Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 AM

55 posts, read 233,872 times

Advertisements

I'm glad about your decision to buy that house, VirtualM! And that you've had the opportunity of meeting some of the great neighbors in West End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Found this interesting article in MSNBC the Westview Community

Middle-class, new developments reeling from vacant homes, shady renters.
Squalor, crime follow wave of foreclosures - Real estate - MSNBC.com
That is one sad, sad piece of journalism. My husband, Patrick, has been working hard on a response to that sorry piece of writing. The reporter actually did a telephone interview with Patrick. That's right, telephone because she's located in New York City and has never been to Atlanta. First of all, she didn't quote a single thing my husband told her (which, to summarize, was that first of all the neighborhood was hit by mortgage fraud, not foreclosure - two very different things! And secondly that good is coming out of bad). But what can I say, she had an agenda and wasn't about to let her agenda be brought down by positive responses. I wish she would have just said "well, I guess Westview doesn't fit into my article, so I'll just leave it out altogether" instead of shaping it into a misrepresented and definitely sensationalized article. Patrick's response will be soon posted on Home - Atlanta Bungalows in the Westview Village and I'll let everyone know when we put it up. Scott Smith's quote was also misrepresented. I talked to Scott, and she twisted things around - there was a Fox5 video (Sidebar Video (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=4966684&version=1&loca le=EN-US - broken link)) a few days later where it better explains what he was trying to tell the previous AP reporter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 AM

I forgot to respond to a few other things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyfun View Post
The realtor and I spent the afternoon looking at properties in the West End proper. The last place we visited was "for the heck of it" in the Westwood Ave / Willard Ave / Gordan Street area. Despite it not having any of my "must have" criteria, I liked it alot. Can any of the West End residents tell me anything about this area? I really liked the house, and the area had a great feel to it. Is it considered West End, or is it more West View?

By the way, thanks for all the feedback.
It was nice meeting you seyfun!

It was pretty funny...Patrick and I were out working in the yard the other day and a gentleman stopped his car by our house and waved. Puzzled us walked up to the car to be greeted by "You're those people from the forum/blog!" - who would have known it was seyfun! About half an hour later he drove back by... "I found my dream house!!". I now see said dream house is listed as "Pending" on Harry Norman. I hope you've got your house seyfun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva05 View Post
westviewbungalow,

I checked out your website and was FLOORED at the low prices of some of the homes in westview! Many of them I visited when looking for my home, so I know they are quality. Even if you have to drop 20-50K for renovations, it still would we a great deal. I sent it to a few friends who were thinking about buying here, and some of them told me they've already picked their houses.
Yay, that is awesome!! I drool every time I update those for sale houses on the website. I could fall in love with so many of them! Keep us posted on your friends.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 AM

51 posts, read 240,351 times
Unfortunately someone else got to that house first. It had gone under contract a week before and the realtor had not updated the listing. I had a nice conversation with his Broker, needless to say.

I have found a house in Grove Park / Hollowell Parkway and HUD has accepted my offer. However, we've just discovered that it may have mold contamination so we are waiting to have a full inspection. I hope it works out, it's 1/3 acre! If things do fall through, I will definately be back in the West View area looking. I second the post about Altoona, Inman and the other streets up there - Nice!

Westviewbungalow, i have to commend you two for all the work you have done to advertise your community. Activists like you two are what turn communities around. I would never have discovered this great area if not for your various web postings.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 AM

That's a shame because the house had been on the market for a good while!

I hope your deal works out by Grove Park - we used to live in a loft right down the street on Hollowell before buying our house in Westview.

Thanks for the compliment - it means a lot to us! We're trying hard to get people to recognize this gorgeous historic area, so your words are too kind.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westviewbungalow View Post
That is one sad, sad piece of journalism. My husband, Patrick, has been working hard on a response to that sorry piece of writing. The reporter actually did a telephone interview with Patrick. That's right, telephone because she's located in New York City and has never been to Atlanta. First of all, she didn't quote a single thing my husband told her (which, to summarize, was that first of all the neighborhood was hit by mortgage fraud, not foreclosure - two very different things! And secondly that good is coming out of bad). But what can I say, she had an agenda and wasn't about to let her agenda be brought down by positive responses. I wish she would have just said "well, I guess Westview doesn't fit into my article, so I'll just leave it out altogether" instead of shaping it into a misrepresented and definitely sensationalized article. Patrick's response will be soon posted on Home - Atlanta Bungalows in the Westview Village and I'll let everyone know when we put it up. Scott Smith's quote was also misrepresented. I talked to Scott, and she twisted things around - there was a Fox5 video (Sidebar Video (http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=4966684&version=1&loca le=EN-US - broken link)) a few days later where it better explains what he was trying to tell the previous AP reporter.
Southwest Atlanta Neighborhoods Take on the Associated Press

In a syndicated article written and widely distributed by the Associated Press the southwest Atlanta neighborhood known as Westview is described as a place where all hope is lost. The article claims “house fires, prostitution, vandals and burglaries terrorize the residents left in this historic neighborhood.”

During the month leading up to the article Janna Elphinstone of the Associated Press interviewed Westview neighbors about mortgage fraud in the area. Both Westview and neighboring West End had been hit hard by mortgage fraud in previous years. The mortgage fraud led to vacant bank-owned homes, which also brought crime to the area. Looters, squatters, vandals, and burglars took advantage of the large inventory of neglected homes.

Over time new life began to emerge in the neighborhoods and an unfortunate situation turned into budding opportunity. New homeowners have begun to purchase the fixer-upper bungalows that dot the streets of Westview and West End. Because of the years of neglect many of the homes were never renovated and remain close to their original condition – large fireplaces, built-in bookcases, coffered ceilings, butler’s pantries, hardwood floors, period light fixtures, and large front porches. Change is inevitable when all of these elements are combined with below-market prices and a location only five minutes from downtown Atlanta.

When speaking with Elphinstone neighbors were delighted that someone in the press was willing to listen. They carefully explained how a bad situation was resulting in positive change. The years of hard work were starting to pay off – or so they thought.

CONTINUE READING THE ARTICLE: News - Atlanta Bungalows in the Westview Village

Old 11-28-2007, 08:15 PM

51 posts, read 240,351 times
WestviewBungalow, you guys keep on keeping on! I love the energy and enthusiasm you two bring to improving your neighborhood. Westview is going to be such a dynamic community with everything the activists are doing down there, lead by you two plugging it on the web.

By the way, I found out today one of my coworkers is trying to get a place on Westmeath (hope I spelled that correctly). I was thrilled for her and told her about how active you guys are, along with the community in general. She will be a great part of the community down there.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 AM

145 posts, read 598,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Found this interesting article in MSNBC the Westview Community

Middle-class, new developments reeling from vacant homes, shady renters.
Squalor, crime follow wave of foreclosures - Real estate - MSNBC.com
Yeah, this article was slanted quite a bit. The Journalist was going to fit Westview into the story one way or another. The way it started out threw up some flags with referring to the street as a cul-de-sac and the caption refers to Westview as an Atlanta suburb. Then it mentions house fires and prostitutes being in Westview??? I guess if those things happen at Sugarloaf CC it could happen anywhere, but Westview is nothing like how this article depicts it. They make it sound like Mad Max beyond Thunder dome. The article is clearly about suburban neighborhoods that are declining due to foreclosures from the mortgage fallout. Westview does not fit that model. The zip code historically has a large number of foreclosures, but it is due to mortgage fraud that took place in the late 1990s and early 2000s. In tax assessment records I've seen homes bought and sold 3, 4, and 5x in a few months and foreclosed after a final sale of 350k on a 3/1 bought for 70k. The good news is that there has been a crackdown in the area against mortgage fraud for the past couple of years. This has resulted in convictions (One individual did fraudulent mortgages on 80 homes!) and reassessment of property values.

I've seen my community (West End) do nothing but get better in my 3 years here. Young couples and families are buying homes that were empty not to flip, but to call home. People here seem to be more interested in revitalizing and preserving than gentrifying. Castleberry Hill and West End have both been destinations for many years, but now the surrounds areas are seeing the pendulum swinging in their favor also. Westside Village (by AU Center), Westview, Capitol View, Sylvan Hills, and other neighborhoods in the SW quadrant are also seeing goods things happening. These neighborhoods are no longer the lead story on the nightly news every night, but vibrant communities that are seeing restaurants, cafes, and retail popping up.

That being said... If the journalist actually came to this section of Atlanta she would see that. She would see the up-close skyline views, MARTA stations, and foot traffic on the streets and know this area is no suburb. It is the urban inner city and has gone through and is going through what other inner city neighborhoods in America's Major cities are. Urban Decay (popular 80s term) has made way for revitalization (popular 00s term).

I'm surprised this thread is still going. It seems like for some they need to be convinced to move to a part of town and for others it seems logical to do so. If I took a poll from my family and friends I probably wouldn't have moved here, because of their misconceptions. Now when they come over they want to walk to the coffee shop, eat on the front porch, or walk to the Marta Station to take the train Downtown or Atlantic Station. It's like they are on a field trip. They are finally starting to see what I saw.

Last edited by davesm; 11-29-2007 at 10:26 AM..

Old 12-04-2007, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 19,568 times
Seyfun, next time you visit let us know we will meet and give you the tour.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyfun View Post
Unfortunately someone else got to that house first. It had gone under contract a week before and the realtor had not updated the listing. I had a nice conversation with his Broker, needless to say.
Seyfun, I looked at your listing today, which was listed as "pending" last time I looked. When I looked this time it was back to "active", so something must have gone wrong with the deal. I don't know what happened to your possibly mold invested home off Bankhead, but I just thought I'd let you know in case that one didn't go as planned. We'd still love to have you and your energy in the neighborhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesm View Post
Then it mentions house fires and prostitutes being in Westview???
Yeah, I always thought you went to the corner of Ponce and Boulevard to get prostitutes. Never seen any in Westview, nor heard of anyone ever complaining about it. Apparently she's just pulling things out of thin air.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,592 times
Default This thread is for West End Historic District

Quote:
Originally Posted by westviewbungalow View Post
Southwest Atlanta Neighborhoods Take on the Associated Press

In a syndicated article written and widely distributed by the Associated Press the southwest Atlanta neighborhood known as Westview is described as a place where all hope is lost. The article claims “house fires, prostitution, vandals and burglaries terrorize the residents left in this historic neighborhood.”

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted material

CONTINUE READING THE ARTICLE: News - Atlanta Bungalows in the Westview Village
This thread is for West End Historic District. If you want to, you can create a new thread and advertise your neighborhood there.

Westview is a completely different neighborhood than West End. West End,in my opinion, is a core of development in the area. The neighborhood has already very strong community and most of the problems mentioned in the above article do not relate to West End Historic District anymore. They are only a history for West End. So don't try to use the position of West End to promote your neighborhood.

Last edited by Yac; 12-17-2007 at 03:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta