Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times

Advertisements

...that leaves us in a contrived situation to scare people who can't think they we need ridiculous ideas like the ones proposed by a bunch of rednecks in the GA legislature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Yeah and what if one of them is superman but you can't hurt him because you forgot your Kryptonite bullets?! Come on, have you ever been in that situation, or think that it is even remotely likely that you will be?
Well, I once was in a situation where several men, at least two of whom turned out to be armed, attempted to tie their boat up at my friend's dock. Had my friend not had a cache of weapons on the property there is a good chance they might have succeeded.

Admittedly that was back in the 1960s but I could envision it happening again.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I once was in a situation where several men, at least two of whom turned out to be armed, attempted to tie their boat up at my friend's dock. Had my friend not had a cache of weapons on the property there is a good chance they might have succeeded.

That is comedy gold.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,562 times
Pirates?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
If even one person, much less a group, is coming at you, do you want to be limited to one round? Suppose they are armed and trained themselves. Where does that leave you?
A movie script? Halo 3? Burned down school in Afghanistan? Oh, you wanted real-life scenarios?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
in what situation is that going to happen? the bourne identity? be realistic— just showing a gun will get 99% of people to back off, and firing it once will do the rest.
Firing once in warning, unless you intend to kill them will get you arrested for menacing, or aggravated assault or something. Not good advice at all to fire a warning shot.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
If even one person, much less a group, is coming at you, do you want to be limited to one round? Suppose they are armed and trained themselves. Where does that leave you?
Where are you getting the impression that anyone is proposing legislation to limit you to one bullet?

Quote:

Oh my, you mean 50 years ago, someone almost got away with tying a boat up to a dock that didn't belong to them? Thank God your friends cache of weapons was there to put an end to the would be crime of the century.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:12 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenerd View Post
Non-career criminals with firearms are responsible rights-abiding adults who mind their own business and the population of non-career criminal gun-owners is as peaceful as entire Western European countries. The idea that we should take away a safety option in edge cases because of even more far-out edge cases smacks of paternalism mired in a deep distrust and disdain for fellow human-beings accompanied by an overly simplistic concept of rights.
Why yes, you are correct. I do have a distrust of most human beings. Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of them are stupider than that.

My mom is in her late 60s, has no mental illness, no criminal background...clean as a whistle. If she were to carry a gun, I have absolutely no doubt that someone would be shot within a year. She has knee-jerk reactions to nearly everything. A simple lane change in traffic causes her to nearly rip the handle out of the ceiling of my car. She nearly had a heart attack when a kid in front of us at a christmas light display touched everything he saw, and she was sure it was all coming down on her, every time. Her first reaction when a business or person does her wrong is to sue them. Not the type of person I want carrying a gun.

Quote:
With all due respect, I think a lot of this anti-gun hysteria is irrationally fear driven.
Bwwaahaha. Wait, wait...and you think the PRO-gun hysteria isn't fear driven? Are you kidding me? If you carry or even own a gun for self defense, then you live in fear.

Quote:
Is there an epidemic of CCL holders suddenly turning into gunslingers shooting up bars and threatening people? I haven't heard of one in recent memory.
Florida Man Arrested for Shooting Thief's Car at Walmart - Guns & Ammo
Florida woman pulls gun after Walmart refuses coupon
http://www.lohud.com/article/2013022...-cabdriver-gun

All three within the past couple of weeks. And that was a quick search. So, are there CCL holders shooting up places and threatening people? Yes. Yes, there are.

Quote:
I humbly submit that some posters need some exposure to what they fear. Maybe we should all make a trip to QuickShot range by Emory; scope the Obama stickers on the cars in the lot, rent a .22lr pistol and shoot off some rounds. When you're done, talk to a few of your fellow shooters - men and women you work with and go to school with about why they chose to protect themselves with deadly force. It would certainly help get some more data points before drawing a hasty media-hyped conclusion.
I don't base my conclusion on what I hear form the media, as I really don't watch that much news. I form my opinion based on what I hear. And I hear fear. Fear from both sides. Some anti-gun people afraid of being shot (which can only happen if there are guns around), and some pro-gun people afraid that their life is constantly being threatened and that they always need immediate access to deadly weapons.

Luckily, I do not live in this fear. I have never owned a gun, and don't plan to unless it becomes really necessary. I haven't held or fired a gun in over 20 years. I have no need or desire for them. And I thoroughly believe that most of the pro-gun hysteria is little more than "It's my right and I will damn well exercise it and you can't do anything about it!" bravado stuff. If friends of mine used arguments like "I would really feel safer at home with a gun", then I might listen. But when they immediately jump to "It's my right!!! They'll have to pry my guns from my cold dead hands!1!!!11!", it's harder to take them seriously.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:12 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Oh my, you mean 50 years ago, someone almost got away with tying a boat up to a dock that didn't belong to them? Thank God your friends cache of weapons was there to put an end to the would be crime of the century.
Well, let's bring it up to modern times. Say you are sitting there on the deck of your Atlantic Station townhouse and a carload of loud, drunk dudes waiving pistols pull up to your garage and start piling out and say they think they'll come on up for a little visit. Are you going to sit there sipping chardonnay or are you going to defend your family and property? To make it a little more realistic, let's say the police are busy elsewhere and there is no law around.

It might have been 50 years ago but at least I am still around to talk about it.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
I think all Ga residents 18+ without a felony should be required to own a gun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta