Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 21,800 times

Advertisements

We are in search of a 4 bdrm house in Alpharetta (or a better area of Roswell) to rent. We would ideally like to keep it around $1400 - $1500, but here's the catch.. We need someone willing to forgo the deposit or willing to let us space out the deposit over a couple of months to help offset all of the expenses being incurred from moving out of state and the fact that my husband had been laid off prior to accepting this new job position. (We can provide proof of excellent income & positive rental history.)

We've contacted dozens of people on Craigslist to no avail. We've contacted a realtor who told us that we wouldn't have any luck through him since his fee is the deposit, etc, etc. The higher end apartment complex isn't an option either. We basically need a home owner who is willing to work with us rather than give the deposit directly to the realtor.

Are there any For rent By Owner websites that are typically used in the Atlanta area? Any smaller newspapers where an owner might have posted an ad? Any other suggestions for finding housing since we're unable to drive by looking for signs or to check local business boards? We should arrive by March 30 and are looking for an April 1st rental. (Can go up to $1600/mo, but would prefer to keep it under $1500 if possible.) We have cats, so a show home is not an option.

At this point we see no other option except to move into a hotel while we save up for the deposits. This isn't the preferred option since we have kids that need to get enrolled into school, so if anyone has any suggestions, we would love to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
You need to stay in Pittsburgh and let your high schoolers finish the school year there. Moving them in April will probably not work well. You will arrive at Spring Break, and when school resumes there will only be 6-7 weeks, which will include state mandated testing and final exams. (Schools are out early here.)

Is there anyway you could stay with friends/family so that money could be saved on your end while husband comes here and lives cheaply and starts working.

Finding no deposit housing is going to really be difficult in this market. The rental market is very hot.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 AM

183 posts, read 352,912 times
I don't really have help for you about the deposit or rental, but just wanted to make sure you are aware that Fulton county schools are out 4/1-4/5 for spring break, and I'm not sure if the school office is open for you to enroll for school during that time (kids return on 4/8 and the school year ends 5/23 fyi)...

Is there no way you can stay where you are at until the school year ends and have hubby rent a longterm hotel room or studio apartment until you and the kids make it out here? It could buy you some time in terms of finding a long term rental (your hubby would have time to look around etc)?

Whatever you decide, good luck and welcome!!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM

I wish it were an option to let them finish out the school year here, but we just don't have the funds to do housing in both locations...not with him having been laid off prior to starting this job, them holding the first paycheck and us having to pay for moving costs from PA. To top it off, over the last month, 5 out of 6 of us came down with strep throat & we don't have medical insurance. (We do with the new job though, so we're very excited about this!) We just keep telling ourselves that things will be cozy again in a few weeks!

Do either of you know what the papers are called there? Do they have a small Penny Saver type of classifieds in that area? I'd like to check there before committing to a hotel & booking the reservations. Thanks!

Oh...and thank you for the warm welcome. We're really looking forward to this move, the new city & the new job!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
thats a tough one...landlords are going to want a deposit especially since you have cats. But good luck

Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM

True. Our cats have become part of the family though. We're all too attached to leave them behind, so hotel it may be for a few weeks...

Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghMom123 View Post
I wish it were an option to let them finish out the school year here, but we just don't have the funds to do housing in both locations...not with him having been laid off prior to starting this job, them holding the first paycheck and us having to pay for moving costs from PA. To top it off, over the last month, 5 out of 6 of us came down with strep throat & we don't have medical insurance. (We do with the new job though, so we're very excited about this!) We just keep telling ourselves that things will be cozy again in a few weeks!

Do either of you know what the papers are called there? Do they have a small Penny Saver type of classifieds in that area? I'd like to check there before committing to a hotel & booking the reservations. Thanks!

Oh...and thank you for the warm welcome. We're really looking forward to this move, the new city & the new job!
Do you have friends that you can leave the high schoolers with?

Hotels are going to be expensive that can hold the 6 of you plus your cat. And many aren't really in good locations.

I know I am harping on your high schoolers, but the testing (end of course testing) they will face could easily mess up their future options. What grades are they in?

I don't think we have Penny Savers here. And landlords, in the good areas, don't really need to be flexible. Schools in Fulton will be closed the first week you are here. It is Spring Break.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 03-11-2013 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Okay so I take it that your husbands new job does not come with relocation expenses. But it is possible to ask for an advance that he pays back through payroll deductions?

I agree with others, if your husband came down on his own he can rent a room or cheap hotel much easier until you have the funds for a down payment.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM

183 posts, read 352,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I agree with others, if your husband came down on his own he can rent a room or cheap hotel much easier until you have the funds for a down payment.
Great option...

Maybe rent a room temporarily for himself as an option while you stay in Pittsburgh with the kids (I assume) until summer? It'll be a lot cheaper and might even cover rent in both cities? AND because he won't have the kids, he can rent a room in a different city (disregarding school district hence cheaper rent) until you find your ideal rental in or about Alpharetta...not sure where your husband's job is located though.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM

An advance would be ideal, but I think he'll balk at the idea of making that request so early into a new position. (This is his first week.) Neither of us have family and we've moved around too frequently trying to accelerate his career to this level... Our friends aren't the kind that we could ask favors of. We've already sublet our existing rental, so it's too late to back out there also. It's a final decision as far as all of us making the transition at the same time.

He didn't go to college until mid-30's so we've been playing catch up on the career ladder... He's doing great though and wrapped up his Master's Degree last yr. I'm very proud of him and this job is a great opportunity for him. We just need to ride out this little wave for a couple of weeks. We talked at lunch today and I think we're going to do the hotel for 2 weeks and then transition into a house since the rent would be prorated & we'd have that additional check + have had time to tour the area a bit.

Thanks everyone! I do value your thoughts and opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: