Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
I think that it is silly to be talking about replacing both stadiums.

The Georgia Dome was built in 1992. It's only 21 years old. The Louisiana Super Dome was built in the 70s, opening in 1975, a full 17 years before the Georgia Dome, and they are not talking about replacing it. The Dome is not an old stadium. Why replace it?

Turner Field is the converted 1996 Olympic Stadium. When converted, it opened for the Braves in 1997, just 16 years ago. Seriously, a spot for a new Braves stadium?
I think Turner more has to do with the neighborhood its in, which I don't think is bad. I've walked from Turner Field many nights to GA State Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
I think that it is silly to be talking about replacing both stadiums.

The Georgia Dome was built in 1992. It's only 21 years old. The Louisiana Super Dome was built in the 70s, opening in 1975, a full 17 years before the Georgia Dome, and they are not talking about replacing it. The Dome is not an old stadium. Why replace it?

Turner Field is the converted 1996 Olympic Stadium. When converted, it opened for the Braves in 1997, just 16 years ago. Seriously, a spot for a new Braves stadium?
Its not now but years away. Atlanta has two teams in the Falcons and Braves that have an extremely high chance of being world champions in their respected sport this year. When this teams bring home championships they will demand better facilities especially the Braves who already have a world series title.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:09 PM

361 posts, read 748,402 times
Are the Braves really considering a new stadium too? Had not heard this. Details?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
I agree, the old GA dome area must be turned into something other than a parking lot or addition to the GWCC. It should serve as a major conduit that connects the Eastern and Western portions of our city.

The city should actually do this idea: Plans & Initiatives | Green Line Plan

And have it connect to that new green space. Make it a huge green space / park for tailgating like the Grove at Ole Miss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grove_(Ole_Miss)
I think the city would love to integrate the new stadium into the green line. Connecting it to a new-and-improved downtown would represent a huge leap over the Georgia Dome's rather isolated location (by foot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well the MMPT will be replacing (and building over) the massive parking decks in the gulch. Most of it is owned by the CNN Center and is used for event parking and worker parking.

The MMPT won't be able to build that amount of parking, so Downtown is actually losing event parking on two fronts.

If in the future we actually build a full Georgia rail system, I would think the demand for parking from people traveling away would be high. (Small side quip... this is actually something that might make megabus more appealing)

In the short-run the MMPT could probably sell the parking to local workers and events just fine.

The whole GWCC (including the Dome) only has about 4,000 parking spaces.

The new site for the Dome will likely displace the Orange and brown lots (although tentatively parts of the brown lot can be rebuilt with parking).

http://www.gadome.com/doc/Campus%20P...generic%20.pdf

That is a loss of 880 spaces.

However, the red deck..

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=atlan...,+Georgia&z=18

...is that little green plaza between the Dome, Phillips and the GWCC. It is 2,000 parking spaces. It is 7 levels of parking below downtown street level down into the gulch.

I'm thinking if we carry over that same concept the GWCC can replace those 880 lost spaces and even add parking (since parking will be tighter once the MMPT and adjacent private properties are redeveloped). We can make a larger park & Plaza at downtown street level, which is good for tailgating and public events. It could feasibly be a larger park that quite literally connects to the MMPT and all of the vent facilities.

The Caveat is we have to create some type of street level development along Northside Drive to hide the parking deck (Northside drive is slightly higher than 7 levels lower in elevation than the downtown street grid)

We need a clever way to to engineer pedestrian connections between the West Plaza of Building C and Northside Drive to the upper levels of the park.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=atlan...,+Georgia&z=17
Losing parking space really doesn't bother me. Let's not forget that if they go with the south site--which I hope they do--the new stadium, just like the old, will have TWO rail stops. And that's not including the future MMPT. How many large stadiums in the WORLD can say that they are within easy walking distance of two transit stops?

That said, we will need some parking. But I do like the green line's suggestion to integrate parking into the buildings themselves. That needs to be a major goal of any kind of downtown improvement: build over as many of those surface lots as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Maybe a local company such as Coca Cola or Georgia Pacific, should be interesting.
That would be pretty cool. Or, the Home Depot Center has a nice ring to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It would be a meadow of flowers and a peace fountain in the middle where people can drink from it and instantly be at peace.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach salsa View Post
What gets re-developed first, the current Dome site or
the area around Turner field ?
I seriously hope that it's the Dome site. On paper I love the plans for the downtown green line, but wow, that is going to be an investment on the order of several billions of dollars. Given the choice between that and upgrading the area around Turner Field, however, I'll take downtown in a heartbeat.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 882 times
The site that you encircled for a "potential new Braves stadium" is part of the Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal. That entire triangular piece between Centennial Olympic Park Drive, MLK, and Spring Streets is the main portion of the MMPT with extensions raching toward Five Points Station and the arena/stadium areas.

MLK Drive is already planned to be realigned and an addition of some other streets will be included to re-establish a portion of this part of the city grid broken up far too long.

There should be a press release on the design later this summer,early fall.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Whatever comes of the MMPT and the new Falcons stadium, I hope that the city has enough foresight to design the area as if it were one connected complex, even if they aren't built simultaneously, like the CNN Center and Philips Arena.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2013 View Post
The site that you encircled for a "potential new Braves stadium" is part of the Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal. That entire triangular piece between Centennial Olympic Park Drive, MLK, and Spring Streets is the main portion of the MMPT with extensions raching toward Five Points Station and the arena/stadium areas.

MLK Drive is already planned to be realigned and an addition of some other streets will be included to re-establish a portion of this part of the city grid broken up far too long.

There should be a press release on the design later this summer,early fall.
The tracks will run under the viaducts. The new Braves stadium will rise over them like Philips Arena and the stadium would be connected to the MMPT directly.

Could you imagine getting off the MARTA train and walking into a ticket booth such as at the airport for a Braves game.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ta_Airport.jpg

Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
I think football stadiums in a city's core are generally a bad idea. Unlike a baseball stadium or basketball arena (e.g., Wrigley Field or the Verizon Center), they are entirely too large to integrate into the surrounding areas on a human scale. And they aren't as versatile in use as basketball arenas, which are more frequently used as concert, commencement, worship venues, etc. You have a huge stadium taking up a huge footprint that's really only generating money for five months out of the year.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
The tracks will run under the viaducts. The new Braves stadium will rise over them like Philips Arena and the stadium would be connected to the MMPT directly.

Could you imagine getting off the MARTA train and walking into a ticket booth such as at the airport for a Braves game.

File:MARTA Airport Station; Atlanta Airport.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Yes I can, and I have at Penn Station which sits under Madison Square garden, and it's absolutely atrocious! The station is a mess due to that big ugly thing sitting on top of it, it's cramped, dirty, stifling under there. Penn Station is a good example of what NOT to do. Connect them laterally? Sure, but don't stick the stadium right on top of the train station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think football stadiums in a city's core are generally a bad idea. Unlike a baseball stadium or basketball arena (e.g., Wrigley Field or the Verizon Center), they are entirely too large to integrate into the surrounding areas on a human scale. And they aren't as versatile in use as basketball arenas, which are more frequently used as concert, commencement, worship venues, etc. You have a huge stadium taking up a huge footprint that's really only generating money for five months out of the year.
Actually, if you measure baseball stadiums, they're generally bigger than football stadiums. But, if they're going to realign MLK drive, they should just put a new Braves stadium on the "south site," leave the dome where it is, and the whole area becomes a year-round attractive sportsplex between these and Phillips Arena.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Actually, if you measure baseball stadiums, they're generally bigger than football stadiums. But, if they're going to realign MLK drive, they should just put a new Braves stadium on the "south site," leave the dome where it is, and the whole area becomes a year-round attractive sportsplex between these and Phillips Arena.
Are they? I can't tell much of a difference between Jets and Yankee stadium. But you're right in that they both have large footprints.

jets stadium - Google Maps

Google Maps

The big difference, I think, is that football stadiums are built with more parking because people expect to tailgate. Who wants to just get off a subway and walk into a football stadium? The whole point is to fire up the grill and pre-game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta