Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I also like how it gets the tax evaders.
If you are referring to sales taxes, it does not. People can just buy their goods from the "Black Market" and not pay taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,763 times
Although I would like to see some income tax reduction, I am wondering how we can balance the defict of future state revenue. Unlike TX, we do not have oil money, neither do we have the beaches to attract tourism in FL. Sales tax in metro Atlanta is already 6-8% range. Do you think we can go higher without pushing local shoppers away? If CA is under due to its Democratic agenda, GA will put itself at risk for its extreme Republic ideology.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If you are referring to sales taxes, it does not. People can just buy their goods from the "Black Market" and not pay taxes.
When I have been in Florida the Publixs seem to be doing well. They also have higher property taxes in nonincome taxed states. Can you tell me about the "black market" of RE property taxes? They do not exist.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
And why punish people for working?
Why do you assume that taxes are a form of punishment?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
When I have been in Florida the Publixs seem to be doing well. They also have higher property taxes in nonincome taxed states. Can you tell me about the "black market" of RE property taxes? They do not exist.
Florida's sales tax is in the 6-8% range like GA and the state does not collect property tax (but local municipalities do). But yes I agree that property taxes are hard to dodge, probably even more so than income taxes. Are you now suggesting that Georgia collect property taxes instead of an income tax? This bill only focuses on switching from income to a sales tax.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Why do you assume that taxes are a form of punishment?
I don't.

But consider this sitaution. You've got two able bodied men. One of them gets up every day and busts his tail to make a living and support his family and community. He doesn't get any checks from the government.

The other one lays around smoking dope and drinking and having babies he doesn't support while drawing a check paid out of public funds.

The one who works gets docked for a tidy portion of the fruits of his labor. However, he keeps on chugging because he knows that if he doesn't work he and his family and his whole community suffer.

The guy who doesn't work isn't paying in a dime yet he knows his check(s) will be there every month. Maybe his family which he is not taking care of gets checks, too.

My question is which behaviors are we incentivizing and which ones are we punishing?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
OK...so if we eliminate income tax (or sales tax, for that matter), what spending are we going to cut to make up for the loss of revenue? That's the part no one ever seems to consider when they start talking about cutting taxes.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
My question is which behaviors are we incentivizing and which ones are we punishing?
Now we are talking about something separate. This issue is often over stated and dramatized. But yes, no one should be rewarded for not having a job.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
I agree. Many people from the NE go down to Florida for vacations and the stores in Palm Beach, Miami, etc. are always packed. (They also own many of the condos and houses so... the higher property taxes do not seem to affect their real estate market.)

I also like how it gets the tax evaders.
I seriously doubt that Georgia's sales / income tax structure has anything to do with folks on vacation in Miami spending money.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Alright folks - the state has to have a revenue source....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: