U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM

30,643 posts, read 29,204,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Other research shows that 84 percent of 18 to 34-year-olds currently renting intend to buy a home at some point even if they cannot currently afford to do so. The great news for Atlanta homebuilders is that a recent Trulia study says 31 percent of renters want to buy a home in the next two years.

Where do they intend to buy this home?

Increasing evidence says, the Suburbs.

Millennials want to raise their families in the type of places they grew up, which for the overwhelming majority of them was the suburbs. They want big yards, good schools and safe environments.

More....Millennials Will Be the New Atlanta Real Estate Suburbanites | Atlanta Real Estate Forum

Looks like it's already happening in New York. Creating Hipsturbia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM

10,402 posts, read 10,506,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Looks like it's already happening in New York. Creating Hipsturbia
And that is not a bad thing...

Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,334,202 times
Pretty good summary of the NYT article:

Urgent New York Times Trend News: Middle-Aged White People Have Jobs, Move Out of the City

Shocking that middle class (mostly white) people seek things like space and educational opportunities.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Pretty good summary of the NYT article:

Urgent New York Times Trend News: Middle-Aged White People Have Jobs, Move Out of the City

Shocking that middle class (mostly white) people seek things like space and educational opportunities.
I was under the impression that zillions of middle aged middle class black people with jobs were doing the same thing.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 PM

3,317 posts, read 4,968,883 times
Of course the majority of Millennials will end up in the burbs. The key, to me, is the breakdown of the following groups:

1. Millennials who live in the burbs and are happy there
2. Millennials who live in the burbs and wish they lived intown
3. Millennials who live in the city and are happy there
4. Millennials who live in the city and wish they lived in the burbs

Definitely groups 1 through 3 are well represented. I've been part of 2 and 3 at points, as have most of my friends. But I'm not sure I've ever met someone in group 4.

The number of people who live in the city will always be constrained by economics--it will be the costlier, less practical option for the foreseeable future. But there definitely seems to be more desire to move into the city right now than to get out of it among the younger generation.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM

I'd like to see Millennials give themselves permission to live as they deem best, instead of trying to measure up to what they perceive as someone else's standards.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 PM

858 posts, read 1,193,282 times
That sounds like a totally anecdotal filler article with no numbers to back anything up. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,645,075 times
It's a real estate forum. What do you expect? They want new people to buy homes out in the suburbs so they can make $$$. Meanwhile, terrible traffic continues to get terrible, especially for those suburbanites who commute from cities 20+ miles out. All the good schools are in the worst traffic corridors(Northern metro).

Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Meanwhile, terrible traffic continues to get terrible, especially for those suburbanites who commute from cities 20+ miles out. All the good schools are in the worst traffic corridors(Northern metro).
Of course many of the big corporate employers are in the suburbs. So for a lot of people living in the suburbs gives them a shorter commute than they would have if they lived intown.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 PM

1,258 posts, read 3,787,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Of course many of the big corporate employers are in the suburbs. So for a lot of people living in the suburbs gives them a shorter commute than they would have if they lived intown.
Even in Atlanta, are there more high paying jobs in In/On the Perimeter, or outside? I think Downtown + Midtown + Buckhead + Perimeter account for a very huge percentage of class A office space. (I think Perimeter belongs to ITP rather than the suburbs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta