U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 181,787 times

Advertisements

Well, I got into an accident today on LaVista coming home from school. I'll spare the details, but it involved me and two cars in front of me and some traffic right off a green light. No major damage was incurred, just mostly bent bumpers.
The question I have is in regards to the ticket I got. What is the fine for "Following too close"? This is for Dekalb county, but if someone has ballpark figures from other counties, that might be helpful too.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,258,584 times
I got the same in Cobb and it was around $80 as I recall.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 PM

232 posts, read 1,598,020 times
i used to work as an officer in dekalb.. you can expect to pay around $100, give or take a little

Old 10-25-2007, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the replies KevK and Steven2149.
Man, $80-100 sucks. But I guess it's all relative. Since I am a full time student (60-80hr homework means no job), $80-100 is a bite in the rear.
I would trade in driving my truck for MARTA, but I'm not so happy about having to flip over 3 buses to get to where I'm going.

I did look at some other places and they carried fines of $25-$65, but those were for more rural areas. I guess that's the price you have to pay when you live in the city.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,175,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truzen View Post
I guess that's the price you have to pay when you live in the city.
Well, actually, that's the price you pay for following too closely. City or rural, it wouldn't matter.

Rule of thumb: If the car in front of you passes an object (pole, light, etc) and it takes you LESS than 3 full seconds to reach that same object, then you won't be able to stop quickly enough if they suddenly stop to avoid hitting them. In most areas, you being behind will be considered most at fault.

Most people DO follow too closely. That's why you have multi car pileups when there is a sudden wreck. If folks stayed back some, then a wreck would stop with the two involved and not add-on all of the other pilers.

Just let it be a lesson. It'll save you $$ in the future - and consider yourself lucky - there are some places in the country that charge MUCH more than here in Atlanta (my sister paid a $500 fine for it once).

Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 AM

*shrug* I really don't know what happened as I normally give myself the 3 second spacing. Either my mind was on work or I was checking my speed, but that's really no good excuse for what happened.
$500 huh? Where was that at so I know to give a city block length for the car in front of me ;-)

Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,175,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truzen View Post
*shrug* I really don't know what happened as I normally give myself the 3 second spacing. Either my mind was on work or I was checking my speed, but that's really no good excuse for what happened.
$500 huh? Where was that at so I know to give a city block length for the car in front of me ;-)
This was a year or so ago in WV. I remember reading once in one of the other rooms someone paying something like $1000 for one, too - but can't remember if that's all they did or what state room it was in. Either way, overall most of Georgia's ticketing fees are CHEAP compared with some other states.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:14 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,024,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
This was a year or so ago in WV. I remember reading once in one of the other rooms someone paying something like $1000 for one, too - but can't remember if that's all they did or what state room it was in. Either way, overall most of Georgia's ticketing fees are CHEAP compared with some other states.

WV. One of the poorest states in the US. I guess they have to make money however they can.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM

431 posts, read 1,975,337 times
It's the end of the month. cops are ticket happy. I just got a ticket today one block from my house! that totally s*cks. I was doing 47 in a school zone which is 25. and i consider myself a slow driver considering i feel like everyone else around me is going to run me over when they are flying down the street. i'm in gwinnett county. how much is that ticket gonna cost me? do i have to go to court or can i just pay the thing?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,024,165 times
Unfortunately for you, school zone speeding tickets probably carry stiffer fines than non-school zone tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta