U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 PM

23,304 posts, read 17,479,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
$200 million is going to a private interest, for no real benefit to Atlanta. If an older stadium, in a more economically depressed and crime-filled city than Atlanta can attract event after event, including surviving a major Hurricane, then there's no reason why a new stadium in Atlanta is going to attract anything new. If the state requires the money to be spent on a new stadium, then build a new baseball stadium at the South site and create a sportsplex-like area, like the Meadowlands complex in New Jersey which can create a year-round commercial focus unlike our current two separate areas. If you don't want a new baseball stadium, then spend the money on other tourist-oriented improvements that will actually have an effect, improve Underground for instance. If the state won't let you, then sit on it till they will, but don't hand it over to a private interest with 0 return on investment.
The superdome gets events because NOLA is known as being a party town and its the only thing keeping that city alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 02:54 PM

5,262 posts, read 4,011,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The superdome gets events because NOLA is known as being a party town and its the only thing keeping that city alive.
Well then instead of dumping millions on a new rich person's toy, Atlanta could work on its image. I'm not saying it should try to copy New Orleans, or strive to be New York, but that much money would go a VERY long way toward improving Atlanta's year-round image across all kinds of events, not just a dozen times a year for one sport.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Well then instead of dumping millions on a new rich person's toy, Atlanta could work on its image. I'm not saying it should try to copy New Orleans, or strive to be New York, but that much money would go a VERY long way toward improving Atlanta's year-round image across all kinds of events, not just a dozen times a year for one sport.
Well current Dome is hosting the Final Four, which creates more advertising income than the super bowl, Chick-fil-a Bowl, SEC football championship, SEC basketball championship, Chik-fil-a Kick-off Game, GA high school football championship, GSU football games, hosted 60,000 people for a christian event, Soccer games, and numerous other events for GWCC.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Well current Dome is hosting the Final Four, which creates more advertising income than the super bowl, Chick-fil-a Bowl, SEC football championship, SEC basketball championship, Chik-fil-a Kick-off Game, GA high school football championship, GSU football games, hosted 60,000 people for a christian event, Soccer games, and numerous other events for GWCC.
So if the current dome can do it...why do we need a new one again?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM

29,284 posts, read 26,221,101 times
Quote:
So if the current dome can do it...why do we need a new one again?
Because it will (hopefully) be purtier and the NFL says we have to.

Those are rather compelling arguments, wouldn't you say?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Because it will (hopefully) be purtier and the NFL says we have to.

Those are rather compelling arguments, wouldn't you say?
Since when did the NFL get elected Emperor of Atlanta?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Since when did the NFL get elected Emperor of Atlanta?
Premier Goddell rules everything, he even owns the white house.
I am not for public money going towards a new stadium. There is nothing wrong with the Dome, but I think GWCC officials see the future money it'll take to keep the Done up-to-date and competing with newer stadiums and figured why not just invest the money in a new stadium. Much like an older used car, that is starting to need lots of maintenance.
I would rather have the Final Four than a Super Bowl any day. The last 5 have been terrible.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM

347 posts, read 342,989 times
Key Issue: Strengthening The City Vs. Falcons' Tailgating - Stadiumwire - Curbed Atlanta

At the end it ask what YOUR ideal vision is and should it be on the south site. I think everyone is in agreence that is should be on the south site near both MARTA stations (Dome and Vine City).

Definitely think they need to line the side where the current Dome is with street level shops/businesses but within a parking deck that is built to look more like a building versus a normal and obvious deck. I think pusing the deck back some with huge, plaza style sidewalks will also give a space where people can tailgate and interact without the sea of parking. I'd also open the main streets to parking so people wouldn't have to move their stuff from the deck and walk a block or 2 to set up.

Across the street near Vine City station I'd build more shops in that space just south of the station and in the station parking lot. Going north within the first block from Northside I'd build condo/apt style buildings lining Northside anywhere from 5 to 10 stories, some with street level shops along Northside. As you develop more into the neighborhood I'd change to townhomes then to single family homes to mix into the current neighborhood. I'd also have some for lower income people as well as full market. I think having some shops and restuarants mixed with amenities and services for some of the lower income people in the shops lining Northside will bring a mix of people too and create a strip that is vibrant at all times even if the deck is primarily only full during game days. Limiting the amount of spaces will prompt more to just take the MARTA to the games while still getting the "tailgate" experience for those who come early.

Mixing in vendors and street carts that actually sell food with the tailgaters would be great too. Even having the other side of the street for parking would allow food trucks to set up during game day will still keeping Northside with 2 lanes in each direction. It would just slow traffic down in the area, which will be good for people to see all the shops and businesses on the street.

Maybe even turning the land where the projects between Cameron Alexander and John street along Northside into "Falcons Park" where people can come and tailgate and even build a huge digital monitor to show the game for those in the park and people driving by on Northside.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,735,446 times
Five firms vie for Falcons stadium design job | www.ajc.com

Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,735,446 times
Falcons and GWCCA select front-runner to design new stadium | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or