Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Because it will (hopefully) be purtier and the NFL says we have to.

Those are rather compelling arguments, wouldn't you say?
I am not aware of any demands from the NFL. However, there was also speculation that a new stadium was needed to convince the Falcons to remain in Atlanta. I don't recall seeing any "hard evidence" to suggest that this was the case, but I can see why the City would vie for a new stadium, simply to negate the possibility of loosing (another) pro sports team. Being in a better position to bid on things such as the Super Bowl is "icing on the cake," when compared to a move that would prevent a pro football team from leaving town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM

557 posts, read 810,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I would rather have the Final Four than a Super Bowl any day. The last 5 have been terrible.
Wow

You can't be serious.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I was hoping a local firm would get the contract.
Stadium design is a very specialized segment of the architecture field, and very few firms are capable of doing it well. There are no local firms with the required experience to pull off something like this. HKS, TVS, and Gensler all have local offices, but their sports groups aren't based here.

That said, there will likely be supporting players on the design team that are local. The geotechnical engineering firm will be local (the always are- need to know the characteristics of the local soils), and one of the top structural engineers in the country/world has an office here, and has designed the structure for the last few retractable roof stadiums. 360 may also use a local architect as the "working architect", to do all the detail drawings, assist with permitting and local code issues, and do other grunt work while they focus on the overall design concepts.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Well current Dome is hosting the Final Four, which creates more advertising income than the super bowl, Chick-fil-a Bowl, SEC football championship, SEC basketball championship, Chik-fil-a Kick-off Game, GA high school football championship, GSU football games, hosted 60,000 people for a christian event, Soccer games, and numerous other events for GWCC.
I would still to the annuals in this arguement. I see what you mean, but its better to mention just the annual events over the special events.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I would still to the annuals in this arguement. I see what you mean, but its better to mention just the annual events over the special events.
We can add NCAA football playoffs to the annual events list. Chick-fil-A Bowl expected to land college football semifinal game | www.ajc.com

Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
We can add NCAA football playoffs to the annual events list. Chick-fil-A Bowl expected to land college football semifinal game | www.ajc.com
Atlanta landed a semi-final game. It was announced last night on their Facebook page.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat2012 View Post
Careful, dude. You have an opinion different than some of these internet tough guys and "Your a idiot."
LOL at internet Tough Guys lol...I know who you are talking about.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Atlanta is getting a better deal than Minneapolis. Price Tag Aside, There's a Lot to Admire About the Designs for the New Vikings Stadium - Mark Byrnes - The Atlantic Cities
The new Vikings Stadium is using $500M in public funding.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
The new Vikings Stadium is using $500M in public funding.
How much in public funding are we using? There's the initial $200 million in construction bonds. Plus the (unspecified) hundreds of millions of dollars over 30 years that will go to offset the Falcons’ expenses. Plus land acquisition costs. And infrastructure costs. Demolition and remediation of the Dome site. Loss of revenues from the Dome.

That adds up to what?

Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How much in public funding are we using? There's the initial $200 million in construction bonds. Plus the (unspecified) hundreds of millions of dollars over 30 years that will go to offset the Falcons’ expenses. Plus land acquisition costs. And infrastructure costs. Demolition and remediation of the Dome site. Loss of revenues from the Dome.

That adds up to what?
Capped at $200M. Falcons pay any overages, Falcons pay expenses to run the new stadium, Falcons pay the GWCC rent. The Dome's cost is 100% GWCC funded and maintained and due for hundreds of millions in renovations and maintenance over the next few years.

Easy decision. Save the state money. Add appeal and attract more events. Drop the dome for this new stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta