Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,762,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I think you have two types of marta reviewers or possibly three. For the purpose of the below, consider the inner core of Atlanta where there are two rail lines running at the same time for both north/south and east/west.

1. People that ride Marta during business hours to and from work.

2. People that only ride Marta on the weekends.

3. That special group of people that do both, regularly.

People that are in option 1 will see a world class transit agency with high frequency. I rarely wait more than a minute to catch a train going to or from work. The trains are also packed.

People in option two however, will view Marta as being a much slower and unreliable system. Trains are not running at peak hours, you have single tracking, etc.

I believe Marta's weekend service will start to reflect it's more reliable and frequent weekday service as the core starts to grow with residents. All the new apartment developments and jobs moving intown will only help this.
Also weekend is when MARTA performs track maintenance and upgrades. Once that ends the frequencey will rise to 15 minutes during peak hours again.
Quote:
For metro Atlanta Marta's coverage overall is pretty terrible.
That is not MARTA's fault that Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton counties did not approve the sales tax. Clayton residents want to, but the county commissioners are holding back from putting a binding vote to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:35 AM

32,000 posts, read 36,614,978 times
Quote:
I believe Marta's weekend service will start to reflect it's more reliable and frequent weekday service as the core starts to grow with residents. All the new apartment developments and jobs moving intown will only help this.
The intown residential growth is the key to supporting transit. NPU-B and NPU-E have grown like crazy, and NPU's P, M, F and C are coming on strong as well.

I'm afraid we still have a long way to go in order to make up for the massive intown job loss of the 2000s, however. Be that as it may, we intowners still need a way to get around!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM

749 posts, read 884,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is not MARTA's fault that Cobb, Gwinnett and Clayton counties did not approve the sales tax. Clayton residents want to, but the county commissioners are holding back from putting a binding vote to the public.
Exactly. The same people that want to complain about how much Marta sucks are the same people that continuously vote it down.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
The same people that want to complain about how much Marta sucks are the same people that continuously vote it down.
I can't remember MARTA coming up for a vote since the original referendum 40 years ago. When was the last time it was voted down?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 AM

4,764 posts, read 5,404,667 times
Why is Marta single tracking and running limited train service on Memorial Day Weekend? This train system never ceases to amaze me, with droves of people attending the Jazz Festival, who in the world want to be delayed by trains as Marta works on train tracks this weekend. Really smart Marta.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Why is Marta single tracking and running limited train service on Memorial Day Weekend? This train system never ceases to amaze me, with droves of people attending the Jazz Festival, who in the world want to be delayed by trains as Marta works on train tracks this weekend. Really smart Marta.
Single tracking should be more than adequate to take care of the Fulton and DeKalb residents who are interested in attending this event.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:33 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,762,829 times
Quote:
Better than doing it during the work week when hundreds of thousands of people are using to get to a job on time.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:55 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,934,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can't remember MARTA coming up for a vote since the original referendum 40 years ago. When was the last time it was voted down?
The current 1% sales tax was set to be reduced to 0.5% in 2032 ... Now .5 @ 2047 => 2057

Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,213,065 times
The new MARTA CEO seems to be gradually bringing some credibility to MARTA. I hope it's enough to get some state funding one day.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:47 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,213,065 times
Mass transit? Near Turner Field? Hopefully!

Would-be Developers Offer Ideas for Land Adjacent to Turner Field (WABE)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta