Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM

183 posts, read 298,236 times

Advertisements

Atlanta has got to be one of the least segregated cities I've spent time in IMO. I know a lot of places south of 20 are majority black, but honestly, everywhere else I go within the metro, I see a healthy mix of everyone. My high school, as with a lot of high schools in Cobb County are extremely diverse and all the students mingle together. Many Cobb and Gwinnett, and even North Fulton schools, no matter what ethnicity you are, you will feel comfortable. And as a black male, I can literally go to any corner of metro(except Forsyth maybe, never been but I've heard about it) and I'll see a number of blacks. I know for a fact I can't say that about the DC area, NYC, and definitely not LA. Not to Georgia State University was ranked as one of the most diverse universities. And as far as North Dekalb, like Druid Hills area, when I go over that way, I see quite a diverse mix out there as well. So not looking into statistics, but actually living, working, and playing in this city, its every integrated for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
Atlanta has got to be one of the least segregated cities I've spent time in IMO. I know a lot of places south of 20 are majority black, but honestly, everywhere else I go within the metro, I see a healthy mix of everyone. My high school, as with a lot of high schools in Cobb County are extremely diverse and all the students mingle together. Many Cobb and Gwinnett, and even North Fulton schools, no matter what ethnicity you are, you will feel comfortable. And as a black male, I can literally go to any corner of metro(except Forsyth maybe, never been but I've heard about it) and I'll see a number of blacks. I know for a fact I can't say that about the DC area, NYC, and definitely not LA. Not to Georgia State University was ranked as one of the most diverse universities. And as far as North Dekalb, like Druid Hills area, when I go over that way, I see quite a diverse mix out there as well. So not looking into statistics, but actually living, working, and playing in this city, its every integrated for the most part.
True about North Druid Hills. If you judge it by the people on the streets and at the bus stops in the AM, its quite diverse...about an equal mix of white, black and Asian.
My building in Buckhead (next to Phipps Plaza) is quite diverse.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
It's thirteen year old data. I think the suburbs have gotten much more integrated in the last 13 years, intown neighborhoods maybe less so.
Many intown areas have way more diversity than almost any of the suburbs.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Many intown areas have way more diversity than almost any of the suburbs.
You don't go OTP very much do you?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
You don't go OTP very much do you?
Actually I do, and I'm aware there are SOME areas that are fairly diverse in the suburbs, especially on the northeast side, however MOST suburbs are more uniformly one race.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Actually I do, and I'm aware there are SOME areas that are fairly diverse in the suburbs, especially on the northeast side, however MOST suburbs are more uniformly one race.
Well the suburbs appear to be more diverse to me..not that there aren't intown areas that are diverse as well. Many of the single-family housing areas is often very pricey or is the rock bottom side of town no one wants with just a few areas in transition between the two.

The surburbs in comparison are more like mixing grounds right now, more than being uniformly one race and it isn't just a few areas.

It tends to discourage diversity by economic placement alone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	diversityindexATL.JPG
Views:	4366
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	109222

source:http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...011_Census.pdf

Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
As intown Atlanta continues to gentrify I think you will see more and more segregation. In 10-20 years time most of the area north of I-20 will be rather homogeneous as well as a good chunk of south of I-20. Also, I think it will happen in the NE part of intown (Brookhaven, Chamblee). For example, just look at Lynwood Park. 10 years ago it was almost exclusively black. When Brookhaven started becoming desirable developers bought a large amount of the homes and knocked them down and built McMansions and are continuing as we speak. While I do not agree with it at all, I don't really know how to stop it.

I think Atlanta's standing as one of the least segregated cities is just because the city is in transition. 10-15 years ago the suburbs were close to lily white, and now people are moving in town. As this trend continues you will see the demographics continue to change.

This.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 PM

Aries, you are definitely right, just about anywhere intown (except south and many areas to the west), you see a great mix of everybody, not just visiting or working in that particular area, but actually living there. This includes the Buckhead, Druid Hills, Decatur(city limits), Brookhaven, midtown, etc..and you'll even see different cultures hanging out together as well. And this goes for both ITP and OTP. To me, no matter what your ethnicity, you could literally IMO live anywhere and feel perfectly comfortable and you'll see someone who looks like you. Some areas may have more Asians, Hispanics, Blacks, than others, but still, you'll definitely see plenty of either anywhere in the metro living and conversing side by side. So the notion that Atlanta is segregated, has got to be the biggest load of BS I've heard. Now with that said, yes, you do have a black population here, that is IMO pretty segregated along and south of I 20 and many of those schools are 100% black, but thats only a portion of the metro and you have just as many blacks who live in integrated areas. Also, I went down to the Hapeville area a few weeks ago, and I actually was shocked to see that area was quite diverse as well. I actually kind of liked the area as well. When I'm ready for my next move within the next year, I'll definitely look further into that area.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
Now with that said, yes, you do have a black population here, that is IMO pretty segregated along and south of I 20 and many of those schools are 100% black, but thats only a portion of the metro and you have just as many blacks who live in integrated areas. Also, I went down to the Hapeville area a few weeks ago, and I actually was shocked to see that area was quite diverse as well. I actually kind of liked the area as well. When I'm ready for my next move within the next year, I'll definitely look further into that area.
What gets me is that on several posts on this thread, people make mention of how "South of I-20 is majority black" as an aside about the un-integratedness of Metro Atlanta but do not make the same aside about the other reality: North of I-20 is majority White...and for a far larger area than south of I-20 is majority Black.

However, as you noted in the part I bolded, I think that "south of I-20" line is causally thrown around by folks who have never actually spent much time south of I-20 except for at the Airport. East Point, Hapeville, College Park, Clayton County, and increasingly Henry and Fayette county are quite diverse. What is notable is that the south side is majority black in most places...which is pretty jarring for people who are not used to it.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What gets me is that on several posts on this thread, people make mention of how "South of I-20 is majority black" as an aside about the un-integratedness of Metro Atlanta but do not make the same aside about the other reality: North of I-20 is majority White...and for a far larger area than south of I-20 is majority Black.

However, as you noted in the part I bolded, I think that "south of I-20" line is causally thrown around by folks who have never actually spent much time south of I-20 except for at the Airport. East Point, Hapeville, College Park, Clayton County, and increasingly Henry and Fayette county are quite diverse. What is notable is that the south side is majority black in most places...which is pretty jarring for people who are not used to it.
I definitely agree with you. A lot of people here do not leave their areas at all. I have not spent any time in Fayette County, and very little Henry, but when I did go to Henry, I saw a nice mixture there as well, and what people don't know about Clayco is that theres a HUGE asian and hispanic population down there. Theres an H Mart and a Hindu temple as well I believe. And of course, everyone down there lives in the same neighborhoods, attend the same schools, etc..the only places I can really honestly think of thats truly segregated here, would be SW ATL, parts of the Westside of ATL, South Dekalb, Old Nat'l area of College Park for black, and Forsyth County for white, and thats literally about it..I think just about everywhere ekse is pretty mixed, some areas may have more of a particular group than others, but enough to where everyone would be fairly comfortable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta