Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM

52 posts, read 104,323 times

Advertisements

Hey all, thanks for all help in advance. I am a young MD who has recently become single and I am
Looking to move into Atlanta. I am wanting to either rent an upscale luxury apt vs rent a home/condo.
I want to live somewhere that I can partake in all the fun Atlanta has to offer (festivals, hiking, concerts, etc). I want to look back on my life one day and be able to say I had a whole, fulfilling fun life and I think I can find this in ATL. My budget is as high as 2k$/mo and I would like to be within walking distance (safe area a must) to restaurants, bars, etc.
I have heard good things about Virginia highlands, midtown and Decatur square. Also heard that Brookhaven is nice. Buckhead seems like it is too stuffy/ritzy for me and it seems like the cost of living may be higher here.
Any specific apartments/condos in above areas and if I am missing any area you feel I skipped over please enlighten me. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
77 12th Apartments in Midtown

/end thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 PM

52 posts, read 104,323 times
Default Thanks, 1 more thing

I forgot to mention that I am looking for other singles in a high concentration so would like to be near area with young professional women. Thx

Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM

You will find plenty of women in that area

Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
If you want a more laid-back, walkable neighborhood, you would love Virginia-Highland. You should have no problem finding a place in your price range there. The only draw back is that the apartments tend to be small and old. Depending on what part you'd choose, you can walk to the bars and restaurants from your place. There are a few newer apartments there. I can give you the names of them when I remember them lol. I used to live in Virginia-Highland and I currently live in Buckhead. Though I like living in Buckhead, I prefer Virginia-Highland. Lot's more places to walk/run/ride a bike. Though renting a home in Virginia-Highland may be out of that price range. I know when I lived there, houses were renting for up to $4,000 and two-bedroom apartments between $1,100 and $1,500.

If you want something more luxury then Midtown or Buckhead would be your best best. Midtown (depending on which end you choose) is close to Virginia-Highland and you can access both Va-Hi and Buckhead from Midtown.

Buckhead isn't as stuffy as you'd think in terms of nigh life. Since living in Buckhead, whenever I've gone out, I've met lots of cool, very laid-back people. I actually find the people in Buckhead more engaging than the people in Va-Hi. Though I enjoyed living in the Va-Hi neighborhood and the convenience of living there, I found the people to be more stuffy. I get approached more by all kinds of people in Buckhead than I ever did living in Va-Hi (and I lived there longer than I've lived here), so don't completely discount it.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM

^^^I agree with the poster above. Midtown + Virginia-Highland/Inman Park area would be the best fit for you

Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdoc View Post
I forgot to mention that I am looking for other singles in a high concentration so would like to be near area with young professional women. Thx
Lots of single women hang out in Buckhead and Virginia-Highland. You'd have no problem meeting women there or really in any part of Atlanta. Lots of single, professional women here.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
If I were you, I'd see if I could find anyone who lives in Luxe renting out a condo. It's the highest quality of the new construction units for uner $1 million to buy and it's right on Piedmont Park, so easy access to the heart of the city.

You can also try other luxury midtown condos like Aqua and some of the smaller ones near Juniper.

I think you're wrong to write off Buckhead. When I lived in Buckhead, seeing people come and go in their scrubs was a common occurence, so you'd be sure to find other medical professionals. There is also an active professional nightlife scene. Drinking at the bar at St. Regis, Mansion, and Ritz Carlton isn't as stuffy as you might think, and you stand a pretty decent chance of meeting someone who can actually carry on a halfway intelligent conversation with you.

As was mentioned, VaHi is pretty good, but it's hard to find luxury digs there and there's a lot of sorting through college girls and assorted people without "real" jobs there. Certainly you can do worse in other parts of the city, but if you're a doctor looking for a relationship, it's not the first place I'd look. If you're just looking for quick bang bang bang and no relationship, it's one of many places you can look.

I'd keep it in midtown or Buckhead if I were you.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
One word anser: Midtown. Honorable mention to Decatur Square.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
One word anser: Midtown. Honorable mention to Decatur Square.
Downtown Decatur has a couple of nice condo buildings on Ponce de Leon and Commer Dr., along with some great restaurants and some bars but since that part of Decatur is more family-oriented I don't know how much of a singles scene it has thought singles do hang out there. Decatur Square is very nice but it sounds like the OP may want a more busy urban area with lots of luxury rental options and access to lots of singles.

Dectaur is still a suburb and I personally wouldn't recommend a suburb to a single person. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta