U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM

222 posts, read 600,940 times

Advertisements

Tired of paying Earthlink $57.00 a month for internet alone.

I'm looking for a "bundle",to makethings simple, and hopefully overall--cheaper!

I checked with Comcast and AT&T so far. Comcast was more expensive. AT&T claims to have a rate of $79 per month, for two years.

Any experiences, thoughts, or opinions welcomed!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Google Fiber......

...needs to come to Atlanta.

I have had bad experiences with both AT&T and Comcast. I currently have Comcast but am considering switching to AT&T. My experiences has been Comcast's service itself is a little better but AT&Ts customer service is a little better. Really I just want more options / competition. This oligopoly is terrible for consumers.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:34 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
Ive been using Clear for few years now $40/month for home Wireless 4G for my internet, been happy with them.

Just about all the bundles/packages give you a 'lower' rate for some period of time, then lock you in for 2/3 year and the price goes up big time after the 'low' period is over.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Landline phone is dead, don't waste your money.
I also use clear, $35/month for unlimited 4G wireless internet.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
I guess it depends on where you are located. Here in North Fulton, Comcast had the fastest internet speeds, so that's who we went with. It's bundled with our cable. I've heard some complaints from others about their service, but since we haven't had any problems with our connections, we haven't had many occasions to request help. A couple of times the cables were cut by lawn workers, but those were replaced quickly, and for free.

We have AT&T for the home phone (can't give it up yet, as my mother can't hear well if I call on my cell), and also cell phones. Again, good signal, no complaints.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM

36 posts, read 88,159 times
I switched from Comcast to AT&T about six months ago and couldn't be happier. AT&T is much cheaper and the channel selection for cable has a lot more variety.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,025 times
I have AT&T U-verse and am happy with the actual service. I like that I can record 4 things at once (yes, I watch too much tv); my internet is great; and I wasn't locked into any contract. BUT, I have had awful experiences with their customer service. Before that I had Charter (which I think is part of Comcast??). My internet went out constantly, and it was more expensive.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Keep in mind that in these bundles, even though some of the services call it a "land line", it is not a land line you're getting - you're getting a VOIP service (similar to Vonage or Vonage itself, renamed) where your phone service goes through your Internet connection along with your TV and Internet service.

Advantages: Bundle pricing typically will save you *some* compared to having separate services. It's easier to just pay one bill each month than worry about three. One number to call if you have issues with any of the three services.

Disadvantages: When there is a severe weather event, natural disaster, or other emergencies that effects large areas around you, cell service usually goes out very quickly because it gets overloaded or the power goes out and many cell towers have limited battery or generator support. VOIP services usually go out not long after because you may well lose power in such an event, and if your modem isn't working, poof, your phone goes out, too.

When Sandy hit the Northeast not long ago, many people in NYC found themselves with no cell service and no power and/or Internet and Internet phone services. Guess what still worked? Bingo - the land lines, and the few pay phones left that are on those land lines. Afterward, the Mayor of NYC has ordered that up to 1100 more landline based payphone be re-installed in the city. In my own area after an ice storm a couple of years ago, I was the only person on my street with a working phone... a land line. Everyone else had switched to cell-only. My house was like a large phone booth as they all came over to contact relatives.

The moral and suggestion - Get the best deal you can on an Internet and TV bundle only (no phone included). Then have a bare bones basic land line installed in your house with no extra features on it, for stability. Then, get the Straight Talk home phone which uses Verizion cell towers for $15 a month and use that as your day-to-day phone. You're still going to save money compared to having all of the services separately, but you'll still have the stability of a land line when needed. I'm using AT&T Uverse for Internet and TV and it works very well for that, but as someone has said, their customer service does have a lot to be desired (but who DOES have good customer service in this category, really?).

Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 AM

329 posts, read 507,097 times
What upload / download speeds are you guys getting with Clear?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 AM

9,904 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Those of you with Clear, are you able to stream videos without problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or