Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,891,849 times

Advertisements

What are are your thoughts ? This guys is receiving all kinda negative remarks from public for not choosing a IVY league school
The Root: Controversy Over 16-Year-Old FAMU Student Ralph Jones Who Chose an HBCU Over Harvard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM

630 posts, read 1,088,006 times
His choice...I'll bet most of those complainers couldn't get into any of those Ivy League schools themselves.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 AM

23,354 posts, read 43,822,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
What are are your thoughts ? This guys is receiving all kinda negative remarks from public for not choosing a IVY league school
The Root: Controversy Over 16-Year-Old FAMU Student Ralph Jones Who Chose an HBCU Over Harvard
Sounds like his decision was reasoned, thoughtful and goal-driven. Everyone else needs to mind their own business. I have a feeling this young man will excel wherever life leads him.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,565,749 times
Quote:
Who's criticizing him? I know plenty of people who turned down Ivy League schools for any number of reasons.

The fact that he chose a HBCU seems even more irrelevant.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,123,447 times
This is simply a case of a student choosing another school over an Ivy. HBCU has nothing to do with it. In an ongoing thread, it has been revealed that kids at Westminster and Pace are going to UGA, Univ of Alabama and a whole host of huge state schools. I am sure that at least some of them got accepted at an Ivy - but look - they are going to state schools. Just like this young man. FAMU is a state school also. I really don't see why it is a big deal. Nobody is writing articles about all the kids whose parents have spent 200K plus for private K-12 and then the kids go to UGA like all the kids from the public school dpwn the street.

Then there was a thread about all the kids in the south who possibly could go to an Ivy who don't even apply bc they want to stay in the south and go to a southern school. Go figure. If that is not news then this young man's decision is not either.

Double standard seems like to me.

Quote:

Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,924,357 times
The article is two and a half years old.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 AM

630 posts, read 1,088,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The article is two and a half years old.
LOL...Sure is! Wonder what's he's doing now.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,342,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
This is simply a case of a student choosing another school over an Ivy. HBCU has nothing to do with it. In an ongoing thread, it has been revealed that kids at Westminster and Pace are going to UGA, Univ of Alabama and a whole host of huge state schools. I am sure that at least some of them got accepted at an Ivy - but look - they are going to state schools. Just like this young man. FAMU is a state school also. I really don't see why it is a big deal. Nobody is writing articles about all the kids whose parents have spent 200K plus for private K-12 and then the kids go to UGA like all the kids from the public school dpwn the street.

Then there was a thread about all the kids in the south who possibly could go to an Ivy who don't even apply bc they want to stay in the south and go to a southern school. Go figure. If that is not news then this young man's decision is not either.

Double standard seems like to me.
I'd venture most of those Westminster/Pace kids didn't get into Harvard et al. Harvard has an acceptance rate of ~6% and all the Ivy schools are under 30% these days. Their yield is at 77% which is pretty high for a very expensive private school (Emory is 28%, NYU 36%...UGA 49%). Even in a top performing private HS the majority of students aren't getting in. Another big factor is if your family has 4 generations of UGA grads, you'll probably have a better network in the South than going off to Cambridge, Mass for 4 yrs. If you're an upper middle class kid w/ an offer from Harvard and some scholarship money, the only thing keeping you at UGA is if your parents sit on the board of the Bulldog Club.

This kid was looking at engineering and outside Cornell, there's minimal engineering options in the Ivies. MIT, Stanford are the best in virtually all engineering fields but they suffer the same issue that Cornell does meaning they're far from home and perhaps less inviting for someone looking for a strong black cultural feel. If I'm not mistaken, most of those schools have sub 10% black enrollment.

On another note, Mr. Jones will likely do just fine wherever he goes. If he can make a reasoned approach to his choices at his age, he can probably sell his story just fine to recruiters on the other end. For most kids that have far less critical reasoning skills at his age, getting the Harvard stamp on the resume is an automatic boost for post-college career options. His biggest challenge will be getting in front of the same set of recruiters that go to Harvard over FAMU.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,342,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
LOL...Sure is! Wonder what's he's doing now.
From his LinkedIn:
Quote:
I am a driven, budding, young professional with a penchant for technology - particularly software/programming, a love of Apple products, and an appreciation for the incorporation of industrial design principles.

Currently, I have taken a sabbatical to focus on my theological convictions. I plan to resume my undergraduate career as a full time student in the Fall Semester of 2013.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,565,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Another big factor is if your family has 4 generations of UGA grads, you'll probably have a better network in the South than going off to Cambridge, Mass for 4 yrs. If you're an upper middle class kid w/ an offer from Harvard and some scholarship money, the only thing keeping you at UGA is if your parents sit on the board of the Bulldog Club.
I hear what you're saying but people have all sorts of reasons for turning down Harvard, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: