U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-02-2011, 08:10 AM

461 posts, read 493,081 times
Default 2011 CRCT results out

School districts learn CRCT results *| ajc.com

Buford City, Decatur City, Cherokee, Forsyth and Fayette counties best in show. Overall scores a slight improvement for GA this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-09-2011, 01:44 PM

38 posts, read 80,249 times
RainyRainyDay, i'm just reading your posting from 04-04-2008 now. i'm from where you're from also. i agree about the gifted child comment. besides, the way they test for being gifted, i don't really think one can prep for it. i never pushed either and i hardly did anything to get her to read. my child learned to read by herself. it was effortless for me. i thought i was an amazing parent but then my second one came and i realized it wasn't my parenting skills it was my first child's natural ability. as for the gifted testing, she came home one day and told me that she had to take this really long test and that the school psychologist also tested her on some other things, analogies i think. i had no idea what she was talking about and a couple of weeks later a letter came saying she was 'gifted' and that i need to consent for her to be in the gifted program. apparently, they watch the children in early elementary and then test in late elementary. i had no idea.

anyways, i'm reading this post because i'm moving to atl (as posted in another thread). we're thinking about these 2 middle school to high school paths -

1. dickerson-walton hs OR
2. mabry - lassiter hs

A. what do you all think (environment, is there redistricting, disciplinary problems, is there one that you favour over another and why?)

B. need specific subdivisions (upto $400K) that feed into these paths.

we're going to be in atl in august to do house hunting and really need to narrow our search. we don't have a lot of time, only 3 days so we need to be focused in our search.

thanx so much!

Unread 07-09-2011, 02:36 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,681,526 times
Your children will be fine at either. Keep in mind that. for many people, the best experiences at Walton are had only by the tippy top students. Have you honed in on a private swim club yet? If so, you may want to consider calling the coaches there and asking about the school swim teams...

Unread 07-09-2011, 04:52 PM

8,447 posts, read 10,601,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegirl_19 View Post
RainyRainyDay, i'm just reading your posting from 04-04-2008 now. i'm from where you're from also. i agree about the gifted child comment. besides, the way they test for being gifted, i don't really think one can prep for it. i never pushed either and i hardly did anything to get her to read. my child learned to read by herself. it was effortless for me. i thought i was an amazing parent but then my second one came and i realized it wasn't my parenting skills it was my first child's natural ability. as for the gifted testing, she came home one day and told me that she had to take this really long test and that the school psychologist also tested her on some other things, analogies i think. i had no idea what she was talking about and a couple of weeks later a letter came saying she was 'gifted' and that i need to consent for her to be in the gifted program. apparently, they watch the children in early elementary and then test in late elementary. i had no idea.

anyways, i'm reading this post because i'm moving to atl (as posted in another thread). we're thinking about these 2 middle school to high school paths -

1. Dickerson MS--Walton HS -or-
2. Mabry MS--Lassiter HS

A. what do you all think (environment, is there redistricting, disciplinary problems, is there one that you favour over another and why?)

B. need specific subdivisions (upto $400K) that feed into these paths.

we're going to be in atl in august to do house hunting and really need to narrow our search. we don't have a lot of time, only 3 days so we need to be focused in our search.

thanx so much!

If you are interested in Dickerson MS--Walton HS and Mabry MS--Lassiter HS, you should also consider the following paths:

3. Simpson MS--Lassiter HS
4. Hightower Trail MS--Pope HS
5. Dodgen MS--Walton HS
6. Dodgen MS--Pope HS

All six paths will offer you the same thing. Keep in mind though, Walton HS and Dickerson MS are known for being very intense. So path #1 may be different than the others. Path #5 will also be intense since it has Walton HS, but a little less so than #1 since path #5 contains Dodgen MS.

Unread 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM

38 posts, read 80,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Your children will be fine at either. Keep in mind that. for many people, the best experiences at Walton are had only by the tippy top students. Have you honed in on a private swim club yet? If so, you may want to consider calling the coaches there and asking about the school swim teams...
Thanx lastminutemom. As for swim team, yes it looks like we might just do Swim Atlanta. They seem competitive and I think they have a pool / team that is somewhat close by to East Cobb/Marietta, is that right, anyone? Proxmity to swim team/pool is somewhat important because the pool is basically our second home. Swim Atlanta seem to also have great records, good coaches and very competitive swimmers. I'm not sure but they might have produced an Olympian too! LOL!

I know this sounds silly but I threw Lassiter into the equation not only because of their academics but also because of their great swim team which is very important to my child. Also, Lassiter seems to have more practical AP courses. I was surprised that Walton didn't offer some of the same AP courses that Lassiter, Pope or Northview offers.

Honestly, I don't pay much heed to all the high school rankings based on AP courses offered like those published by Newsweek or the other publication which I can't remember right now.

I'm real sad though that we have to move especially for the kids. I hate moving, it's so stressful. I hate having to leave all the friends that we've made, the community that we've grown accustomed to.

Thanx everyone. I love this forum for everyone's advice and perspective.

Unread 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,857,421 times
Hi, sparklegirl_19, good luck on your home search. We've been happy with Lassiter. Since you're interested in competitive swimming too, I'll also throw out that my daughter goes to Lassiter with the offspring of the owners of this swim club: Gold Swim

My kid has never done competitive swimming so I can't offer more inside information, but as fellow parents they seem like good people.

Unread 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM

15 posts, read 8,993 times
Smile Good daycares

Hi, does anyone know of any good daycares in duluth or suwanee?? It's for my 2year old.

Unread 08-31-2011, 03:10 PM

8,447 posts, read 10,601,513 times
No Child Left Behind: A conspiracy against public education that too few called out | Get Schooled

Unread 09-04-2011, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 902 times
Default School Ratings

Great thread...

Unread 09-06-2011, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Hi!

We're moving from a liberal university town. Schools are very important to us. Our elementary school age children had previously attended an IB school, so we would prefer them to be in a school with a similar pedagogy, ie one that is more project based learning as opposed to drills and teaching towards mastery of NCLB required exams.

As for neighborhoods, we are looking for those with easy access to Marta for the commute downtown for work, access to organic foods/weekly farmer's markets, walkable is a plus but not a requirement.

Based on what we've read in the forums, we think that the Decatur City Schools, Mary Lin/Inman/Grady, and Fernbank seem promising. We plan to visit these schools as we look at homes in the neighborhoods that feed into these schools.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta