Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 AM

8 posts, read 13,919 times

Advertisements

It seems that a lot of the advice sites or posts are outdated. I'm looking for some "live" feedback on excellent in-town public school districts.

Can anyone recommend excellent districts that have great schools from elementary through high school AND are in-town? I can then go do my research once I know what my options are. Looking for homes less than $400k.

So far, the Lakeside High school district looks promising, but I'm not sure which elementary schools in that district are good.

How about the Chamblee High district feeding from Montgomery elementary?

Any other options I should consider?

Thankful for everyone's time. I just can't seem to focus my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 8,471 times
Bigad,

In town buckhead, Morris Brandon & Jackson. They feed to Sutton Middle School and then to North Atlanta High School. The high school will be moving to a brand new facility in a few years. Constructions starts soon. Then the old high school will become the middle school. This district is doing very well as population has increaed due to many families in buckhead not sending their kids to private school due to budget restraints. Historically 1/3 of the elementary school children moved to private school in 6th grade. Now it is down to about to 1/8. This has substantialy improved the quality of student moving through the system. Problem here is finding a house in your price range.

Moving north a bit you can get into Sandy Springs and look at Heards Ferry Elementary. Great elementary, middle and high school. The middle school is now a charter school and the high school is Riverwood and is very well respected. you should be able to find plenty of houses in your price range.

good luck

Kevin

Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjlegend View Post
Bigad,

In town buckhead, Morris Brandon & Jackson. They feed to Sutton Middle School and then to North Atlanta High School. The high school will be moving to a brand new facility in a few years. Constructions starts soon. Then the old high school will become the middle school. This district is doing very well as population has increaed due to many families in buckhead not sending their kids to private school due to budget restraints. Historically 1/3 of the elementary school children moved to private school in 6th grade. Now it is down to about to 1/8. This has substantialy improved the quality of student moving through the system. Problem here is finding a house in your price range.

Moving north a bit you can get into Sandy Springs and look at Heards Ferry Elementary. Great elementary, middle and high school. The middle school is now a charter school and the high school is Riverwood and is very well respected. you should be able to find plenty of houses in your price range.

good luck

Kevin
Thanks, Kevin. I'll look into that bit of news re North Atlanta High. I had heard great things about the two elementary schools. Sandy Springs would just be too far/inconvenient for us, but I'll recheck.

Any thoughts on the schools mentioned in my post? I'm not so sure about Chamblee Middle School, Sagamore Hill Elementary, Hawthorne Elementary, etc. No problem if you're not familiar with those.

Thanks.

Last edited by thebigad; 10-10-2011 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: More info.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,471 times
BidAd

I have no knowlede on those schools. sorry.

If you want to rent for a year their are some good options in my area at the moment.

Kevin

Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM

461 posts, read 1,068,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigad View Post
It seems that a lot of the advice sites or posts are outdated. I'm looking for some "live" feedback on excellent in-town public school districts.

Can anyone recommend excellent districts that have great schools from elementary through high school AND are in-town? I can then go do my research once I know what my options are. Looking for homes less than $400k.

So far, the Lakeside High school district looks promising, but I'm not sure which elementary schools in that district are good.

How about the Chamblee High district feeding from Montgomery elementary?

Any other options I should consider?

Thankful for everyone's time. I just can't seem to focus my search.
Decatur City Schools:
K-3
Oakhurst Elementary
Winnona Park Elementary
Glennwood Elementary
Clairemont Elementary
These four elementary schools all feed to 5th Ave Elementary for 4th and 5th grade, Renfroe Middle School and then on to Decatur High. It is a very small IB Public Charter System. We love it here. Good luck with your search.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Default River-weed?

Thanks, Lauren. That area might be both too expensive and too far away for us. But we love the area!

Does anyone know about Riverwood's reputation as River-weed? Apparently, it has a drug problem worse than most schools.

The Great Schools comments are not in keeping with its 10/10 for test scores.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
I know many Riverwood families -- they are all satisfied. I wouldn't worried about the nickname -- most high schools have them.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 6,502 times
Any one have any opinions of Mountain Park Elementary School or Fulton Sunshine Academy in Roswell ?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 8,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigad View Post
Thanks, Lauren. That area might be both too expensive and too far away for us. But we love the area!

Does anyone know about Riverwood's reputation as River-weed? Apparently, it has a drug problem worse than most schools.

The Great Schools comments are not in keeping with its 10/10 for test scores.

If you are not already familiar with it, Schooldigger.net is a better resource than Great Schools. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,549 times
Default School ratings websites up and running now

I have spent many days researching and searching for school ranking and rating data for Cobb County Schools. With all this information on hand I decided to publish a couple of websites to make this information easier to access for everyone.

The first website is focused on all Cobb County Schools at www.CobbCountySchoolReport.com. The focus starts with Georgia SSAS rankings and Governor's Awards then moves on to focus more on high schools with SAT test scores compared to high schools througout Georgia. Then rankings of middle schools and elementary schools are provided based on standardized test scores. The website includes links to the Cobb County School District and reference sites where all the raw data is available. Also included here are links to Cobb County School attendance zones and links to determine exactly what schools a particular address will attend (all Cobb County Related)

The second site I constructed is focused on the East Cobb area which is a very "in demand" location because of the incredibly high ranked schools. That site is www.EastCobbBestSchools.com. This site provides photos and links to the schools in East Cobb, GA as well as the rankings of all Cobb County Public Schools that participate in the state standardized tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta