Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,363 times

Advertisements

I've read a few posts on here regarding ppl relocating to ATL from various places for various reasons. My situation is as such:32 year old, single, black female, and no kids. I currently reside in the NJ/NYC area. I work from home, therefore I can work anywhere. I'm a city girl at heart so I figured ATL would be a great way to get a taste of the south with some what of a big city element. I have lived in DC for 10 + years, Seattle for 2 years, and born n raised in the midwest. So I have a pretty good idea of what its like to live in different areas. While I absolutely LOVE the east coast, I'm ready to transition to a new exciting area preferably. I'd like warmer consistent weather, more bang for my buck, and similar opportunities one would get from east coast living (lounges, restaurants, parks, etc.)

Any suggestions on best areas to live in that would allow me to be visible/interact with other young adult black professionals, great shopping, nice gyms, great churches and not have to be in cricket city aka the sticks. I do have a car, so driving is not an issue. I just want to be accessible to a social life to help balance my work from home life. I'd like to rent first before I consider buying. My rental budget is $1,000 for a 2 bed room, semi luxury or mid grade amenities (not sure if that is reasonable...lol).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Im not talking about Atlanta but life in general. You should move anywhere you want to move. If you do not like it you are free to move back. You only live once

As for your rental price you should check out the Smyrna/Vinings area.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonnrae View Post
I've read a few posts on here regarding ppl relocating to ATL from various places for various reasons. My situation is as such:32 year old, single, black female, and no kids. I currently reside in the NJ/NYC area. I work from home, therefore I can work anywhere. I'm a city girl at heart so I figured ATL would be a great way to get a taste of the south with some what of a big city element. I have lived in DC for 10 + years, Seattle for 2 years, and born n raised in the midwest. So I have a pretty good idea of what its like to live in different areas. While I absolutely LOVE the east coast, I'm ready to transition to a new exciting area preferably. I'd like warmer consistent weather, more bang for my buck, and similar opportunities one would get from east coast living (lounges, restaurants, parks, etc.)

Any suggestions on best areas to live in that would allow me to be visible/interact with other young adult black professionals, great shopping, nice gyms, great churches and not have to be in cricket city aka the sticks. I do have a car, so driving is not an issue. I just want to be accessible to a social life to help balance my work from home life. I'd like to rent first before I consider buying. My rental budget is $1,000 for a 2 bed room, semi luxury or mid grade amenities (not sure if that is reasonable...lol).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I recommend finding a place near mass transit and close to the city of Atlanta (Sandy Springs, city of Decatur and/or Perimeter area).

Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM

163 posts, read 431,174 times
Having moved from north Jersey myself eight months ago, just be reasonable in your expectations. Atlanta's a different kind of city from NYC and DC. Not bad, mind you--I like it here--but it feels less like a city and more like a larger town to me, if those are the cities you're used to.

If you wanted to live in the Midtown area, which is the closest you'd get to feeling like you lived in the city, I don't think $1,000 for a two-bedroom is going to happen. You'd either have to raise your rental budget, look really hard for a smaller place at that price, or go elsewhere. Smyrna/Vinings, which someone else already pointed out, is more suburban. Same with the Perimeter area and Sandy Springs. So, yeah, if you're looking strictly in that budget, definitely get something near MARTA so you can travel at night without having to worry about driving.

Again, I like it here, but you really need to understand the differences before you commit. I recommend coming down for a weekend and exploring. There are upsides to its not being as urban as NYC or DC, but you need to want that, too. Good luck to you!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Having moved from north Jersey myself eight months ago, just be reasonable in your expectations. Atlanta's a different kind of city from NYC and DC. Not bad, mind you--I like it here--but it feels less like a city and more like a larger town to me, if those are the cities you're used to.

If you wanted to live in the Midtown area, which is the closest you'd get to feeling like you lived in the city, I don't think $1,000 for a two-bedroom is going to happen. You'd either have to raise your rental budget, look really hard for a smaller place at that price, or go elsewhere. Smyrna/Vinings, which someone else already pointed out, is more suburban. Same with the Perimeter area and Sandy Springs. So, yeah, if you're looking strictly in that budget, definitely get something near MARTA so you can travel at night without having to worry about driving.

Again, I like it here, but you really need to understand the differences before you commit. I recommend coming down for a weekend and exploring. There are upsides to its not being as urban as NYC or DC, but you need to want that, too. Good luck to you!
I wouldn't personally call either of those areas suburban. No it isn't Midtown, but it isn't Kennesaw or Alpharetta either. Believe it or not, the city of Smyrna is actually more dense than the city of Atlanta(3,200 per square mile vs. 3,188 per square mile).

Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 PM

402 posts, read 703,602 times
Move to English Ave., it's kind of a mix of Mogadishu and the Bronx.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM

163 posts, read 431,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I wouldn't personally call either of those areas suburban. No it isn't Midtown, but it isn't Kennesaw or Alpharetta either. Believe it or not, the city of Smyrna is actually more dense than the city of Atlanta(3,200 per square mile vs. 3,188 per square mile).
I understand what you're saying--no, it's not Alpharetta or Kennesaw--but from my viewpoint, it is still suburban.

Maybe it depends on your perspective, but both areas look very much to me like suburbia found 20 to 30 miles from NYC. (And I grew up in the NYC suburbs, so I'm not saying this with scorn.) To anyone who's used to living in or around NYC, it's going to look like the suburbs.

By this I mean that you need a car to get around, it's a bunch of malls and chain restaurants, etc. I work in the area (Sandy Springs/Smyrna borderish, in the Wildwood office complex) and go to Perimeter fairly often to hit the mall. It's a nice area if that's what you're looking for, but it hardly makes me think of "city," regardless of density of population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta