U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,905,037 times
Reputation: 4076

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
All the people I know who went to not so good high schools overall aren't really doing as well as the ones who went to good ones. There are exceptions but it's enough to not want my kids in bad schools.
Oh brother...could you make a more ridiculous off-topic comment?

 
Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 PM
 
2,082 posts, read 1,798,029 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's plenty of evidence that schools can improve very quickly. Mary Lin is a great case in point.

There's also plenty of evidence that schools can decline very quickly. As well as plenty of evidence that going to a "good school" doesn't have much bearing on individual success.

I did not think that the school in L5P was ever a "bad" school. I am pretty sure that it was pretty decent 20 years ago, and probably before that. 20 years ago it was much more economically diverse area, teachers just starting out could afford a nice home there. Not so much now. I think the change in Oakhurst in Decatur was much quicker and more dramatic.
 
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,687,736 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Successful students will be successful anywhere you put them. The teachers in these "bad" schools are just as good and work just as hard (maybe harder), but they often just have less to work with.
Sure. The top 1% will be fine. We aren't talking about them. However, there is a large portion of the other 99% that can be heavily influenced by environmental factors. I'd rather my kids, if they aren't in that top 1%, be surrounded by good influences who are expected to go to good colleges. That is more the norm at suburban schools than it is at the Atlanta schools.
 
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,687,736 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do we each get to pick the 10?

Although Grady does fine against Walton, a better comparison would be demographically similar Cobb schools such as Pebblebrook or McEachern. Here are the recent SATs:
Are you trying to prove my point for? What you posted does nothing to support what you said previously.

Thank you.
 
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,687,736 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Some in-town schools are better than some suburban schools and vice versa. You can find good schools in town, you can find good schools in the suburbs. Those good schools will have more expensive houses both in town and in the suburbs. End of that discussion. If you want to compare schools go to another thread.

On topic:
Is (Potential) Jobs Influx Indicative of New Intown Luster? - Migratory Employment - Curbed Atlanta
So you get to tell people what is acceptable to discuss and what isn't?

This thread went down this road a long time ago and while it has nothing to do with the original topic, it has evolved into a healthy debate.

Why get all pissy about that?
 
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM
 
6,816 posts, read 6,931,132 times
Reputation: 5486
People need to understand that the quality of the school is more then simply the teachers you get. As Gtcorndog noted, outside factors are probably the most important. If you're around students who simply don't care about their education, chances are you probably won't as much either. On the flip side, if you're around students who try very hard, you're generally going to be motivated to do the same.

Also, interesting that blacks continue to lag behind on SATs by an average of 200-300 points.
 
Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,905,037 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Sure. The top 1% will be fine. We aren't talking about them. However, there is a large portion of the other 99% that can be heavily influenced by environmental factors. I'd rather my kids, if they aren't in that top 1%, be surrounded by good influences who are expected to go to good colleges. That is more the norm at suburban schools than it is at the Atlanta schools.
It seems like, as a parent, you could take the time to heavily influence your child's education and not depend on "environmental factors".

So you're saying that lower performing schools are full of bad influences? That's some pretty heavy judgement.
 
Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,687,736 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It seems like, as a parent, you could take the time to heavily influence your child's education and not depend on "environmental factors".

So you're saying that lower performing schools are full of bad influences? That's some pretty heavy judgement.
Of course the family structure is the number one factor in influencing success.

Did I say that those environmental factors are the only influence?

I have one question for you: Would you rather your child go to Walton where the average SAT score is 1700+ and 95+% go on to attend 4 year colleges or Frederick Douglass High School where the average score is less than 1200?

This is what it boils down to. It is a simple question. It is the job of the parents to raise their children, but I would certainly rather my kids spend 8 hours a day at school with people who have an expectation of success than a group that will statistically be far, far less successful academically and financially in life.

Heavy judgment? When it is backed by stats, it is fact.
 
Old 04-27-2013, 02:33 PM
 
29,296 posts, read 26,233,800 times
Reputation: 10236
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I have one question for you: Would you rather your child go to Walton where the average SAT score is 1700+ and 95+% go on to attend 4 year colleges or Frederick Douglass High School where the average score is less than 1200?
I certainly wouldn't have any problem with my child going to any of the superb elementary schools we discussed. Nor would I have any problem with my high schooler going to Grady or North Atlanta. Assuming you're matching peer groups, SAT scores are easily competitive with Walton and other Cobb schools.
 
Old 04-27-2013, 02:42 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,687,736 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I certainly wouldn't have any problem with my child going to any of the superb elementary schools we discussed. Nor would I have any problem with my high schooler going to Grady or North Atlanta. Assuming you're matching peer groups, SAT scores are easily competitive with Walton and other Cobb schools.
Those two would be a possibility, but lets not pretend that they are as good as the East Cobb and North Fulton schools.

***For the love of God, don't bring up that garbage AJC article which tries to claim intown schools are just as good. That "research(sic)" is downright embarrassing.***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top