U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM

22,151 posts, read 16,152,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My guess is that the vast majority of the incoming employees will not have convenient MARTA rail access so will drive - like most of us around here.
Your in ansley park, convenient to MARTA. Arts Center or Midtown station. Bus route 37 travels along Piedmont north of 14th street.
Quote:
This location would also be very convenient for employees who want to take the train.
Could encourage more employees to more where they have access to MARTA.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM

3,207 posts, read 4,507,427 times
I ride southbound trains to downtown every day. Although it may seem like it doesn't make sense for most people, the trains still manage to get full. There's no sitting down if you get on in Buckhead or Midtown--that's for sure.

And this is at any rate better than their current setup, where presumably ~0% of the workers take the train into work.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM

9,555 posts, read 8,619,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Your in ansley park, convenient to MARTA. Arts Center or Midtown station. Bus route 37 travels along Piedmont north of 14th street.

Could encourage more employees to more where they have access to MARTA.
cq - Not sure if you have, but the 15 minute walk to the MARTA station dressed in a coat and tie in Atlanta weather is generally not something I relish on doing. If it's a weekend, then that's a different calculus.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I ride southbound trains to downtown every day. Although it may seem like it doesn't make sense for most people, the trains still manage to get full. There's no sitting down if you get on in Buckhead or Midtown--that's for sure.

And this is at any rate better than their current setup, where presumably ~0% of the workers take the train into work.
So true about the amount of riders. Northbound trains from Five Points is standing room only until Buckhead, then half the train clears out. Southbound trains in the evening are the same. Even the Blue Line trains are packed. I can never understand were people get the notion that 'nobody rides MARTA' because I see thousands everyday.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM

3,168 posts, read 3,034,020 times
And don't forget the GRTA alternative for those of you who live in outlying areas not near a MARTA station.
Many routes feed either into the Civic Center MARTA station or into Five Points station.
I commute one way daily via GRTA from the Jonesboro Park & Ride lot for example.
By the way, The Civic Center MARTA GRTA stop is only a block & a half from the Suntrust Tower & thus VERY walkable for anyone working in that tower or vicinity.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM

924 posts, read 1,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
This would be so cool for the downtown area.

I used to work in SunTrust Plaza and it is really a convenient location. Some days I would walk over to Centennial Park or run errands during my lunch hour. On my way back I would pick up lunch from the SunTrust Plaza food court or at the food court in Peachtree Center.

This location would also be very convenient for employees who want to take the train.
Except that probably a very small percentage of the employees live somewhere around Marta. These would be jobs moving from an area nowhere near Marta access of any kind where most of the people probably live close to.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Except that probably a very small percentage of the employees live somewhere around Marta. These would be jobs moving from an area nowhere near Marta access of any kind where most of the people probably live close to.
What about those that rent apartments? This move could encourage those that CAN move, to move closer to work. There are thousands of new apartments being built intown, close to MARTA, within the next 2 years.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:22 PM

3,168 posts, read 3,034,020 times
Westau
See my reference to GRTA in the post just ahead of yours.
GRTA serves a huge area as compare to MARTA & has routes that cover the metro area.
Check out their web site for route coverage info to see what I mean & look again at my post here at 4:02 to see my comment about the closeness of GRTA's Civic Center station commuting hub to the Suntrust Tower.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,539,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
There is also the option of driving to a suburban station and riding MARTA...don't forget about that one - many thousands of folks do this daily to their jobs in the city.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM

924 posts, read 1,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What about those that rent apartments? This move could encourage those that CAN move, to move closer to work. There are thousands of new apartments being built intown, close to MARTA, within the next 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Westau
See my reference to GRTA in the post just ahead of yours.
GRTA serves a huge area as compare to MARTA & has routes that cover the metro area.
Check out their web site for route coverage info to see what I mean & look again at my post here at 4:02 to see my comment about the closeness of GRTA's Civic Center station commuting hub to the Suntrust Tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
There is also the option of driving to a suburban station and riding MARTA...don't forget about that one - many thousands of folks do this daily to their jobs in the city.
These are all negative things to people who already live close to an office. The area they are talking about moving from has a good mix of apartments, townhomes, and also reasonable single family homes. No office downtown can provide that. New jobs downtown is a good thing. Moving jobs from a nice suburb to downtown is a good thing for downtown and a bad thing for the majority of those employees.

These are all options to mitigate the negative of having to drive downtown that doesn't exist when an office is in an area that is easy to drive to and live around.

I believe if you polled the people who work outside of the downtown/midtown/buckhead area the majority would see a work move to any of those areas a big negative because they probably already live close to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or