Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,762,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yeah, but there are at least 3 or 4 other high schools ranking 8-10 in Gwinnett with cheap housing nearby.
Let's not forget to add the cost of car ownership, gas, maintenance for having to drive to just about everything. A lot of intown areas offer option other than driving for everyday activities such as grocery shopping and eating out.
Quote:
Hopefully more options are available when I am ready and my kids are school age. It looks like some schools are changing for both better and worste.
If you like intown, keep an eye on the Jackson Cluster. Principals at Jackson, King, and Coan are making big strides. APS set this cluster up for success in the latest re-districting by putting in place game-changing administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,831,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If you like intown, keep an eye on the Jackson Cluster. Principals at Jackson, King, and Coan are making big strides. APS set this cluster up for success in the latest re-districting by putting in place game-changing administration.
I just bought into the Jackson district last year. 4 Bedroom place on ~a 1/3 of an acre < 0.5 a mile to the Beltline and EAV for ~$150K. Don't forget the huge remodel of Jackson too. It will be good once students are back in their new building. Think we will see big improvements once all these things take effect.

Last edited by jsvh; 04-29-2013 at 07:26 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 AM

421 posts, read 747,495 times
Quote:
Let's not forget to add the cost of car ownership, gas, maintenance for having to drive to just about everything. A lot of intown areas offer option other than driving for everyday activities such as grocery shopping and eating out.
I like many people work in burbs. My drive would be much worse if I live in Midtown for example, but I would not mind if the deal is good.
Quote:
Ok,I will since I am not looking to have kids anytime too soon.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 AM

616 posts, read 1,109,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Prices are objective. This what the thread is about, not opinions.
Not to get all "economics professor" here, but price and cost are very different things. Maybe we should be talking about the "price of living" rather than the "cost of living".

Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 AM

183 posts, read 297,151 times
Can't we all just get over this ITP vs. OTP thing. There are great positives and negatives about both. Yes, cost of living is going to be a little higher in the city, but thats everywhere, the closer you get into the core, the more you're going to spend on housing, unless your in the hood. Some people, including myself prefer intown because of the abundance of things to do for young people and we like the uniqueness and liveliness of the city. Some people like suburbs so they can have a larger yard, a bigger home and more neighbors with children. Also, just like I said, I much prefer intown living over suburban living, but honestly, the suburbs aren't really that inconvenient, especially the northern suburbs. I'm in Cobb, and everything I could possibly want or need(except for Fellinis and Urban Outfitters) is all within 5-6 miles of my house. And also, intown living isn't as dangerous, and maybe some of you suburbanites need to get you and your kids out of your little bubble and head down there every once and a while to hang out, you and your families might actually enjoy yourselves and realize Atlanta is a very lively and fun city with a plenty of neat hidden treasures that you may have never even known about staying within your bubble. This is one of the reasons why Atlanta isn't reaching to its fullest potential. We could easily be similar to DC in terms of progressiveness. Both cores have similar demographics and the suburbs are halfway similar, but they work together as a region to get things done and they don't have this city vs suburb type of mentality that we have here.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM

10,737 posts, read 13,307,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
Can't we all just get over this ITP vs. OTP thing. There are great positives and negatives about both. Yes, cost of living is going to be a little higher in the city, but thats everywhere, the closer you get into the core, the more you're going to spend on housing, unless your in the hood. Some people, including myself prefer intown because of the abundance of things to do for young people and we like the uniqueness and liveliness of the city. Some people like suburbs so they can have a larger yard, a bigger home and more neighbors with children. Also, just like I said, I much prefer intown living over suburban living, but honestly, the suburbs aren't really that inconvenient, especially the northern suburbs. I'm in Cobb, and everything I could possibly want or need(except for Fellinis and Urban Outfitters) is all within 5-6 miles of my house. And also, intown living isn't as dangerous, and maybe some of you suburbanites need to get you and your kids out of your little bubble and head down there every once and a while to hang out, you and your families might actually enjoy yourselves and realize Atlanta is a very lively and fun city with a plenty of neat hidden treasures that you may have never even known about staying within your bubble. This is one of the reasons why Atlanta isn't reaching to its fullest potential. We could easily be similar to DC in terms of progressiveness. Both cores have similar demographics and the suburbs are halfway similar, but they work together as a region to get things done and they don't have this city vs suburb type of mentality that we have here.
smb - I agree that we need to stop the OTP v. ITP thing. But your saying that suburbanites need got out of their "little bubble" is not going to help stop it. Just sayin'. We should also encourage intown folks to venture out to the burbs sometimes.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM

Seriously guys, no one said ANYTHING about ITP or OTP being better. This is about prices for similar neighborhoods and school districts.

It sounds like some of you are trolling.

Last edited by Freeminds; 04-29-2013 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
Don't troll this thread please. No one is arguing over which is better. This is about prices.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,819,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Seriously guys, no one said ANYTHING about ITP or OTP being better. This is about prices for similar neighborhoods and school districts.

I sounds like some of you are trolling.
So you want to spend similar money, for similar public services and quality of life, but in an area with higher density and closer proximity to the city center? They don't exist. I can't tell if you are actually interested in finding an area to live in, or challenging everyone to find something as sooper-dooper as Gwinnett County.

Seems like everyone thinks, if they just look hard enough, they can find that one little gem of an area, with excellent schools, low taxes, 4 bedroom homes with basements and garages for $200k, with great walkable amenities, no crime, and a 15 minute drive to the city center. Those areas DO exist, they are just . . . in Boise.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,831,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
So you want to spend similar money, for similar public services and quality of life, but in an area with higher density and closer proximity to the city center? They don't exist.
I fervently disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta