Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM

12 posts, read 19,679 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I moved to Atlanta from Los Angeles almost a year and a half ago. We've been renting in town, near La Vista/Briarcliff Rd since we got here and love our neighborhood, but the houses are too small for our growing family. So we now know we are happy in Atlanta and are looking to buy. We have two large very energetic dogs and a 2 year old son with plans to have another child soon. I'd like to buy a 4 bedroom house with at least a half-acre yard as we frequently have out of town guests and I want a dedicated guest bedroom.

I work in Buckhead near Lenox Mall and I'm considering moving to East Cobb! Schools are very important to us and I know the best schools are out there. Now the question is - am I going to go insane because of the commute? In LA I was commuting 45 minutes each way for a 13 mile commute. It wasn't bad, but the older my kids get it might be hard to make it home in time for their activities?

My husband is a stay at home dad/freelancer, so he doesn't have to worry about location.

Another wrench to throw in this is that we will not buy a house that has an HOA. My husband is sort of anti-authoritarian, and doesn't do well with things like you have to paint your door a certain color and you can't build a skate ramp in your backyard...

So - what are your thoughts? East Cobb doable? Another better suggestion? Here is our standard info:

1. Budget up to $400k, but ideally closer to $350k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House with 4 bedrooms/half an acre-ish
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute to Buckhead
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public School
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two We are okay with suburban or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Semi-important, I'd love to be able to have easy enough access to pick people up at a Marta station instead of having to drive down to the airport to pick them up, but this isn't as important as good schools/big lot
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Young Families - lots of kids out and about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I'd consider the Murphy Candler area. Awesome homes and yards and very close to Buckhead.

1552 W Nancy Creek Dr NE, Atlanta, GA 30319 - Zillow

Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoCityGirl View Post
Hi All,

My husband and I moved to Atlanta from Los Angeles almost a year and a half ago. We've been renting in town, near La Vista/Briarcliff Rd since we got here and love our neighborhood, but the houses are too small for our growing family. So we now know we are happy in Atlanta and are looking to buy. We have two large very energetic dogs and a 2 year old son with plans to have another child soon. I'd like to buy a 4 bedroom house with at least a half-acre yard as we frequently have out of town guests and I want a dedicated guest bedroom.

I work in Buckhead near Lenox Mall and I'm considering moving to East Cobb! Schools are very important to us and I know the best schools are out there. Now the question is - am I going to go insane because of the commute? In LA I was commuting 45 minutes each way for a 13 mile commute. It wasn't bad, but the older my kids get it might be hard to make it home in time for their activities?

My husband is a stay at home dad/freelancer, so he doesn't have to worry about location.

Another wrench to throw in this is that we will not buy a house that has an HOA. My husband is sort of anti-authoritarian, and doesn't do well with things like you have to paint your door a certain color and you can't build a skate ramp in your backyard...

So - what are your thoughts? East Cobb doable? Another better suggestion? Here is our standard info:

1. Budget up to $400k, but ideally closer to $350k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House with 4 bedrooms/half an acre-ish
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute to Buckhead
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public School
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two We are okay with suburban or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Semi-important, I'd love to be able to have easy enough access to pick people up at a Marta station instead of having to drive down to the airport to pick them up, but this isn't as important as good schools/big lot
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Young Families - lots of kids out and about
Lot's of people do it, but it ain't gonna be fun. With your criteria I think I would choose to be in Roswell instead. It's a much easier commute since you can just get on 400 and go all the way to Buckhead and it's close to MARTA. Also, the schools in Roswell are top notch. As far as finding a neighborhood or house without an HOA, that's gonna be tough. Most neighborhoods have one, so it's going to be a slow road finding that. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd consider the Murphy Candler area. Awesome homes and yards and very close to Buckhead.

1552 W Nancy Creek Dr NE, Atlanta, GA 30319 - Zillow
As arjay stated, it's a great area with nice homes. But once your kid gets outside of elementary school, the schools are crap. Montgomery Elem is great, but Chamblee Middle and High ain't so hot.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,689 times
Not sure East Cobb is what you're looking for. Why not stay right there in the Lakeside High district?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I live in Duluth and work downtown.

When I made the decision to buy in Duluth, I never thought I would work regular hours. During off peak times, the commute was fine, but I just started commuting during peak times.

So far it hasn't been as bad as I had feared. I use an app called Waze on my phone that monitors traffic in real-time through other Waze users (it measures how fast they are moving) and it steers me around problem areas and takes me on the least congested route. So far it's been working well.

It's no walk in the park and if I could afford to sell my house and move closer into town, I might. But I can't, and especially since I'm not sure how long this schedule is going to last, I'm just grinning and bearing it. I thought it would be much worse than it actually is.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
No.

http://www.xpressga.com/pages/intera...system_map.php

Take the Express bus into downtown and then hop on Marta into Buckhead

Old 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
As arjay stated, it's a great area with nice homes. But once your kid gets outside of elementary school, the schools are crap. Montgomery Elem is great, but Chamblee Middle and High ain't so hot.
I was thinking Chamblee High was now one of the best around. Schooldigger ranks it number 20 in the state, and its SATS are right up there with other top schools.

Last edited by arjay57; 04-30-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 01:04 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I was thinking Chamblee High was now one of the best around. Schooldigger ranks it number 20 in the state, and its SATS are right up there with other top schools.
If you get in a certain program it is good, but if you don't (most kids) its not so great. Families in the Montgomery Elementary district usually opt for private after elementary - similar to the nearby Dunwoody area.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
You're not crazy. Lots of us do it. Heck, I go from Covington to Johns creek. 55 miles by freeway, 45 by back roads.

I mastered the back roads too. Takes me an hour in the mornings via freeway and an hour and 15 on the way home on back roads.

I will eventually move a little closer but I dont like city life, HOA's, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta