Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Dug a little into this person who stirred up this petition. Seems he has a axe to grind. He is a sales manager for Apple in Atlanta. Graduated from AIU which is known more for their online college than anything else.(I guess that they also have storefront locations.)

Anyway, southern folks have a different history about "the war between the states" than yankees have. The Constitution for The United States allows for states to remove themselves from the agreement. Sadly Lincoln didn't respect it, and we know what happened next. General Lee was a southern gentleman. He never treated captures the way that Grant did. Some also say that he error-ed because he wasn't as ruthless as the northern troops.

All that said, I think that the petition is ridiculous. But in our PC society, he will probably get his way. There aren't to many southerners left in Atlanta anyway.
Im Black and I'm Southern.Quite proud of it for different reason as some white Southerners.Particularly those who think there is pride in fighting a war that for whatever reasons was the cause,even though today there is no doubt that it was treason.How can you have pride in two diffident nations that have fought?Its starts;"I pledge of aleigence to THE flag" not " to both of the flags"

I see it as history"Lest we forget then we are doomed to repeat".If we got rid of every vestige of things that are offensive,we will never be able to see just how far we have progressed.
Throughout history certain symbols,actions or art become just that:HISTORY at some point.

An example is the Braves "Tomahowk" Chop.There is really no way to act like this would not be offensive to a Native American.Yet we do it not because we are not racist but the significance of it has now been separated from what was perceived as a real association long ago, to a totally new association.
How may people do you really think Natve Americans go around scalping people today?
I also see it as a monument to what man can do when they have passion for what they enjoy. Remember the artist was not even American.He was paid to do a job.
As an African American I hate that some people can use this to glorify a lost cause ,but for me ,every time I go there I feel like Im showing them up by being there in the presence of all that negative vibe some people feed off of.Just not gonna give it my energy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Personally I would say let it stay. I know there are offensive things about the Civil War but we can't pretend history didn't happen.
As a black kid who went to Jefferson Davis Middle School, Nathan B. Forrest High School, my sister went to Robert E Lee High School, I say who cares....leave it be. I aint tripping. I got bigger fish to fry.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Waste of time,money and energy.
Andrew Jackson was the most racist President of the U.S> and yet his face his on the $20 bill.What should be do about that?
maybe all us black people should set our 20 bills on fire?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
They were no better than terrorist in my opinion, but it would cost a lot of money to remove that carving so I don't see this happening.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 AM

225 posts, read 369,082 times
We should remove George Washington statues too. Oh, Thomas Jefferson as well. He was a slave owner, had sex with slaves, and denied slave rights. So he is offensive too.

It is not a big deal to me or anybody else I know. You still see people enjoying the park, black and white, with the carvings in the background. I think that kills the meaning of the carvings. So I'm happy the generals are turning in their graves now,

Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,345 times
Exclamation STOP the partition to ERASE Georgia History!

"Change the Mountain", aka McCartney Forde , aspiring actor trying to get his 15 minutes of fame, is trying to deface Georgia's most famous landmark, Stone Mountain...DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!! Click and Sign this petition below to stop him!!

[url]https://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-partition-to-erase-georgia-history-don-t-let-this-person-mccartney-forde-try-to-deface-georgia-s-stone-mountain-please-sign-here-share[/url]

Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
^ Well...it's more about defacing the carving. The Stone Mountain has already been defaced.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
maybe all us black people should set our 20 bills on fire?
No!!! Just give 'em all to us white folks!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:44 AM

29 posts, read 42,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
As a black kid who went to Jefferson Davis Middle School, Nathan B. Forrest High School, my sister went to Robert E Lee High School, I say who cares....leave it be. I aint tripping. I got bigger fish to fry.
This here.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
No!!! Just give 'em all to us white folks!!!
10-4
Social Media may not be kind to this McCartney guy...

on Stone Mountain Petition Stokes Controversy; Georgia Man Wants Confederate Monument Remade
it reads this

McCartney Forde, who started the Change.org petition, wants to remodel the monument on the north face of Stone Mountain because he thinks it "perpetuates the perception of Georgia as an icon of racism, slavery and oppression."

ok Stone Mountain is in Metro Atlanta...right? Metro Atlanta is racist to black people?? If anything I think its more racist to white folks than anything. This dude man...its like he kicking the ants nest barefooted. Let it be man...Ima lurk and see how this all plays out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta