Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:26 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
That was a year ago.
I know, but that's not long at all in real estate years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM

163 posts, read 431,433 times
I know this is off-topic, but someone above mentioned "one is Northwest and the other Northeast," and I have to know, as it's been driving me nuts and I can't find the answer: how are streets labeled NE or SE or whatever? I live in Inman Park on a NE-labelled street, and I work up near the perimeter (with an Atlanta address) on a SE street. Relative to what? It's north of the city, but the street is SE? How is that?

Sorry. It's driving me crazy.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
I know this is off-topic, but someone above mentioned "one is Northwest and the other Northeast," and I have to know, as it's been driving me nuts and I can't find the answer: how are streets labeled NE or SE or whatever? I live in Inman Park on a NE-labelled street, and I work up near the perimeter (with an Atlanta address) on a SE street. Relative to what? It's north of the city, but the street is SE? How is that?

Sorry. It's driving me crazy.
usually the streets are divided in half, with one end of the street being 'NE' or 'NW' and the other end of the street being 'SE' or 'SW'. it's the same as other cities do with "east jones street" and "west jones street" or whatever.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
netsirk
Bryantm3 explained most of the directional logic behind addresses in the city itself but I can't figure out why something way out at the Perimterer area would have an "se" in the address. Perhaps you could tell us the actual address & that might give a clue as to why it's "se" way up there.
By the way, if you have an Atlanta map that is of the old gas statin variety, you can usually spot the demarcation lines in the city that sepaate the 4 directional quadrants. Unfortunately a lot of newer maps do not contain the line which used to involve a slight shading of color to aid in the visual notation of the 4 zones..

Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 PM

163 posts, read 431,433 times
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I have to say that even the "NE" on my own street, gives me pause. It's Montag Circle NE. Go ahead and Google it.

Yeah. It's northeast of nothing. I can get by with it by saying, weeeeeeelll, it's slightly north and east of downtown, DONE!

I work on Windy Ridge Parkway, 30339. My business card does not have a SE in it. But when you pump it into Google Maps, why, hells yes, it does. This is only one example--I've seen it with other roads.

If I'm north, east, south, west of city proper, that makes sense. But if I'm in the suburbs, what's the reference point? South of what? East of what? You get my idea.

I have put far too much thought into this, and, ridiculously, asked this question of people I work with--several Atlanta natives (yes, they exist) among them. No clue. I suspect I'm about to be asked to step away from my computer.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
no no no

neither of you get it. the direction on the end of the road is in relation to the direction *the road* is going in at the beginning of the road.

for example, Windy Ridge Parkway SE starts at Windy Hill Road, and goes Southeast. it's because you turn southeast to get on the road at the beginning of the road.

peachtree street NE starts at five points and goes northeast, therefore it's peachtree street northeast. peachtree street SW starts at five points and goes southwest, therefore it's peachtree street southwest. it has nothing to do with the quadrant of the city you're in or where you are located to downtown— it's the way the street is going.

also, we don't have a perfect grid system. sometimes the grid turns 45 degrees left and no one really knows why. so sometimes if you see a direction at the end of the sign that is wrong (for example if it says NE instead of NW), it means the street grid is rotated in the part of town you're in. so all the directions are in relation to the degree of the tilt— so east-west streets run southeast to northeast, and any street going off of those streets will be in relation to the tilt, so a street labelled 'NE' could either be going southeast or northwest.

oh and also there aren't any streets named after the cardinal directions unless they're running parallel to the street they're named after. so if you see a street that runs straight west, it will either be 'SE' or 'SW', but never 'West'. a street labelled 'West' will always be a north-south street and a street labelled 'North' will always be an east-west street.

and every street in fairlie-poplar is labelled NW no matter which direction it goes in.

it's perfectly simple, i don't know why out of towners don't get it.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 AM

27 posts, read 38,189 times
Bryantm3 really? If a two-way road is going NE then it's also going SW. The rule you cite would mean that in midtown, on Peactree, one half of the street would be NE and the other would be SE. If that's true, I haven't noticed. Your rule would also mean that in Midtown, one-way streets headed south (like Spring) would be labeled Southwest. But that's not the case.

The rule of thumb I've used, which has usually worked for me, is that there is a quadrant system based on roughly on the Interstates. I-20 divides north and south. Then I-85 or I-75 divide east west. Netsirk's example leads me to rethink this, though in the city itself, it has proven helpful to me, despite exceptions.

Last edited by junimar; 05-03-2013 at 06:12 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM

27 posts, read 38,189 times
I'm looking at a map and I see exceptions to my rule of thumb that seem to track Bryan's observation about the direction of the street. But there is also strong evidence of a quadrant. Every street in SW Atlanta is Labeled SW. There are no streets in Buckhead labeled Southeast or Southwest.

Overall though, I'm more confused than ever.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM

280 posts, read 389,767 times
The Quadrant system is correct, but only inside the city limits. The SE or SW in the North Metro Area are outside the City of Atlanta, but still have an Atlanta address (Post Office). Windy Hill is in Cobb, and the Perimeter Offices are either Sandy Springs or Dunwoody.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
kferq
What you said is absolutely correct.
Bryant would be corect except that the example he cited of Windy Hill Rd. is in Cobb County & that particular area of Cobb works off of a different central grid point that originates in the center of Marietta, hence the addresses up there with ne, nw, se, & sw but which have nothing to do with the city of Atlanta or it's central grid point.
So, my question of how there can be an address up by the perimeter area with a se address stipulation on it, must mean that there is a different central grid point used up there other than the one in the center of Atlqanta, even though that area has an Atlanta zip code. Remember, it's nowhere near the city limits of Atlanta so there must certainly be a different grid centrla grid point up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta