U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,871 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Atlanta in a few months and are interested in finding a nice neighborhood. We are also expecting our first child in the spring. We are looking for a detached home that is around 30 minutes from his job (located at the Sandy Spring exit off of 400). We love city living, the diverse restaurants and bars that they offer within walking distance, and are active in social sports. We have lived in Chicago (Wrigleyville) and are moving from Baltimore (Canton) and have loved those areas. Also because we will have an infant we need some place family friendly, that has parks and a parent association with playgroups and such. No worries about schools, we will cross the bridge in a few years. We like character and are looking to spend around 500k. I was thinking maybe Morningside but our budget seems stretched there. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM

4,371 posts, read 6,046,687 times
Since, you are coming from Canton...I would recommended Lake Claire, Canlder park or inman park. You won't be too far from VA HI and L5P which are similar to Fells Point, Canton and other places by the Harbor.

500k intown here won't get as you as much as it would in Baltimore because the homes are worth a tad bite more....Most of the single houses cost as much as the townhomes in Fells Point and higher....

Good Luck....

Old 10-31-2007, 04:43 PM

13,613 posts, read 22,067,201 times
Recommended neighborhoods:

Kirkwood
Oakhurst
Cabbagetown
East Atlanta
Ormewood Park
Midtown
Home Park

Good Luck. You will definitely find what you are looking for in Atlanta! I know y'all will "cross the bridge later", but many (if not most!) of the intown neighborhoods offer excellent public schools as well (including all of the neighborhoods written above)! It's a new era in the ATL. Welcome South, Brother (WSB)!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 PM

36 posts, read 231,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Recommended neighborhoods:

Kirkwood
Oakhurst
Cabbagetown
East Atlanta
Ormewood Park
Midtown
Home Park
I second these places. However, I do not agree with Home Park because there is a large college student population around there and it can get quite rowdy over there at night.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,819,798 times
Don't give up on Morningside if it appeals to you. You might be able to manage a small house that's not fully renovated if you're willing to do that. It's a wonderful neighborhood and a great investment. Remember the real estate maxim, buy the worst house in the best neighborhood and improve it to maximize your investment potential. There are lots of deals to be had at the moment so it's worth having your agent set you up with an internet gateway for your target neighborhood(s) to alert you in case something comes on the market that suits your needs and fits your budget.

The further you move out from Midtown, the further you move away from the major cultural and sports venues. If lifestyle is important to you, it might be worth it to you to take a house that could use some polishing.

Other neighborhoods with a Morningside-like character include: Candler Park (possibly the best bungalows in the city) and Lake Claire (less well-known neighborhood between Candler Park and Decatur). These are only a few miles east of Midtown.

The City of Decatur is delightful as well. It has a very Mayberry-ish quality with concerts on the square, great shops and restaurants, lots of neighborhood parks.

Of course you might want to look at Sandy Springs and points north. You'll get more house for your money outside the perimeter, and possibly an easier commute, but you'll be further away from the intown lifestyle. I don't work in those parts of town so I don't have any relevant advice for you about them, but I'm sure other posters will chime in.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:16 AM

13,613 posts, read 22,067,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.zhou57 View Post
I second these places. However, I do not agree with Home Park because there is a large college student population around there and it can get quite rowdy over there at night.
That is the Home Park of the past. Because many people still think of Home Park this way, the bargains one can find of in this neighborhood are unbelievable! And you can't beat the location. Plus, powerhouse schools...Centennial Place Elementary, Inman Middle, and Grady High.

*Student problems are less of concern for Home Park now, because of the amount of Tech students that now live on campus. Plus, Tech just acquired the Georgia State Dorms on North Avenue...housing an additional 2,000 students!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
Thanks for all the help...Im thinking of maybe upping the price and looking in Morningside/VA HI as well as the suggestions of Lake Claire and Candler park. We have rehabbed two homes in Baltimore and want to take a break from rehabbing and move into a finished house. We were looking on the conservative side because we wanted to also buy a condo at Tybee Island...but we may just have to put that off to get into a place we like. Thanks again for the help!!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 21,045 times
Personally, I would suggest the Roswell Rd area, just bc if he works in Sandy Springs, theres no way that I would sit through that commute, I think theres enough traffic in Sandy Springs as it is. Anyway, since you like the city, Buckhead is just down the road on Roswell. You wont have to leave in a rush, the schools are good, there are endless shopping and dining options and theres always something going on. I live one town over in Dunwoody and I love going over there!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:05 PM

15 posts, read 33,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.zhou57 View Post
I used to live in Home Park while attending GT. Its pretty quiet at night, although the population is quite transient (all college students).

Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 PM

15 posts, read 33,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpinbmore View Post
Thanks for all the help...Im thinking of maybe upping the price and looking in Morningside/VA HI as well as the suggestions of Lake Claire and Candler park. We have rehabbed two homes in Baltimore and want to take a break from rehabbing and move into a finished house. We were looking on the conservative side because we wanted to also buy a condo at Tybee Island...but we may just have to put that off to get into a place we like. Thanks again for the help!!
You are probably better off renting something on Tybee (the rentals there are cheap, I used to live in Savannah).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or