Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM

704 posts, read 1,786,364 times

Advertisements

Since 2011, the Braves have ranked 15th in attendance. In 2010, they were 13th.

2010 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,028,760 times
The Braves enjoy a lot of support and in my opinion have a huge fan base. If it wasn't for a bad TV deal their payroll would be up there with the top, as it is they are still competitive and not at the bottom with payroll.

As said, there fan base is huge in Atlanta and throughout the region.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,811,909 times
It appears most of them are well over 6' and 200 lbs! That's pretty big!

40-Man Roster | braves.com: Team

Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,817,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Since 2011, the Braves have ranked 15th in attendance. In 2010, they were 13th.

2010 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN
Was your question about attendance, or popularity? They are vastly different things.

A majority of fans in parts of "Braves Country" like Alabama, the Carolina's, and Tennessee are not at the ballpark on a regular basis. As of 2012 the Braves were 8th in facebook page "likes".

I get the impression you are just hoping to find some data that supports your preconceived notion based on a single incident that the fan base is "apathetic" at best.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,953,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Ted Turner and TBS also helped build a fan base by broadcasting braves games across the country.
This is why the Braves are constantly ranked one of the top 3-4 most popular teams. So much so that there almost seem to be as many Braves fans at away games as home games.

Honestly, there's a core of die-hard fans in Atlanta, but clearly not like other cities (NY, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis, SF, LA). Many fans use the excuse that it "takes too long" to get to Turner Field when it's in the most fair spot in the metro area. They also say there's nothing to do around Turner Field, but that's a lame excuse also.

To me an overwhelming majority of Braves fans live outside of Atlanta, as did I for some time, leading to very low attendance numbers (Usually around 15th-16th in the majors). It becomes even more obvious when attendance suddenly explodes for weekend games where all the regional fans are able to travel in from hours away.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,987,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Was your question about attendance, or popularity? They are vastly different things.

A majority of fans in parts of "Braves Country" like Alabama, the Carolina's, and Tennessee are not at the ballpark on a regular basis. As of 2012 the Braves were 8th in facebook page "likes".

I get the impression you are just hoping to find some data that supports your preconceived notion based on a single incident that the fan base is "apathetic" at best.
Yep...we see this all the time in Atlanta threads. Someone asks a negative question about Atlanta and then argues every time someone refutes it or posts proof of opposition. It's crazy.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,752,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
...Family I have in the northeast suburbs of Atlanta say that people love the 'Dawgs, but don't care much about the Falcons. ...
Thanks for your thoughts.
College football, specifically SEC footbal is HUGE in the South. So by comparison sakes Dawgs may get more love than Falcons but that would be true for most professional football teams in the South.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post

No, I really don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just trying to understand what the Braves' fan base is really like. My personal experience, though somewhat limited, as well as attendance figures, don't show Atlanta to be much of a baseball city. It's natural for a Braves' fan to refute that and claim, to the contrary, that the Braves are big. That might mean that the Braves are big for you. But I'm honestly just looking for a comparison with other cities out there. I don't get the impression that professional sports are big in Atlanta, so to say that the Braves are big might be true for Atlanta, yet nothing like other MLB cities.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yep...we see this all the time in Atlanta threads. Someone asks a negative question about Atlanta and then argues every time someone refutes it or posts proof of opposition. It's crazy.
It's not negative to say that folks in Atlanta are big college football fans, and not so big baseball fans. That doesn't reflect poorly on the city or its people. It's just an observation and a question.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,668,025 times
I think that if you look at the game attendance data during the course of the full season, you will note more of an "explosion" in attendance from that of a week day night game to a week end game while school is in session.
Once school is out of session, the difference between week day & week end game attendance blurs somewhat & that is the case in ball parks around the country & not a peculiar to Atlanta only thing.
As for baseball attendance here in Atlanta & across the spectrum of the other major league cities, it often seems to run cyclically in nature for a number of reasons, some of which are: a poor record of on field performance; a great record of on field performance; a new/cool ball park; a roster that includes marquee players; frustration with the ownership, etc..
As for example, before their new ballpark opened several years ago, the SF Giants generally drew rather pedestrian numbers of fans to old Candlestick Park & could only count on filling a lot of seats for a game when the hated rival Dodgers showed up.
Through much of the 1990's the 1992 world series champion Toronto Blue Jays enjoyed tremendous support in their stands & led the leagues in attendance that often ran near their capacity even on week nights; a capacity that was well over 50,000 then. By comparison, attendance & enthusiam for the Blue Jays has waned significantly in the interim.
Additionally, once the "Jake" opened in Cleveland & the Indians brought a great product onto the playing field, things were super hot attendance-wise in Cleveland. Now they rank far below the Braves in attendance and are actually laggards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta