Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 AM

37,812 posts, read 41,589,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
"The white percentage increased from 31% in 2000, to 35% in 2006, to 38% in 2010, more than double the increase between 1990 and 2000. During the same time, the city's black population decreased by 31,678 people, shrinking from 61.4% of the city's population in 2000 to 54.0% in 2010.*" -from Wikipedia. Atlanta is booming but blacks are leaving by the thousands. The Atlanta suburbs are gaining more black citizens though. In a few years the city of Atlanta will have a white majority and probably a white mayor as a result. I'm not promoting that, but I think it is inevitable. Anyone who saw our last election should agree. Norwood was an idiot and almost got elected.
Quote:
Atlanta is losing blacks and gaining whites faster than any other city in America.
Atlanta is no different than most other major, and even some smaller, cities across the country with significantly-sized Black populations, in that many Blacks are leaving the central city for the suburbs.

http://washingtoninformer.com/index....es-for-suburbs

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...cks22_ST_N.htm

And there are other cities that are losing Blacks and gaining Whites faster than Atlanta. DC comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:33 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,239,340 times
The info I quoted was from 2000-2006 but not much has changed. The fact that Atlanta was the center of the civil rights movement and is known as the Black Mecca makes the situation here stand out in my opinion. I think it's very sad that so many are being pushed out by gentrification.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,461,330 times
Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
"The white percentage increased from 31% in 2000, to 35% in 2006, to 38% in 2010, more than double the increase between 1990 and 2000. During the same time, the city's black population decreased by 31,678 people, shrinking from 61.4% of the city's population in 2000 to 54.0% in 2010.*" -from Wikipedia. Atlanta is booming but blacks are leaving by the thousands. The Atlanta suburbs are gaining more black citizens though. In a few years the city of Atlanta will have a white majority and probably a white mayor as a result. I'm not promoting that, but I think it is inevitable. Anyone who saw our last election should agree. Norwood was an idiot and almost got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
At the MSA level, it's actually not inconceivable that Atlanta is the city with the largest black population in the country by 2040.

In this census cycle, Atlanta's black population grew by 500,000 to 1.7 million, while New York's declined by 100,000 to 3.2 million. Those trends could put Atlanta ahead of NYC in three decades--or at most four decades.

We just passed Chicago this last census cycle to become the #2 metro in terms of black population. Given how quickly the black population is growing in this country, it's actually pretty surprising how some big metros are seeing their black populations decline (NYC, LA, Chicago).
Okay, let me ask this, for the sake of me being lazy and not having to research this info out on my own, the two posts seem to contradict each other, do they?

Or is the contradiction only in a matter of statistical math applied to metro Atlanta vs the City of Atlanta "proper"?

And gentrification of city propers, with the pushing of low-income black and Latinos toward either the edges of the cities or the suburbs I'm a bit iffy with. For one thing, I know when I hear "metro Milwaukee" hear in Milwaukee it irks me. Because what I hear when that "metro" thing is brought up is, "We're screwing you dark people in the city."

That's all aside from expanding urban sprawl which I'm sure wild life is not too fond of. So, are upper-middle-class white people retaking the City of Atlanta through gentrification and pushing low-income blacks off into the suburbs. The real urban infrastructure as a world class city, or global city, is in the City of Atlanta right, and not its rich or working class suburbs?

Or is the City of Atalanta and not "metro Atlanta" going to have the most black people in the country like testa50 stated?

Old 05-12-2013, 01:16 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,734,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
This post didn't sound racist at all for the record.

Lets reverse the races in the post. The ensuing outrage would have this thread locked in no time.

"In a few years the city of Atlanta will have a black majority and probably a black mayor as a result...not that I'm promoting that, but it is inevitable."

Post/thoughts like these are what keep everyone in the past.
Im black,I did not find it racist.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,194,948 times
I think the question implies that black Americans are a monolithic group with the same likes, interests, religious beliefs and desire the same lifestyle. I think Atlanta is good for blacks who like what Atlanta is and perceives what it has to offer in terms of their lifestyles, career, etc.

Any major city can be good or bad for blacks depending on skill or education level and the opportunities that are available. Whether or not some cities are better for blacks than others is relative and personal. I don't think one particular city is good for all black people who'd want to or are considering living there.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 05-12-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,407,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im black,I did not find it racist.
Well, you'd be in the minority then ....no pun intended.

So, the fact that I said, I can't get behind any black mayor, but much to my dismay it is inevitable, does not touch a nerve at all? That is pretty much what he said.

I'm done, I will not reply. This is the dumbest conversation going on this discussion board.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,948,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Okay, let me ask this, for the sake of me being lazy and not having to research this info out on my own, the two posts seem to contradict each other, do they?

Or is the contradiction only in a matter of statistical math applied to metro Atlanta vs the City of Atlanta "proper"?

And gentrification of city propers, with the pushing of low-income black and Latinos toward either the edges of the cities or the suburbs I'm a bit iffy with. For one thing, I know when I hear "metro Milwaukee" hear in Milwaukee it irks me. Because what I hear when that "metro" thing is brought up is, "We're screwing you dark people in the city."

That's all aside from expanding urban sprawl which I'm sure wild life is not too fond of. So, are upper-middle-class white people retaking the City of Atlanta through gentrification and pushing low-income blacks off into the suburbs. The real urban infrastructure as a world class city, or global city, is in the City of Atlanta right, and not its rich or working class suburbs?

Or is the City of Atalanta and not "metro Atlanta" going to have the most black people in the country like testa50 stated?
US2010

My post was entirely commenting on demographic trends at the MSA level, as shown in the link above. I wasn't expressing any particular viewpoint in gentrification or the city of Atlanta's recent decline in black population.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:10 PM

31 posts, read 51,613 times
Regardless of percentage growth of whites, its still a great city for blacks, because majority of blacks WORKING in the city dont actually live in town. Even in atlanta city goverment, 80% of employees at city hall live outside Atlanta and are mostly black. 90% of service jobs even as far north as buckhead are held by blacks, most of which commute to the city

Old 05-12-2013, 03:12 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,407,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffblond33 View Post
Regardless of percentage growth of whites, its still a great city for blacks, because majority of blacks WORKING in the city dont actually live in town. Even in atlanta city goverment, 80% of employees at city hall live outside Atlanta and are mostly black.
This is interesting. Can you point to your reference as it pertains to "80% of employees at city hall live outside of Atlanta".

Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,239,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Well, you'd be in the minority then ....no pun intended.

So, the fact that I said, I can't get behind any black mayor, but much to my dismay it is inevitable, does not touch a nerve at all? That is pretty much what he said.

I'm done, I will not reply. This is the dumbest conversation going on this discussion board.
That isn't what I said at all. I spoke of how others vote, not myself. I stated that over and over but you just don't understand do you? I can't find terms simple enough for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta