U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,626 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Chicago to the metro Atlanta area. I am getting married and my fiance lives in Atlanta. I am a highschool teacher. I have been looking and researching teaching jobs and the educational climate in the metro Atlanta area. I am from Chicago and we a have a strong teacher's union. I know that GA is a 'right to work state'. However, I would like to know a few things about teaching in the metro Atlanta/GA:
1) What is the teacher/work climate for teachers in GA?
2) Do teachers in GA have any type of job protection since there isn't a teacher's union? Is there due process and etc?
3) Do teachers get tenure? I have read some conflicting things about this?
4) What are some of the best/worst areas for teachers to teach at in GA?
I am a little apprehensive coming from Chicago to Georgia where to start and what to know.
Any other information would help! Thanks!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,062,137 times
My answers are in red. However, generally speaking, the hiring climate for teachers isn't great right now unless you are in a high needs area -- math, science or special ed. The second largest system in GA looks to be laying off teachers this year so the market may even be tougher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_chic View Post
I will be moving from Chicago to the metro Atlanta area. I am getting married and my fiance lives in Atlanta. I am a highschool teacher. I have been looking and researching teaching jobs and the educational climate in the metro Atlanta area. I am from Chicago and we a have a strong teacher's union. I know that GA is a 'right to work state'. However, I would like to know a few things about teaching in the metro Atlanta/GA:
The state hasn't given teachers a raise in at least 6 years. Common Core is coming with very little support in many places. And the new teacher evaluation system goes into effect in the next year or so. Lots if testing

2) Do teachers in GA have any type of job protection since there isn't a teacher's union? Is there due process and etc?

After a year or two, teacher have due process rights. But you need to understand that very few teachers seem to be dismissed here. The culture of the schools seems to be either move the bad ones to another school or limp along with them. This may change with the new eval system though.

Sort of. But this will change. I wouldn't count on it.

GA is a big state. Exactly where does your fiance live? Metro Atlanta? somewhere else?

I am a little apprehensive coming from Chicago to Georgia where to start and what to know.
Again, we need to know where your fiance lives or does he just have to stay in the state. The advice you receive for the metro area will be very different than say the advice for metro Atlanta.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 AM

1,797 posts, read 1,850,359 times
If you would consider teaching at a private school, there is a placement agency called Southern Teachers Southern Teachers Agency | Private School Jobs in VA, MD, DC, GA, NC, SC, FL, KY, TN, LA, AL and TX | Independent School Jobs that is excellent.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
fzx

378 posts, read 387,324 times
From a place with an average salary of 70K+ with three years of guaranteed raises to Atlanta, where there have been no raises and limited job oppotunities and an average salary of what? (40-50k), are you crazy?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 AM

5,231 posts, read 4,282,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_chic View Post
I would start here.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM

When I say Metro Atlanta I am referring to Decatur, GA.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Sorry, he lives in Decatur, GA

Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks for your response. Can you give some new insight into this new "evaluation process"? Thanks!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,062,137 times
Teacher Keys Effectiveness System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or