Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM

259 posts, read 394,069 times

Advertisements

Removed - do not discuss mod actions in the room. See the terms of service, please.

__________________________________________________ ___
Link to story:

Violinist Johnny Arco arrested while playing music at MARTA - CBS Atlanta 46

Basically, as I was saying in the previous thread, here if Atlanta wants to play with the big boys city wise and be world class it needs to encourage a culture of street performers that you see in other big cities.

Atlanta should have stuff like this

Going on at five points and little five points in the street.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-20-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Holy crap...3:43. Now there's a band that isn't afraid to commit.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
removed

Violinist Johnny Arco arrested while playing music at MARTA - CBS Atlanta 46

Basically, as I was saying in the previous thread, here if Atlanta wants to play with the big boys city wise and be world class it needs to encourage a culture of street performers that you see in other big cities.

Atlanta should have stuff like this

Going on at five points and little five points in the street.
This would get way outta hand in Atlanta. Everyone in Atlanta is a rapper, R&B singer, or in a band.
There was one time, on a southbound Red Line train that a homeless man sang a song. He had a great voice and everyone cheered for him, he collected his money and jumped off at Lindbergh Center Station.
If street performing was allowed on MARTA, then it would look even more ghetto to all suburbanites.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-20-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This would get way outta hand in Atlanta. Everyone in Atlanta is a rapper, R&B singer, or in a band.
There was one time, on a southbound Red Line train that a homeless man sang a song. He had a great voice and everyone cheered for him, he collected his money and jumped off at Lindbergh Center Station.
If street performing was allowed on MARTA, then it would look even more ghetto to all suburbanites.
And people don't move to NYC or LA to be musicians?

"It would look ghetto to " is a terrible excuse to not allow this, and anyone who feels street performers are "ghetto" is someone if care about the opinion of anyway.

We are not trying to appeal to uncultured folks.

Atlanta wants to play with the big boys.

Last edited by Strangejelly; 05-20-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I remember in the '90s when it seemed like every young black guy thought he was in a vocal harmony group, like Bel Biv Devoe or Tony Toni Tone. Every day I would walk from Five Points to GSU and there would be at least two groups of young guys harmonizing, sometimes several different groups. Some of them were actually very good. I don't recall any of them asking for money, or even taking tips.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
I've seen lots of street performers around downtown and Midtown...I'm assuming it was MARTA that had him arrested, not the city of Atlanta. It doesn't seem like Atlanta has anything against street performers in my experience. They are fairly common, so does that mean Atlanta does "play with the big boys"?

I imagine transit stations in other cities have similar laws, although they may not always be enforced.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
"It would look ghetto to " is a terrible excuse to not allow this, and anyone who feels street performers are "ghetto" is someone if care about the opinion of anyway.
Personally I have no problem with street performers. I liked the ones in NYC, in the stations and on the trains, but this is not NYC. I used the term 'ghetto' because I feel that's how a lot of people from the suburbs that are not used to urban life would view it. I mean they already think that when they see a train full of hardworking, working class, professional, and students on the train commuting.
Quote:
've seen lots of street performers around downtown and Midtown...I'm assuming it was MARTA that had him arrested, not the city of Atlanta.
I rider filed a complaint and MARTA PD responded like they should. He was asked several times to leave under his own will. When he refused he was arrested.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:01 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
What is the difference between these "street performers" and the idiots that have the huge speakers in their cars cranked up and playing their (usually RAP) music at full volume?

If/when I win the big Powerball jackpot I will buy a van with the three sliding doors. I will install a large generator and the biggest baddest sound system possible. I will cruise the streets just waiting for some punk to pull up beside me with his loud music going. I will then play my TOP HITS OF SLIM WHITMAN at about 160 decibels. That should blow his ear drums and windows out. Note I will make sure no innocent bystanders are close enough to suffer hearing loss.

GL2

Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
What is the difference between these "street performers" and the idiots that have the huge speakers in their cars cranked up and playing their (usually RAP) music at full volume?

It's time to leave Nebraska. Big world out there.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

One difference is that the street performers are actually creating something and sharing it. There's value in that. Also, they usually stay in one place, so you can easily get away from them if you don't enjoy their music.

The cars blasting window rattling bass music move around, so you will eventually get stuck with one right next to you for several blocks at a time. That happened to me the other day on Marietta Street. All the way from Grady to Cone street. I was subjected to that garbage for eight or nine blocks during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: