Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:15 AM

14,172 posts, read 22,621,524 times

Advertisements

Yes, Cumming is low-class. The median household income is $697, and there's more strip clubs and liquor stores per capita there than any other suburb in the United States. People will bust a cap in yo' ass for your shoes. Life is rough on the skreets of Cumming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,832,121 times
cumming is still regarded as being hillbilly country. the KKK did a big rally there in 1987 that ended up with a counter-rally attended by oprah and several prominent civil rights leaders. however, over the past 10 years especially, cumming has really become more of a bastion for the nouveau-riche in their quest to live in large mansions at the lowest possible price.

there are nicer areas of forsyth county and bad areas of forsyth county. i lived in an area for several years where we had a few meth house busts, regular police calls to the neighbours, and my dad got shot at a couple of times. it's "the hood" for white people. most of the newer subdivisions are not like this— just avoid southwest forsyth county.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,969,424 times
I guess the clerks in Alpharetta were sick of everyone from Milton looking down on them, so they passed it along to you. Please don't let it bother you! You obviously studied the areas and bought a house you liked. I live in the city of Atlanta, and have no positive or negative ideas about Cumming GA--HOWEVER if someone says Alpharetta, I think "American Girl Doll Store" and that's enough to give me nightmares.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,684,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Here's my opinion, just take it with a grain of salt. I really don't like Forsyth county that much. There's a lot of natural beauty and I'm sure a lot of nice people, but there's a few things that bother me about it.

1) No real sense of community. The county is basically just a collection of subdivisions linked together by two lane roads. To me there's no real cohesion. People seem unattached from their community. It's just a place to live.

2) Traffic is horrible. The county is still trying to catch up with its massive growth and that creates a lot of congestion on the roadways. The infrastructure just hasn't caught up with its current size.

3) it's one of the most Republican counties in the state. Some people might see this as a plus, but I think even a loyal Republican would find the cultish devotion to the GOP here a bit disturbing. It's the epitome of the "I got mine and screw everyone else" brand of conservatism that I just can't stand and it seems like any other political viewpoints get shut out.

4) Zoning is weird. Old and new are just mishmashed together and to me it creates a bizarre aesthetic.
Because the solid Democrat voting areas are so accepting? Maybe we should compare schools? S. DeKalb schools are just wonderful...

Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,684,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When I hear Cumming, my first impression is up and coming, nouveau riche.
LovinDecatur always has the best posts.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,798,537 times
I rue the day when guys spitting their tobacco juice in a water bottle and thick southern drawls are no longer part of the fabric of Georgia. Those of you wanting to homogenize a great state and take every bit of color (literary use of the word, not racial so back off) out of the mosaic, wall yourself up ITP and leave the rest of this wonderful state alone.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
When did that change?
Hard to believe, isn't it?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,985,831 times
Quote:
I rue the day when guys spitting their tobacco juice in a water bottle and thick southern drawls are no longer part of the fabric of Georgia.
I don't have a problem with southern drawls, but spitting tobacco juice in a clear bottle is absolutely disgusting.

I mean, why do we vilify smokers so much, but there are no rules regarding where nasty tobacco juice can be spit out? Personally, I'd rather accidentally walk into a puff of smoke than step in somebody's used tobacco juice.

Sorry, I'm not trying to derail this topic, but I just find dip revolting. I mean, I don't care if people want to do it, it's fine with me, but seeing the spit juice literally turns my stomach. I don't think anybody should be allowed to dip indoors, but since you can, at least have the decency to spit into a container that isn't clear so the rest of the world doesn't have to view your spit cocktail.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM

454 posts, read 818,174 times
Cumming is still considered low class. Its where new money middle class moves to to buy the cheapest bling house they can afford mixed with old school rednecks. It is also known as an area with a very insular Tea Party outlook. Alpharetta is a little better due to the high cost barrier of entry and so on as you head south. Basically the further north you go up the 400 from Buckhead generally the lower class the area becomes.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 PM

41 posts, read 79,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombied View Post
Where in Cumming are you? There is a world of difference between Cumming off exit 17 and Cumming off exit 12.

I live in Cumming right now and I'm trying to sell the place to move into the city.
We will be living on the South side, off of Campground road and Post Road. We are 2 miles from Rt. 9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta