Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Afterall, the buildings and land are already there. Bought and paid for by the taxpayer, years ago. They no longer make economic sense for the military but, I can imagine a few thousand homeless that would just love to have a roof over their head tonight, food in their stomachs tomorrow morning and the hope that with a little help, they can get back on their feet again?

Thoughts?
It sure makes sense to me. Anything's gotta beat living out on the pavement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterjohn View Post
We can host the Olympics again.
Yes, please!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,346 times
Quote:
How about....

We take a base scheduled for closing, convert it to house, feed, and shelter the homeless.

Why? Well, bases were designed to house, feed and shelter large amounts of people, cheaply. Having lived on one for 4 years I can promise you, you can't do it cheaper (less all the motor transports, airplanes, etc).
This is a solid plan! You should submit it to the City and whoever else can help make it happen.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
This is a solid plan! You should submit it to the City and whoever else can help make it happen.
I wouldn't know where to start. It just seems....obvious? Why not reuse what we have already paid for. Sure, there would some refurb/modification costs but again, what are we spending today with them all spread out? Couple that with the stigma some of them endure. I believe quite a few would love to get back on their feet.

This would give them a chance while aggregating our current spend in a more efficient manner. Most bases have quite an infrastructure already in place. Sorting the folks out while enlisting the corporate donors and brain trusts would be daunting....but possible.

Make this a college intern program. Cut loose the young and brightest enterprising minds on REALLY doing something worthwhile. Utilize the considerable, existing medical, financial, administrative and managerial minds to guide this. Add a few project managers and give it a whirl.

If I had to throw a dart at it? 5-8 million to start and then et the tenants self fund through that work program with mild subsidies and charity going forward? Great place for some to gain new skills. Let them work through on temporary basis to a full time position. Most would "graduate" out within a year with 1/2 of their pay in their pockets to help get them started.

Sure, some will fail but, despite those setbacks, I would argue that even the failures would be cheaper to the taxpayer? Currently we are spending billions on housing, medical, food, transportation subsidies. In efficient. Florida even has recruiters to help those mooch federal programs in order to bring 1 billion in aid to Florida. It's insane. Get SOMETHING back for our money or, at the very least, make it go further???

Those bases were designed to do what I am talking about very cheaply. If it was good enough for us vets, it's good enough for them?

We have bases, near a metro, that are either closed or should be considered fr reclassification fir a program like this. We don't need to fund hundreds of shelters when a few bases will do. Easier to track, assist and support. Logistically, easier to administer.

A thought...

Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
How about....

We take a base scheduled for closing, convert it to house, feed, and shelter the homeless.

Excellent ideas! I really like it. I know a lot of people will be against spending money on homeless, but it's not like the homeless can spend it for themselves. Something to help them back into the world, learning skills and whatnot, is a great start.

And hey, to make it worth spending the money on them, use them for general work around town. I know for sure that near my area, along Marietta Blvd and Atlanta Rd. could use a lot of general cleanup and a lawn mower or two.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Excellent ideas! I really like it. I know a lot of people will be against spending money on homeless, but it's not like the homeless can spend it for themselves. Something to help them back into the world, learning skills and whatnot, is a great start.

And hey, to make it worth spending the money on them, use them for general work around town. I know for sure that near my area, along Marietta Blvd and Atlanta Rd. could use a lot of general cleanup and a lawn mower or two.

They could also be temp'd out to temporary labor agencies for the deals they can't secure themselves. I'm sure there are a myriad of companies that could use their labor, at $8-$10/hour? Use 1/2 to subsidize the base, the other is put away in a guarded account for them until they "graduate" out less some nominal spending money.

It's just leveraging what we already have. Turns out, we have something that is overtly suited for housing, TRAINING, and decency for the homeless that qualify. I have to believe the majority need/want a break. For the others??? Well, we have to figure that one out. Some will never qualify. They never did. Can't save them all but, we can sure reduce the ones that are capable?

I like the base as a way to restore dignity. No one needs to be on the street for all to see and ridicule. A base is a secure, somewhat private area where everyone would be "equal". Hard to believe it would take an abandoned base to do it. No matter, it works...at least on paper.

We would have to rely a great deal on corporate guidance and charity both for management and perhaps job training and assistance. Believe it or not, there are some very qualified individuals who are homeless right now. Veterans, factory workers, etc...

This gives them a chance to rebound at a lesser expense to the taxpayer. Everyone wins.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 PM

268 posts, read 344,561 times
stop hyping up the atl so poor unskilled folks wil stop moving there lol. a lot of folks should have never came there ther really no blue collar work unless you have a trade.the unskilled wages does not match rents so very easy to become homeless there

Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
stop hyping up the atl so poor unskilled folks wil stop moving there lol. a lot of folks should have never came there ther really no blue collar work unless you have a trade.the unskilled wages does not match rents so very easy to become homeless there
Want to try typing that again?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 PM

93 posts, read 110,101 times
Round up all of the homeless people. Transport them via train to a walled off "fort." Put them to work.

Hmmm...

Yeah... good idea.

All kidding aside, this is a horrible idea. Why give more homeless people an incentive to move to Atlanta? The city has the chance to do something really special with this big tract of land. Why waste it on helping Hobo Joe when there are already private charities that do this? It is cute you are trying to save the World and your heart might be in the right place, but in the real World, this is an awful plan.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MARTAFan View Post
Round up all of the homeless people. Transport them via train to a walled off "fort." Put them to work.

Hmmm...

Yeah... good idea.

All kidding aside, this is a horrible idea. Why give more homeless people an incentive to move to Atlanta? The city has the chance to do something really special with this big tract of land. Why waste it on helping Hobo Joe when there are already private charities that do this? It is cute you are trying to save the World and your heart might be in the right place, but in the real World, this is an awful plan.
What would you propose to do about Homelessness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: