Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,194 times

Advertisements

Since Atlanta is mainly full of transplants (Atlanta and the surrounding burbs), do you think it's time for us to discover other places or are you staying? Many of my Georgia Peach friends are moving to other places and are loving it.

Last edited by ATLienGirl; 11-03-2007 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 06:54 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
After college, I would be perfectly happy staying in metro Atlanta. The are keeps getting more and more cosmopolitan!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times
I'm really thinkin of movin to FL once I get done wit my time at UWG... I'm sick of the cold weather and the lack of a REAL city feel. The only thing kinda holdin me back is all the bad things I hear about FL, and the fact that ATL is REALLY steppin up, and growin FAST! I don't wanna leave, and then come back a few yrs later and see a completely different city...

Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 AM

218 posts, read 1,189,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I'm really thinkin of movin to FL once I get done wit my time at UWG... I'm sick of the cold weather and the lack of a REAL city feel. The only thing kinda holdin me back is all the bad things I hear about FL, and the fact that ATL is REALLY steppin up, and growin FAST! I don't wanna leave, and then come back a few yrs later and see a completely different city...
Yeah, I know how you feel about that "something" holding you back...but, every time I go Jacksonville and spend some time, I LOVE it. The majority of my relatives from my dad's side live there. To me, it's that urban feel without so much congestion...I've been down several times a year, at different times of the day. I've really given it a lot of thought.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
And where do you think you're going to find a "real city" feel in Florida??? If Atlanta isn't "real city" enough for you, there's nothing in Florida that will work. Miami is the closest thing that they have, and it's not even up to the level of Atlanta.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
I've been considering moving for years but my business and family keeps me here for now. If I do move, I've considered moving back to Athens (GA), where I went to graduate school, or to Asheville or Charlotte. Atlanta has become too big for me. Too much traffic. Too much chaos. I miss the smaller, less crowded, and more polite Atlanta that I grew up in.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
I was born in Atlanta and I think I'm gone for good other than to visit family and friends.

It's too traffic-y, too corporate, too many a**holes now. No local identity, no local culture.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 34,751 times
I love it here, it is quickly becoming a world class city. I enjoy the diversity on a daily basis and quick pace this city is developing. Great weather as well!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Born and raised in Acworth (30 years now)... went to school downtown. Had a great time living downtown while there but it got old and too busy. Moved back out to Acworth after school yet still work downtown.

My fiance works in Buckhead and enjoys her company very much and we don't forsee her leaving anytime soon. I'm a software engineer so moving is pretty open to me. However, I have a large extended family in and around Acworth and most my friends from elementary, whom I'm still friends with, live in metro-Atlanta.

It would be hard to move, but I really want to. On my list.... West Alabama, South Tenn, SC, NC, Savannah, Jacksonville.....but I seriously doubt I could leave all this behind no matter how much I dislike it.

I group around acreage, horse farms, woods, etc. Now it's 1/4 acre, 1/6 acre lots, cookie cutter homes everywhere.....

I honestly believe if homes had to be on 1/2 acre minimum my perception would be much different.

We're trying to find a home to move into, but just the fact that cars parked all over the streets in neighborhoods, and being able to open your bedroom window and **** in your neighbors toilet really drives me crazy. Hell, if they just left mature trees when they built would even greatly benefit the look of these places.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:15 PM

30 posts, read 133,401 times
I agree with Bob ~ there are no "real cities" in Florida, certainly not Jacksonville. Florida is a different animal altogether. My advice would be to thoroughly research FL before making a move. Florida cities are much different from Atlanta and any other major thriving metropolis. If you are looking for excitement, maybe portions of Miami will satisfy you. Everywhere else is slowwww motion. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta