Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Almost any issue, no matter what the issue, no matter if the deal is a sweet deal or not, it always seems to me like the people of Atlanta (generally) jump out complaining about it...
(and it usually seems to be centered around a fear of new taxes. EVEN when the project won't cost them any new taxes, they still just want to complain).

TSPLOST
Atlanta’s Bad Traffic Situation Is About to Get Worse | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
Atlanta Stadium
Watchdog group launches petition to stop new stadium funding | www.wsbtv.com
MARTA funding
Coach Bud (Atlanta Hawks' new coach) - people on the radio complaining it's not a good move. WTH?
Beltline funding (was included in TSPLOST)
the list can go on and on and on and on and on......

And on another note,
Will Atlanta ever have a sense of civic pride???
Well...ok...in what places does the populace exhibit the enthusiasm and civic pride you want to see in Atlanta? What are we shooting for? Personally, I think Atlanta has more "can do spirit" than many places and it shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
The bad climate, the crime, nothing to do, having to drive virtually everywhere, politicians that NEVER listen to the people, politicians and people that would rather kill the region for a few bucks and a few short-term votes.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Every city forum in this site has complaining

Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I am Atlantan.....I am happy....therefore, I am...
Ok, OBVIOUSLY the post isn't talking about you specifically then... It's a broad generalization (hence the "generally")
But others that feel like I do know what I'm talking about. You've made no point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Because most don't realize what an awesome city they live in.
I agree. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I agree with the OP. I understand having concerns and whatnot, but it seems there is a small segment of the population (which is often the most vocal) that like to discredit and poke holes in EVERYTHING.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. No matter what happens, or what good news comes Atlanta's way, I hear an overwhelming sentiment of anti-trust, anti-support, skepticism, pecimism, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Note that most of your list was related to tax spending. It's a southern state. You can do the math.

Note that I am not really one of those people! I heavily supported TSPLOST, MARTA, and Beltline. Not really psyched about the stadium. Don't know anything about "Coach Bud".
Good point made... Tax IS involved in a lot, however the sentiment that I hear often doesn't concern tax. I've heard many trying to convince me that the TSPLOST was bad for black people. I've heard people tell me, "Well, MARTA "ain't" putting money in MY pocket, so why should I pay anything for them?" I keep hearing all kinds of negativity all across the board. It drives me nuts. But the most annoying part is when people JUMP to a negative conclusion without having done one ounce, one second of research before standing on their negative opinion. I STILL continue hearing idiots telling me "It's not fair for them to raise MY taxes so Arthur Blank can build himself a stadium..." Uhhh... Dumd@... The Atlanta Stadium project is THE ONLY ONLY ONLY New Stadium project that the citizens are paying 0%, aka $0.00 towards the funding of the stadium (unless you spend money in the areas that ARE going to be taxed to support it such as hotel & other hospitality taxes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Since moving here it has always drove me crazy how the headlines surrounding big events, festivals etc are always about how bad the traffic will be, avoid intown rather than how great the events are themselves. The AJC especially is notorious for this.

But on these - Most don't like tax increases although for the right issues they pass here, the school splost almost always pass around here. Even in so called liberal areas of the country its difficult to pass many taxes and you will find articles against them.

Coaches - always complaining and analysing on talk radio, especially with a first time unproven coach, its nothing new or unique here. You will also find a lot of complaining about the Falcons and their defense even though by most accounts they have a great team and nearly made the super bowl - Again, this is not so much an Atlanta thing but a sports thing and not realizing how good you have it -- its very common all over.
Right!!!
I hear your points, and I am not implying in any way that people only complain in Atlanta. However, 1st off, I could care less about how much people complain in Denver. It doesn't make the Atlanta complaining any more acceptable or any less annoying. And 2, my point is that nobody even knows what kind of coach, Coach Mike Bud will end up being yet. This is going to be his first Head Coach job. AND he's coming from over 15 years in a top of the line winning program system. Even Tony Parker praised him saying he's a great coach and that he'll do good things in Atlanta. But oh, noooo... Turn on the radio and listen to some of these callers calling in to voice their opinions of the Hawks' new coach selection and the are saying things like one caller talking about how he's not ever buying Hawks season tickets again because they don't care about winning...

I feel more than any other sentiment, an underlying message of "change nothing and give nothing a try, because nothing will work and things are just supposed to be the way they already are" from the spirit of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
... because people in NYC, Chicago, LA, DC, Miami, Houston, Dallas NEVER complain about anything ...
Sarcasm noted... And uneccessary.
Again, other's complaining doesn't make it any better in Atlanta. 1. And 2, a lot of those places you've listed, though people complain about some things, they have a level of civic/hometown pride. They WANT their city to succeed, and the pride will sometimes translate into a "yes" vote on things that will mean they may have to pay something more to see an improvment. Check out the public funding for the Dallas Stadium. And the Houston stadium. And the Miami Stadium. And the Giants stadium. New Yorkers complain, but also believe NYC is the greatest place on Earth, and they get things done! DC gets things done! They don't just talk it in DC. Many things get rumored, then next thing you know, there are dump trucks and cranes going up as they get to work... In Atlanta, it takes 10 years to do a feasibility study, then another 10 to convince the neighborhoods to vote yes. Then 20 years later, construction MIGHT start if there's any money left over, but wait... It's only 15 years into the idea, and we still haven't gotten that "yes" vote yet so we are still spending money on just trying to get people to buy into the idea of how the progress can help, rather than hurt. If only the community would just step in a LITTLE bit... Getting anything done in Atlanta is like trying to find support for an adult circumcision fair. There's a "can't do/won't work for me" atitude about the city towards almost everything, and it's no fun for anybody involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Well...ok...in what places does the populace exhibit the enthusiasm and civic pride you want to see in Atlanta? What are we shooting for? Personally, I think Atlanta has more "can do spirit" than many places and it shows.
NYC
Chicago
DC
Philly
Phoenix
Denver
San Diego
etc... List can go on...

I've lived in ATL, PHX, DC, LA, San Diego, Palo Alto (San Fran area), Pensacola, FL and Brooklyn...
I've noticed that:::

When living in Phoenix, there's not often news of something NEW(besides more homes) as often as in Atlanta, but when there IS a development or anything that hits the news and people start talking, I have yet to hear people jump out saying "well, let them pay for it. I shouldn't have to pay for anything." It's more of a general support for...

In DC, it appears to me (and I know it's only appearance) that most things that get talked about, get pushed through and done. That city/area doesn't much like to take "no" for an answer... Maryland: Gambling, let's get it done! New developments? get em done! Street cars? Get em done!

In Brooklyn... Not even going there... You can't tell a Brooklynite that something new in Brooklyn isn't a good idea. EVERYTHING that happens in Brooklyn is a good idea... Even if it IS a bad idea

San Diego. Never really noticed much interest in "how to" get anything done like in Atlanta. Seems like most have the mafia wife attitude... "Do whatever, take whatever, I love San Diego anyway..."

LA is a lot like Atlanta though. All across the board. However, there is a better since of LA pride than in ATL.

Ok, I'm tired of writing

Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I highly disagree. I feel Atlanta has more of a "can't do" spirit.
It's my hometown and I LOVE Atlanta.
But it breaks my heart when I keep hearing things that make me feel this way...

Honestly, I feel like Atlanta has the most "can't do" spirit of anywhere I have ever lived.

Don't get me wrong... A lot gets done and it does take a "can do" attitude to get it done. But things getting done doesn't mean the people are happy about them getting done. Seems to me like the spirit of the city is often unhappy that such-n-such is getting done and that "the city doesn't care about what the people think" because the people often think "no that's a bad idea."

Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
I couldn't be happier to be here. This city is awesome.

I don't agree that the city as a whole is always unhappy. There is a decidedly anti-tax attitude here, which I like, to an extent. It did help prevent the terrible waste that was the TSPLOST from passing.

But other than the anti tax sentiments, this city seems to be moving at a very fast pace and I get the feeling thats why people like it here. I don't hear any significant opposition to the Beltline, which is a huge project by the measure of any major city. I get the feeling that everyone is excited about the future. Maybe I am just stuck inside my own head too much. I just don't hear a whole lot of negativity out there.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:04 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
There are six million people here. Chances are pretty good that at least a few of them are going to complain about any issue you can come up with.
This. People who complain usually are the ones who make the most noise, for better or for worse.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This. People who complain usually are the ones who make the most noise, for better or for worse.
Yep. I used to look at apartmentreviews.com to see where to live. But apparently every single complex were falling apart and crime filled cesspools. Figured out that people that were unhappy were generally the only folks commenting there.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Almost any issue, no matter what the issue, no matter if the deal is a sweet deal or not, it always seems to me like the people of Atlanta (generally) jump out complaining about it...
(and it usually seems to be centered around a fear of new taxes. EVEN when the project won't cost them any new taxes, they still just want to complain).

TSPLOST
Atlanta’s Bad Traffic Situation Is About to Get Worse | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
Atlanta Stadium
Watchdog group launches petition to stop new stadium funding | www.wsbtv.com
MARTA funding
Coach Bud (Atlanta Hawks' new coach) - people on the radio complaining it's not a good move. WTH?
Beltline funding (was included in TSPLOST)
the list can go on and on and on and on and on......

And on another note,
Will Atlanta ever have a sense of civic pride???
Saying the people are NEVER or ALWAYS about anything is silly. You cherry pick the threads that discuss government spending and taxes, where taxpayer money is being proposed for what are in my opinion poorly conceived plans like TSPLOST or for private businesses like the Falcons.

I love football and I want my transportation problems worked on, but in neither case is the proposed use of taxpayer funds wise, in my opinion. If supporting government spending is the criterion you use to determine whether or not someone is "happy" then I suggest there are other cities and other states where you may be "happier" living.

Happiness has nothing do with a government check or how much of people's money the government takes and spends.

BTW...Atlanta has civic pride. You obviously weren't here when the city won the Olympics in the early 1990s. I was actually living here at the time and there was a lot of civic pride.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Funny how when the "complaining" is about wanting fantasy train lines or more spending, then the people are "principled, progressive, blah, blah" but when the so-called complaining is about wisely using taxpayer money, then it's just noise.

Funny how that works, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta