Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 PM

82 posts, read 335,403 times

Advertisements

Considering making the move from L.A. to ATL next summer and have quite a bit to figure out prior to then. I've been to Atlanta twice and got the feeling almost right away that it would be a nice place to grow up. I've enjoyed and lived in L.A. my whole life, but I'm not liking the future I'm seeing here for the next generation (my kids). Not only is it getting so crowded, but even with falling real estate prices, home ownership is unobtainable for the masses. For crying out loud, I recently sold a 1700 s.f. house on a 5500 s.f. lot for $700K. My sister's house in Alpharetta was half that cost, twice that size on a lot three times as large and with a basement!

Okay, I'm sure the grass isn't always greener, but my sister says she'd never move back to L.A. as she finds the quality of life much better.

So, if anybody is still read this pity party , do you have any recommendations for a prospective transplant? FWIW, I'd probably be looking to spend $350-$400K on a place, schools are of exteme importance and proximity to places of employment would be desirable. I know there is traffic there, but I recently stopped commuting 2.5-3 hours per day so nothing will shock me. That said, my profession is civil engineering, and if those jobs are more predominant in certain parts of town then that would be something to consider (though I may entertain the thought of doing consulting work for jobs in L.A.).

Any help, pointers, guidance for a 'refugee' would be appreciated. I promise not to Californicate on your fine town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
If you don't mind living near your sister, then Alpharetta wouldn't be a bad choice. It's become a bit crowded, and for being an outer suburb, the traffic can be a little irritating sometime. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a home in your price range, but if you're looking to maximize your budget, you might want to consider north Gwinnett County around the Duluth/Suwanee area. It's not too far from Alpharetta/Johns Creek; North Gwinnett is a great school district (both of my kids attend school there, and are on the honor roll); and it's pleasantly diverse (my neighborhood is rather desirable, and I've met people from New Jersey to New Delhi).

Parts of East Cobb that border Roswell are very nice also. Just plan on spending a little more on a home. The schools are very good, too.

I'm originally from the Bay Area, and like you, don't plan to go back to live in California unless I'm independently wealthy. Atlanta--most of it anyway--provides an excellent alternative to California. Although the mountains around Lake Tahoe, and shores of Monterey Bay can't be matched here, a slightly slower pace and nicer quality of life are well worth the trade.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM

36 posts, read 236,245 times
Hi there, there are currently 90 houses between 300k to 400k to choose from in Alpharetta, as you can see you will have plenty when you get here. Alpharetta is a very nice city. let us know if we can help

Make It a Great Day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta