U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 AM
 
1,586 posts, read 2,421,120 times
Reputation: 1386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm thinking there should be a Delta service from ATL to Tokyo's Haneda Airport. JAL could also bring back their Atlanta-Tokyo/Narita route.
Haneda is much more convenient to Tokyo than Narita but it mostly serves domestic Japanese flights with a few international sprinkled in here an there. Narita is Japan's main gateway to the rest of the world but it's so far from the city! It can take a good chunk of the day just getting from the airport to your destination in the city. Nonstop from Atlanta to Haneda would be a dream come true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
 
3,207 posts, read 4,506,672 times
Reputation: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Haneda is much more convenient to Tokyo than Narita but it mostly serves domestic Japanese flights with a few international sprinkled in here an there. Narita is Japan's main gateway to the rest of the world but it's so far from the city! It can take a good chunk of the day just getting from the airport to your destination in the city. Nonstop from Atlanta to Haneda would be a dream come true!
Supposedly Delta is angling for most/all of its Japan service to move over to HND, which requires a lot of posturing with the Japanese government. And, given the amount of overfly service they have started up (they just announced SEA-ICN and SEA-HKG), they would seem to have some leverage: a big Delta hub operation in Japan is no longer set in stone. From HND, Delta could try to forge a domestic partnership and be a dominant player in Japan, but without it they will probably slash service. Definitely a turning point moment in Japan for Delta.

I'd love to see ATL-HND. It would become the go-to for anyone flying from the southeast into Tokyo, given the convenience of the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,946 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
It makes no sense to me why they wouldn't replace weekly 10x 777 with 7x 380, as the capacities are very similar and running a second, non-daily frequency is usually suboptimal.

But I just looked up schedules for March and it looks like we have daily A380 service and 3x weekly 777-200 service open for reservation.

By my counts, 7x A380 service is 2,849 seats per week, while the current mix of 7x 777-300 and 3x 777-200 is 2,820 seats per week. Seems perfect. Keeping the 777-200 flying 3x a week adds another 783 seats for a new total of 3,632. An upgauge of 20% compared with the status quo, which is really, really good if it is what ends up happening. I'd love to see daily 777 service in addition to the A380 service (or, in a perfect world, Asiana entering the market, which seems less likely).
Thanks for the update, I tried looking at Korean Air site, but it was shut down. That makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,946 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
It makes no sense to me why they wouldn't replace weekly 10x 777 with 7x 380, as the capacities are very similar and running a second, non-daily frequency is usually suboptimal.

But I just looked up schedules for March and it looks like we have daily A380 service and 3x weekly 777-200 service open for reservation.

By my counts, 7x A380 service is 2,849 seats per week, while the current mix of 7x 777-300 and 3x 777-200 is 2,820 seats per week. Seems perfect. Keeping the 777-200 flying 3x a week adds another 783 seats for a new total of 3,632. An upgauge of 20% compared with the status quo, which is really, really good if it is what ends up happening. I'd love to see daily 777 service in addition to the A380 service (or, in a perfect world, Asiana entering the market, which seems less likely).

I wonder if Air France will upgauge Atlanta to Paris to A380 one day also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,458 posts, read 7,255,582 times
Reputation: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I wonder if Air France will upgauge Atlanta to Paris to A380 one day also.
I'd love to see it, but I think it is unlikely.

The distance is smaller than most routes with an A-380.

I'd also spot out that both airports are skyteam hubs. Delta/Air France probably benefit from having more flight options throughout the day.

I think there are usually 4+ flights a day between the two cities from Delta and Air France combined. With an A-380 it would be.....2 decreasing access to various connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,946 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'd love to see it, but I think it is unlikely.

The distance is smaller than most routes with an A-380.

I'd also spot out that both airports are skyteam hubs. Delta/Air France probably benefit from having more flight options throughout the day.

I think there are usually 4+ flights a day between the two cities from Delta and Air France combined. With an A-380 it would be.....2 decreasing access to various connections.
That make perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 AM
 
3,207 posts, read 4,506,672 times
Reputation: 1732
Delta just announced a bunch of new flights, including a couple from Atlanta:

- Daily nonstop from Atlanta to Leon, Mexico on CRJ900 regional jets. Nice service to a medium-sized Mexican city.
- Weekly service from Atlanta to Palm Springs, California on a 737-800. Delta has flirted with other ways to serve Southern California (including a planned flight to Ontario that never materialized), so I guess this is just another idea they have.

DELTA W13 North/Central America New Routes Summary | Airline Route – Worldwide Airline Route Updates

On the bad news front, Delta and Korean canceled most of their codesharing out of Atlanta. Hopefully this doesn't impact the long-term success of the A380.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,946 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Delta just announced a bunch of new flights, including a couple from Atlanta:

- Daily nonstop from Atlanta to Leon, Mexico on CRJ900 regional jets. Nice service to a medium-sized Mexican city.
- Weekly service from Atlanta to Palm Springs, California on a 737-800. Delta has flirted with other ways to serve Southern California (including a planned flight to Ontario that never materialized), so I guess this is just another idea they have.

DELTA W13 North/Central America New Routes Summary | Airline Route – Worldwide Airline Route Updates

On the bad news front, Delta and Korean canceled most of their codesharing out of Atlanta. Hopefully this doesn't impact the long-term success of the A380.
Oh boy that would be awful, but Korean and Delta did reinstate some codesharing routes out of LAX per Airline Route update link below. I also notice mid Sept. Korean has stopped the Atlanta A380 and moved it to JFK, and also upgauge the 777-200 to 777-300 from DFW. I wonder what happen with the partnership.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/09/06/d...deshare-sep13/

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 09-10-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,946 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Reputation: 3764
Another win for Atlanta Based Delta venture with London England based Virgin Atlantic. They received full approval from US DOT to fully implement their joint venture partnership. That means more connection through London Heathrow for Atlantans. It would be lovely to one day see Virgin Atlantic start service to Atlanta also.

Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic Airways Welcome U.S. Department of Transportation decision to grant Antitrust Immunity - Yahoo Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2013, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,946 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Reputation: 3764
United adds SFO-ATL again starting April 2014


SFO - ATL - SFO on UA is resuming effective April 1st 2014 eastbound and April 2nd 2014 westbound. Flights are now loaded and bookable on united.com.

SFO - ATL - SFO flights will use 737-800 aircraft.


I figured this would make a comeback sooner or later. Atlanta was the largest domestic market without nonstop UA service to SFO. That unfortunate distinction now goes to Detroit, and as such I wouldn't be surprised to see UA break the DL monopoly by adding SFO-DTW sometime soon. In fact, the Detroit metropolitan area is almost twice as populous as the Tampa Bay Area, now the second largest domestic market unserved from UA's burgeoning Pacific hub at SFO. In addition to DTW and TPA, I wouldn't be surprised if UA is considering a resumption of BDL, or new flights to BNA, CLT, CMH, or OMA (UAX/CR7) from SFO.

Anyhow, back on the subject of UA's SFO-ATL. I think there may be a few competitive factors to consider as well:

1) O&D travelers may forget/not know to check southwest.com, and once the FL flights are gone, UA will be that only other/non-DL option on those popular travel sites...

2) Devolving DL/KE relationship reducing SkyTeam attractiveness/options for Atlanta-Asia traffic, UA can capitalize on this issue...

3) Preempt VX addition of SFO-ATL. One can logically assume that Atlanta (and Houston) is on that carrier's shortlist for future expansion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top