U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,562 posts, read 7,684,125 times
Reputation: 4368

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Not trying to troll here.
If this is something you have to go out of your way to state... It is probably indicating something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 PM
 
1,637 posts, read 2,136,306 times
Reputation: 788
Im happy Ga, LA, NY, NC and Conn are taking these jobs away from Hollywood. Hollywood lost is our gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,439 posts, read 10,087,256 times
Reputation: 5925
OK, both sides of this argument have bashed the Tea Party. The Tea Party (whatever and whoever that is) is the latest bashable group for any and all problems I guess.

I don't see why you have to put a political label on anyone or anything to realize that tax breaks attract business. Neither do you have to be far right politically to realize that tax breaks for a corporation to locate doesn't mean that a slew of other tax streams will come because of this business, boosting state and local coffers. These folks will still be taxed on all purchases and income and properties and state fees on anything and everything, etc, etc, yada yada yada just like the rest of us.

But I guess it is ok to whine about the lost tax revenue that wouldn't have come anyway since the businesses wouldn't have relocated to GA if the tax climate weren't as attractive. Woe is us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
 
1,484 posts, read 1,662,482 times
Reputation: 920
I cringe at the title of the thread because California and NY will always be the dominant players in movie/TV production. That being said, some in the industry believe that Atlanta has to opportunity to become the third leg of the industry with the permanent infrastructure being built here.


Creative Loafing has a good read on the subject.

Georgia's blank check to Hollywood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
 
5,119 posts, read 3,320,597 times
Reputation: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
OK, both sides of this argument have bashed the Tea Party. The Tea Party (whatever and whoever that is) is the latest bashable group for any and all problems I guess.

I don't see why you have to put a political label on anyone or anything to realize that tax breaks attract business. Neither do you have to be far right politically to realize that tax breaks for a corporation to locate doesn't mean that a slew of other tax streams will come because of this business, boosting state and local coffers. These folks will still be taxed on all purchases and income and properties and state fees on anything and everything, etc, etc, yada yada yada just like the rest of us.

But I guess it is ok to whine about the lost tax revenue that wouldn't have come anyway since the businesses wouldn't have relocated to GA if the tax climate weren't as attractive. Woe is us.
I think the difference in opinion is whether any and all business should get tax breaks, or rather those that do create mountains of jobs, spend lots of money, pave the way for other businesses to form to support it, etc. I wouldn't offer a tax break to a company to relocate its office here and put 100 office workers to work or to open a new gas station. But if an entire industry moves in, providing work for thousands of people, requiring an entire infrastructure of other supporting businesses which creates even more jobs, which in turn requires more stores, more places to live, more food, etc (all providing more jobs)...that's a very different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 PM
 
259 posts, read 323,274 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
YOU: ... 100 years ago, not only was there a major Southeast film making city, that city almost was Hollywood since it was in the Eastern US and had great train access to NYC (money etc).

Pretty clear you're trying to draw correlations between JAX then and Atlanta now.

Dude, stop flattering yourself and trying to insult me. I've been reporting on the entertainment industry -- as well as politics, business and development -- for 25 years. I'm not some dumb kid with stars in his eyes who thinks it's "neato" that Hollywood is coming to town! I also have VERY deep roots in South Metro Atlanta, where the industry is moving, and specifically Fayette County. I know both the FAMILY that owned the land where Pinewood is being built as well as the family that lives RIGHT NEXT DOOR and refused to sell their land. Not to mention all the politicians, developers and industry insiders who've made this amazing project reality.

PINEWOOD IS BEING BUILT! Hundreds of ancillary businesses are getting ready to come in on their coattails. There is a potential for THOUSANDS of permanent local jobs, not just from TV and film making but everything else that follows it.

Hollywood may not be here to stay, but Pinewood is.
Why do you live in Savannah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM
 
259 posts, read 323,274 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
No, it's not a correlation. Just because you view it that way because you overly sensitive doesn't make it so.
You keep trying to argue.




Once, again, not insulting you. You seem to take any comment that isn't come Chamber of Commerce love letter very personally.
What is your point? What are you trying to prove here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM
 
259 posts, read 323,274 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know studies have shown that the ROI when it comes to tax subsidies for the film industry are typically not worth the cost, but in GA's case, with the infrastructure that's coming to the state, I think it will be worth it in the long run.
How would we be loosing money if they never came in the first place? What's the loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 01:50 PM
 
259 posts, read 323,274 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Keep dreaming. Not trying to troll here. That comment is just a little too far fetched.
You say you aren't trolling, but you only came here to "put us in our place" ( despite us being a Beta World city anyway). It's obvious you wanted to "stir the pot" from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
How would we be loosing money if they never came in the first place? What's the loss?
I'm not really sure what you're asking in relation to the point I made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top