Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times

Advertisements

This thread reminds me of that "Snow on the Bluff" movie. I dont see how any woman has a hard time getting a date in Atlanta.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
Hate to add to a really old thread, but I'm doing it anyway. I'll just say 90% of my black girlfriends who live in the south (including Atlanta) are in serious relationships or married and 90% of my black girlfriends in NYC are on the struggle bus. As in, completely single and not even in a committed relationship.

Soo...yeah..It may not be saying much but I think there is at least a little more hope in the A.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
As to upward mobility for anyone: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/bu..._20130722&_r=0

Atlanta was found to be THE worse city in the country for upward mobility. I never believed their hype. Is all boosterism. Based on reality on the streets. observation and witness accounts I can positively affirm that the "black mecca" is no more, it actually never really was. It has been made up.

As to dating. I never encountered a married black female there. I mean, seriously married in a long term monogamous relationship. I'd say most of them put up with the 'culture' that goes down there. Either they are separated (the husbands left them but never divorced, husbands do not like to pay alimony or child support so they remain married), date bumps who date everyone else, mostly are single mothers.

City lacks diversity and it is too monolithic.
I can kinda see your point.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
I know of plenty of happily married couples residing in different cities and even rural areas.

I don't think it is altogether one city being better than another. Density and cultural events have nothing to do with it.

Women need a good husband and men need a good wife. I hear people making an issue of professional status and income where as I know of bus drivers and fire fighters who make a very good living. I know janitors who own homes and make a good catch.

I would have to admit all recent marriages in my circle have involved college educated under 25 and all come from very strong black Christian families. From rural Mississippi and Nashville to Chicago.

I think it is about timing and knowing what you want rather than city and suburbs vs rural.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Many women only want men who are 6' 2" and no lower. It is fine to have a preference as long as you are realistic about it and have the right expectations.
The irony of that is most of those 6'2 guys have other qualities that are missing. You can't get the total package and for that case there are some things we need to compromise in our lives

Old 10-26-2013, 07:13 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Hate to add to a really old thread, but I'm doing it anyway. I'll just say 90% of my black girlfriends who live in the south (including Atlanta) are in serious relationships or married and 90% of my black girlfriends in NYC are on the struggle bus. As in, completely single and not even in a committed relationship.

Soo...yeah..It may not be saying much but I think there is at least a little more hope in the A.
That's encouraging.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post

lol at struggle bus....

Old 10-26-2013, 09:36 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Mia23456 View Post
I constantly hear that Atlanta is the "black mecca," but it certainly doesn't seem like the black dating mecca. Are there plenty of suitable dating options for professional black women?
I'm going to break this down in the most simplest of terms. If you're looking for a job - yes; if you're looking for a man - no.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,931 times
Exclamation black mecca what ever

I currently moved here in Jan 2012 I have only seen women with 3 or more kids 21 yrs and under, the men here are either boarding on gay or gay. The have the weakest dress game I ever seen coming from FLA ever one there has nice clothes and shoes, the women here in ga struck me as ODD THERE STILL WEARING PONY TAIL WITH THEIR OWN HAIR STICKING OUT ON THE SIDES NO CLASS. I wouldn't move here no jobs ever one works fast food and hotel jobs. People here lie constantly about having money when everyone is living pay check to pay check. The thinking here is ass backward no common sense it will get on your damn nerves. I will be moving in a couple of months to anywhere but here possibility north since the houses for rent are damn near the same you cant find anywhere decent with out running into mold or mildew or even roaches shot gun houses are 800-1000 in the roughest area. oh did I mention no jobs. My son has no criminal record graduated with honors since 2012 in college and still has been contacted for a job not even fast food. Oh yeah beware of rent scams they'll rent you something that doesn't belong to them or they'll rent you something and sell it from up under you with contingence at closing about moving. I only making it because I run my own business. I had to lower prices here no money I need say more I am gone flagirl654

Old 10-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I'm going to break this down in the most simplest of terms. If you're looking for a job - yes; if you're looking for a man - no.
Whats wrong with the men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta