U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 PM

10,004 posts, read 9,283,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
Check the white celebrities thread.
That thread is not apropos of this discussion. To attempt to correlate the two is a bit dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM

29,253 posts, read 26,188,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprial View Post
Until the past ~10 years there was not a meaningful amount of vertical residential options.
A minor point of disagreement. We've actually quite a bit of highrise living in Atlanta for several decades. Think about places like the Oaks, the Grandview, Plaza Towers, Park Place, the Concorde, Colony Square, Bennington, the Barclay, etc.

Plus you've got classics like the Reid House and the Georgian Terrace.

But I agree that the number of residential highrises increased greatly in the past decade.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM

4,181 posts, read 4,847,906 times
if you're talking about intown, i think it's because we're seeing more "smart density" developing rather than the WWII era density of NYC. yes, we have high rise apartments and condos, but we have tree lined streets, the beltline, and parks all over the place, so even if you live in a high rise you're only a few blocks away from nature.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM

10,004 posts, read 9,283,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
if you're talking about intown, i think it's because we're seeing more "smart density" developing rather than the WWII era density of NYC. yes, we have high rise apartments and condos, but we have tree lined streets, the beltline, and parks all over the place, so even if you live in a high rise you're only a few blocks away from nature.
Which is one of Atlanta's unique and beautiful features compared to many other cities.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM

62 posts, read 61,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A minor point of disagreement. We've actually quite a bit of highrise living in Atlanta for several decades. Think about places like the Oaks, the Grandview, Plaza Towers, Park Place, the Concorde, Colony Square, Bennington, the Barclay, etc.

Plus you've got classics like the Reid House and the Georgian Terrace.

But I agree that the number of residential highrises increased greatly in the past decade.
Attempted to acknowledge its existence prior to 10 years ago with the "meaningful" qualifier, but I suppose that is subjective.

Back to the original post as many have said: airport, quality universities, climate (August can be unpleasant, but there is nowhere I'd rather be in September/October and March/April), several muli-national corporations, the food benefits from the abundant quality of ingredients native to the south, trees....may not be as sexy as a NYC, Miami or LA, but there are plenty of reasons it's desirable. Desirability often translates into an elevated quality of living.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:54 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,178,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Except most of the black population of the Atlanta metro lives in the suburbs. Atlanta is also continually dropping it's black pop. in the city itself. Soon, the black percentage will no longer be over 50% and the white population of the city of Atlanta continues to increase.

It's clear you don't know much outside your little state of Alaska so just stay there.
"I can see Russia from my window"

Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM

4,368 posts, read 3,530,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Are you sure you live in Atlanta????

LOL!
Yep. Born and raised. But I've also spent most of my last 3 years in Texas near Houston where September there is like our early/mid August. 90s every day with dewpoints near 70. Anywhere along the gulf coast is more humid than here. And for longer. September is beautiful here. September in Texas is just another hot summer month. It's really not that bad here.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,347,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
True. We never had a natural disaster, low cost of living, crime generally is not bad (we do not have to worry about 70 people being shot in one weekend like Chicago does) etc
Well, there was that ice storm a couple of years ago. Atlanta was encased in a literal thick sheet of ice. And Atlanta's crime rate is a bit on the high side.

But to me, Atlanta is a good comprise. You get the 4 seasons. It can get really hot and surprisingly cold, but not often extreme. Weather can get bad with tornadoes but the worst is usually in Alabama and rains can be heavy but they don't last long. A big metro so most amenities can be found. Lots of room to sprawl keeping housing costs low. A very good transportation hub with a decent transit system. Good foliage, slightly hilly, and there's Stone Mountain. Diverse population with attractive women in abundance.

Atlanta is not superlative in anything particular, just good all around.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM

23,254 posts, read 17,451,661 times
Lot's of strip clubs.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,994,974 times
Except most of the black population of the Atlanta metro lives in the suburbs. Atlanta is also continually dropping it's black pop. in the city itself. Soon, the black percentage will no longer be over 50% and the white population of the city of Atlanta continues to increase.

It's clear you don't know much outside your little state of Alaska so just stay there.

you are one racist jerk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or