U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 AM

29,264 posts, read 26,193,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
An interesting point in the article: Poverty rates have remained the same in Chicago even with the influx of wealthy whites.
SM, I know you are referring to Chicago. However, it's worth noting that down here the whites moving into the city are by no means all wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 AM

23,278 posts, read 17,455,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
The following should help explain the demographic shift in Atlanta.

For the years 2000-2010

In NPU W (East Atlanta, Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Benteen Park), the black population went from 57.6% to 38.0%, and the white proportion rose from 36.5% to 54.8%

In NPU O (Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Lake area), the black population went from 86.2% to 58.7%, and the white proportion rose from 11.3% to 36.9%.

During those same years Atlanta lost over 30,000 black citizens while it gained over 20,000 white citizens. The black percentage of the total population went down almost 1.5 percent each year. At the rate it is changing the city will no longer be majority black in less than a decade.
To add to this comment: Tommer ES, which serves Kirkwood and East Lake, has seen a 500% increase in the number of white kids, but is still very diverse.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 AM

743 posts, read 676,909 times
From Article: "Also on the Institute’s list are zip codes in not-quite-global cities such as Chattanooga, Austin, Atlanta, St. Paul, Indianapolis, Tampa, and Portland..."

Now I'm pissed

Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 AM

10,006 posts, read 9,285,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
From Article: "Also on the Institute’s list are zip codes in not-quite-global cities such as Chattanooga, Austin, Atlanta, St. Paul, Indianapolis, Tampa, and Portland..."

Now I'm pissed
Don't be pissed. I, too, think that we are not quite there yet. But we are certainly progressing at a healthy pace towards being there. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's exciting!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 AM

1,648 posts, read 1,734,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Don't be pissed. I, too, think that we are not quite there yet. But we are certainly progressing at a healthy pace towards being there. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's exciting!
I was a little mad for a second. We have the comfort of knowing we're closer to being there than the other cities in the "not quite" group. I think any two of them combined would have a hard time competing with Atlanta, though I am biased. The next five years will push Atlanta into a new dimension.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,046,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
To add to this comment: Tommer ES, which serves Kirkwood and East Lake, has seen a 500% increase in the number of white kids, but is still very diverse.
We have talked about his before. Toomer isn't diverse. Outside of Pre-K, there are virtually no white students. This year, for example, 23 of the 54 white students were in Pre_k, leaving another 31 in grades k-5. Based on the data, it seems like many white kids are in pre-k, but don't continue onto K. (Does Toomer host other schools' pre-ks.) For example, in 11-12, there were 33 white children in pre-k and the next year there were 13 in kindergarten.

I think it is important to be careful how we portray things.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 AM

139 posts, read 187,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
For the years 2000-2010

In NPU W (East Atlanta, Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Benteen Park), the black population went from 57.6% to 38.0%, and the white proportion rose from 36.5% to 54.8%

In NPU O (Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Lake area), the black population went from 86.2% to 58.7%, and the white proportion rose from 11.3% to 36.9%.
Far south, southwest, and west Atlanta lost black populations at a similar rate that NPUs W&O did, but did not get the same influx of whites. Is that simply because of proximity to the established communities in east Atlanta (Inman, Candler Parks, et al)?

That's my story and that of many of my friends. We all rented in Midtown, Inman, Va-Hi before buying in Cabbagetown, Grant Park, EAV in the early to mid 2,000's.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 AM

87 posts, read 167,717 times
The trend started right before the Olympics. The systematic destruction of public housing in Atlanta plays a major role in gentrification. Those residents were dispersed throughout the metro Atlanta. Blacks have been living in the suburbs moving to Stone Mountain, Lithonia, Jonesboro, College Park, East Point, and others for decades.

Now those areas mentioned have decayed into areas that are not safe with public housing and section 8 vouchers playing a role in that. The seeds have been planted and it already has roots. 10-20 years from now, "Intown Atlanta" will be mostly white and blacks will live in the surrounding areas.

The west side is next and East Atlanta will continue with gentrification. Working closer to your job, access to MARTA, parks, restaurants, and others provide a quality of life better than living in the suburbs for SOME residents.

Like one person mentioned, people who have kids will still move to suburbs. I do believe once the quality of schools increases, then that trend will also decrease somewhat as well.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:55 PM

29,264 posts, read 26,193,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcontroller View Post
The trend started right before the Olympics. The systematic destruction of public housing in Atlanta plays a major role in gentrification. Those residents were dispersed throughout the metro Atlanta. Blacks have been living in the suburbs moving to Stone Mountain, Lithonia, Jonesboro, College Park, East Point, and others for decades.
The closing of the housing projects definitely had a big impact, but blacks had already started moving out of the city of Atlanta in the mid-80s.

People have many reasons for deciding where to live. One factor that doesn't seem to get a lot of comment is that a lot of the young families who move back to gentrifying neighborhoods feel a sense of home there. These were often the neighborhoods where their parents or grandparents lived, and the old neighborhoods give them a sense of place and history.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM

13,458 posts, read 21,939,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Yea! Why should white people be able to move wherever they want! They should be forced to stay in the suburbs where they belong. If they sneak in somehow, we should force all those crackers to live in every other house, then we can infill with black people! Gotta keep Atlanta black you know! Black people are never racist, but we all know every white person is secretly racist... this 'new urbanism' is just the KKK in disguise. Oh, and, don't worry about those Asians and Hispanics. Blacks are the only true minority in this country, so we deserve better treatment, sorry Pedro and Chang.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or