U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM

39 posts, read 91,324 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the northern suburbs from Orlando in 3 weeks. We plan on looking for houses this weekend and have asked our realtor to send us homes that meet our criteria in woodstock. She has sent us a few, but sent us twice as many homes in Cummings because she thinks it would be a good fit for our family.

We are 20-something's with a 6-wk old. Husband is in sales covering GAm Alabama and Chattanooga. I stay at home with our son. We are very family and faith-oriented. We are also looking for a 4 bedroom for under 325k.

Any insight into Woodstock vs Cumming for our family? I'm not sure why she is pushing that community so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,676,607 times
Tell her to refocus on Woodstock. Woodstock fits your needs and is a good location for trips to Chattanooga, GA in general and Alabama. Travel from Cumming to Chattanooga would be a nightmare.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 PM

113 posts, read 294,030 times
We just moved to Woodstock from the Tampa area and we are also in our 20's. We have two kids and we love this area. It's very pretty here with the hills, trees etc. We also feel very safe here. Woodstock is also close to Kennesaw and Marietta where there is also a lot to do. And like the previous poster said, you will be closer to Alabama and Tennessee! I would definitely check out some houses in Woodstock and definitely in the Towne Lake area.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 PM

4,461 posts, read 7,257,595 times
If your husband is back and fourth between areas of Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee, why not look into Rome? It is centrally located.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 AM

924 posts, read 1,168,735 times
Woodstock is a MUCH better area for your husband's job. It sounds like you might have an agent that is more experienced in Cumming and if they don't start sending you more options around Woodstock maybe you should change agents. If Woodstock doesn't have enough houses for you to look at expand to Canton or Kennesaw.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:36 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,127,377 times
Woodstock is better for you. Tell that agent you aren't interested in Cumming

Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM

2,068 posts, read 3,491,148 times
If you are looking for new in the Woodstock area, look at Woodstock Knoll.

I may be a little biased, because I live in Woodstock, but I think it is a far better location than Cumming. The downtown area is very active with a variety of restaurants and unique shops. The city has festivals and concerts downtown regularly, along with all the usual community parades throughout the year. There is a farmer's market every Saturday (except in the winter). And, the outlet mall just opened.

And as others have said, it is far more convenient to I-75 and Chattanooga.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
Another vote here for Woodstock.

Like other posters have repeatedly stated both on this thread and your previous thread, Woodstock would be a better location for you and your family than Cumming because of your husband's business travel to and from Chattanooga and Alabama.

Just like Cumming in Forsyth County does, as a community in the highly-desired lushly-wooded rolling to hilly Northern suburbs of Atlanta, Woodstock also enjoys a very-high quality-of-living with very-low crime and excellent schools in the feeder zones for Etowah, Woodstock and River Ridge high schools.

Chattanooga and Alabama are much more easily accessible from Woodstock and Cherokee County in the I-575 corridor then they are from Cumming and Forsyth County in the GA 400 corridor, particularly during peak hours (morning and evening rush hours and periods of heavy travel on weekends and holidays, etc) because of Woodstock's close location to I-75.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,512,832 times
A look at the real estate listings in the Homefinder section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reveals that there is likely an abundant stock of 4 bedroom homes near and within your price range of $325k and lower (the parameters only allow for a search of homes under $350,000) in the Woodstock area.

Here is a link to the AJC Homefinder page showing 188 four-bedroom homes for sale under the price of $350,000 in the Woodstock area:
Woodstock GA Homes for sales | Atlanta Journal Constitution

If your agent is only giving you information about homes in the Cumming area, as some of the other posters have stated, it is likely because that agent is mostly experienced in or prefers to work only in (or even lives in) the Cumming area (and likely is biased heavily towards Cumming and does not like to drive too far away from her preferred area, which is quite common in the Real Estate business with investors and realtors who prefer certain areas over anywhere else).

Also, as other posters have stated, if you happen to not be able to find anything that you like in the Woodstock area, you can also expand your search to include the nearby areas of Canton (nearby county seat of Cherokee County), Acworth (which straddles Southwest Cherokee County and Northwest Cobb County) and Kennesaw (also in Northwest Cobb County) which all provide quick access to and from I-75 to and from Chattanooga and provide much easier access to Alabama than points further east like Cumming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or