Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,568 times

Advertisements

White student unions: Idea spreads to Georgia State | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

The community needs to know about the crap that goes on at GSU. I can't even deal.

"Freshman Patrick Sharp said he started the club to serve as place where students of European and Euro-American descent can celebrate their shared history and culture and discuss issues that affect white people, such as immigration and affirmative action. The club is not an official student group recognized by the university. Sharp said any student can join and that he would work with other clubs, such as the Black Student Alliance, on common issues.Georgia State is highly diverse, with whites comprising 38 percent of the student body, followed by blacks at 35 percent, Asians at 12 percent and Latinos at 7 percent."

For those of you who don't know, GSU's on-campus atmosphere is very urban and geared towards African Americans. That statistic is including all the law students, grad students, nursing students. The undergraduate population is comprised of 39% black, 34% white.

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/c...ate-university

On campus, black fraternities and black student groups run the show. They play rap music and feature rap artists in the courtyard every Tuesday and Thursday. Many students have transferred from AUC schools. Mostly black students live in on-campus housing.

There's LOTS of controversy going on about this on campus. Students are complaining already. I expect GSU to take action if things follow suit.

Here's a video interview of Patrick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...lPPFGsRw#at=32

Last edited by ChefRamsey; 08-01-2013 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
So you post an article about a White group being created, then you complain about the black population. What point are you trying to get at? It seems all over the place.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM

long time no speak ant...

I'm not complaining about anything this time. I'm only noting why this is a big deal to GSU students. On the class pages, everyone is going nuts. Personally, I think the guy has bad intentions. Why not create a European Student Union? Why White? Lots of schools have Italian Student Alliance, Greek student alliance, English student alliance, German student alliance etc. Why "WHITE"? He also noted that the group would look for white interests. Well, some might be valid concerns, but why not just hold renaissance nights and hand out free Italian food instead? Seems a little fishy to me. I'm also curious as to how this has become such a big of an issue already. TIME wrote about it. At the same time, I'm disgusted by everyone who's out to get him with pitch forks just because he's creating a group that isn't helping minorities. I mean it's GSU, the school itself is there to help minorities. Glad this nut didn't get accepted to UGA or Tech. pft.

Someone took a picture of this Patrick guy and wrote:

"This is Patrick Sharp, the founder and organizer of the "White Student Union". The same guy who posts anti-Muslim, homo/transphobic, White supremacist materials on his Facebook and is connected to said groups."

Another guy posted this link:
GSU “White Student Union” has formal ties with Neo-Nazi organization, Patrick Sharp displays images of racial bigotry | biscuette

I see posts with 100+ comments. Some even want to take legal action.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
I can't think on what grounds there can be opposition.

GSU has
Black Graduate Student Association
Black Sophomore Society
Black Student Alliance
BlackOUT (for Black lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, etc)
Women in Computing in Atlanta
Caribbean Student Association
Chinese Student Union
etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Okay I am confused, I graduated from GSU last year and I can say the GSU is not geared toward any particular race. GSU is a urban campus because it is located in the most urban part of a top ten major American student. I can say that GSU is the most racially diverse place I have ever been in Atlanta. I've had teachers in my 4.5 years at the school from every corner of the earth and there are clubs to represent pretty much everyone in the world.

But, I see no problem if there were clubs like the English American Student association, or Polish American Student Alliance where people are celebrating their own country history and striving for particular positive goals. When I see "white American" student clubs I look with a side eye because these clubs are mostly started out of spite and hatred of people of color, or they are started to mock the other clubs.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times
The founder seems like a troll in the fox segment. I would not be offended if someone started a legitimate European Culture Association or equivalent.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I can't think on what grounds there can be opposition.

GSU has
Black Graduate Student Association
Black Sophomore Society
Black Student Alliance
BlackOUT (for Black lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, etc)
Women in Computing in Atlanta
Caribbean Student Association
Chinese Student Union
etc.
True, I was part of VSA(viet student assoc)

But I mean, what if he doesn't want to exclude all the other white people that aren't English or German or even European. Many Middle Eastern people are "white" and technically so are some Indians and North African.. That might be it.

Here's a video interview...he doesn't SEEM to have bad intentions...but..

Student Patrick Sharp organizes White Student Union at Georgia State University - YouTube

Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM

23,443 posts, read 44,050,291 times
This was invited. IMO, they don't have a leg to stand on. My non-white husband agrees

Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
You're 20 years behind, GSU.

This went on at University of Florida when I was there and probably countless other universities.

Same story. The white student union was founded as a bit of a statement against organizations like the black student union that are exclusionary by nature, the students get into an uproar, the university disavows affiliation while at the same time stopping short of refusing to allow the organization to meet on campus, and after the smoke clears, the organization just sort of vanishes due to lack of interest after the initial statement has been made.

That's how it goes down. Welcome to 1991, GSU. Prepare to have your mind blown when Smells Like Teen Spirit comes out.

EDIT: My mistake, you're 23 years behind: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/08/st...-protests.html

Last edited by ATLTJL; 08-01-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
I heard an interview with him this morning on Rock 100.5 and he seemed like he was doing it to prove a point and not as some kkk racist type. He is correct that there are many racially specific student groups at GSU(and at colleges around the country) so why can't they have a white one if they want as long as they aren't excluding people who want to join and can bring something positive to the group? Technically they are a minority at GSU as well if you want to get specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: