Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Pretty much sounds like you are saying lets just allow people to say what they want and not disagree with what they say even if ehat they say is unfounded.
Do you really think most people who like the city care if other people don't?That not even realistic to say that.

What people don't like is people attacking ,making stereotypical remarks and acting as if all the negative things are more common than anywhere else in the U.S.

Its not being defensive.Its just being factual.A city of 5 million people has more than one culture.This is not Jackson,MS.
Since you were speaking to a person who responded to my post, I will state that I don't think he/she was saying that at all and I certainly was not either.

I actually frequent many other city forums here on CD and they do have people come in and negatively comment on the city in questions. Usually one or two respondents put that poster in their place. Most of the time, they will even humorously disregard that poster and then go on about whatever the topic is or answer questions about people looking to relocate to said area since most threads surround those types of inquiries.

Those negative commenters are shown for the idiots they are. And FWIW, with all the issues that Detroit has (and I have been looking on the Detroit forum recently as I personally don't have a negative view of Detroit and feel that the city will make an emergence within the next 10 years so I am thinking of moving there within the next 2 years so I am researching various neighborhoods via the forum) you rarely have people come in there and post inflammatory threads and then have all the posters respond in a somewhat frenzied way like what is done here. They will address whatever issue is being presented and move on and very rarely are they "snarky." They also do not regularly down other cities when speaking of their city, which is done often here in the Atlanta forum. An Atlanta poster will bring up a city no one was talking about just to bash it and make Atlanta look better instead of just being satisfied that Atlanta, without having to compare to another, is a great city.

You actually did that yourself in speaking of Jackson, MS. It was done in a recent thread when someone dissed Cincinnati, OH. I have never been to Jackson so can't comment on their city, but I have been to Cincinnati, and it is a beautiful city and didn't need to be dissed the way it was neither did Jackson IMO as I'm sure they have a culture of their own worth respecting.

Someone posted a thread about how Ford is recruiting at CAU and GT and instead of people commenting on how great it was that Atlanta has such high caliber institutions where major companies are recruiting students, many posters 1-dissed CAU (this happens a lot here too and invites criticism of Atlanta, many posters vehemently dislike HBCUs here when Atlanta is known for having a successful black population and many of us, including myself went to Atlanta HBCUs) and 2-dissed Detroit. I and another poster, who does usually post in the Detroit forum responded saying somewhat positive things and both were downed and Detroit was again bashed along with CAU.

So the bashing that goes on about Atlanta is done mostly because there are really sensitive posters here who are really snarky via the forum. It is easy to down a city when its posters down various parts of the city (burbs vs intown, HBCUs vs GSU or GT, black vs white, etc.) and then they diss other areas to prove how great they are. It is really childish IMO. I don't think you are this way but I think you can admit that it is here. Posters in other forums aren't as defensive or as snarky as many of the Atlanta forum regulars.

And FWIW, I do think that having an "Atlanta Suburbs" forum similar to Detroit and Chicago would be beneficial as it would cut down on a lot of the infighting about Atlanta that is frequent around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,355,889 times
It's not just Atlanta, the "Columbus Kids" are like that too.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,755,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Since you were speaking to a person who responded to my post, I will state that I don't think he/she was saying that at all and I certainly was not either.

I actually frequent many other city forums here on CD and they do have people come in and negatively comment on the city in questions. Usually one or two respondents put that poster in their place. Most of the time, they will even humorously disregard that poster and then go on about whatever the topic is or answer questions about people looking to relocate to said area since most threads surround those types of inquiries.

Those negative commenters are shown for the idiots they are. And FWIW, with all the issues that Detroit has (and I have been looking on the Detroit forum recently as I personally don't have a negative view of Detroit and feel that the city will make an emergence within the next 10 years so I am thinking of moving there within the next 2 years so I am researching various neighborhoods via the forum) you rarely have people come in there and post inflammatory threads and then have all the posters respond in a somewhat frenzied way like what is done here. They will address whatever issue is being presented and move on and very rarely are they "snarky." They also do not regularly down other cities when speaking of their city, which is done often here in the Atlanta forum. An Atlanta poster will bring up a city no one was talking about just to bash it and make Atlanta look better instead of just being satisfied that Atlanta, without having to compare to another, is a great city.

You actually did that yourself in speaking of Jackson, MS. It was done in a recent thread when someone dissed Cincinnati, OH. I have never been to Jackson so can't comment on their city, but I have been to Cincinnati, and it is a beautiful city and didn't need to be dissed the way it was neither did Jackson IMO as I'm sure they have a culture of their own worth respecting.

Someone posted a thread about how Ford is recruiting at CAU and GT and instead of people commenting on how great it was that Atlanta has such high caliber institutions where major companies are recruiting students, many posters 1-dissed CAU (this happens a lot here too and invites criticism of Atlanta, many posters vehemently dislike HBCUs here when Atlanta is known for having a successful black population and many of us, including myself went to Atlanta HBCUs) and 2-dissed Detroit. I and another poster, who does usually post in the Detroit forum responded saying somewhat positive things and both were downed and Detroit was again bashed along with CAU.

So the bashing that goes on about Atlanta is done mostly because there are really sensitive posters here who are really snarky via the forum. It is easy to down a city when its posters down various parts of the city (burbs vs intown, HBCUs vs GSU or GT, black vs white, etc.) and then they diss other areas to prove how great they are. It is really childish IMO. I don't think you are this way but I think you can admit that it is here. Posters in other forums aren't as defensive or as snarky as many of the Atlanta forum regulars.

And FWIW, I do think that having an "Atlanta Suburbs" forum similar to Detroit and Chicago would be beneficial as it would cut down on a lot of the infighting about Atlanta that is frequent around here.
I mentioned Jackson earlier because I was making a point that people try to act like Atlanta and other southern cities are alike.Its not by far.Lets face it:Mississippi is the way it is for a reason.I have nothing against it but I do believe it is a state stuck in the past.It is the poorest state in the U.S.
I have been to Jackson.I do know what I'm talking about.If I said something false then correct what I said.I did not say anything false.In fact all I said was Atlanta is not Jackson.Its not.Nor is it Detroit.I don't se what was so offensive.It was truthful.

As far as Detroit,if you look at some of my past post I have never downed Detroit but lets face it there is reality.
I can also say that some of the nicest people I have ever met were in Mississippi and Wisconsin.Both white and black.Just kind people to a fault.
How ever there are deep seated issues of race and poverty that linger there.
I see more venom directed at Atlanta than any other city on here.I see some people volunteer all kinds of hateful stuff that is not even on topic.Just like a poster a few pages back.He said one thing bad about Atlanta that had absolutely NOTHING about this topic.

I have heard people post in Atlanta forums who just hate anything in the South.You can look at there history of all there post and its a pattern of just nasty stuff in all their post.

The snarkieness comes from responding to the same people who are instigators.
Like I said something to someone because I knew that in past post we have had a bad history so when he made a comment that to anybody else thought was innocent,I knew it was not.
So when I responded,someone else thought I was being "overly defensive".they had no idea we have had run ins in the past.
Several post later the same "negative poster" said something snarly to another poster who had been proven wrong about a statement he made.The negative poster went out of his way to be nasty.It basically proved my point that the poster was an instigator.

So yes I agree people are defensive on the Atlanta forum but its usually because so much false information about Atlanta is just propagated on this forum.

Anyone can come in on these forums and say what they feel but if you if cant back it up then give it up.If I said anything wrong then prove what I said was wrong but don't come in here telling me how I should respond,Im not a child and I have an opinion.You may not like how I answer a question but prove me wrong.If you can't then shut up an move on.I could care less how you respond neither should you care about how i do.

Last edited by afonega1; 08-13-2013 at 12:21 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,204,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I dig everything that you all are saying. However, the original post was about "Reality TV complex" and how it relates to Atlanta.

Despite the number of "successful" Black folk in Atlanta, this is what is projected to the world. Not by other folk in black face. This is us:

Some of the women on the show are physicians, surgeons, in fact! The non-physicians are also "educated." Our "best" and "brightest" behaving this way! It certainly helps to reinforce prejudices and preconceived notions.
When I worked at a restaurant from 2010 to 2012, it was really eye-opening to how some of the people act and carry on here. It was like a microcosm of the city. I saw women carrying on like the people in this reality shows when I worked there.

The place I worked was constantly packed but by no stretch of the imagination was a high-end, but many of the customers carried on like it was and treated our staff like dirt more often than not. It is a popular, quick-service restaurant just a step above fast food yet these folks carried on line it was fine dining. I remember one young lady being on the phone and speaking in the most pretentious voice that she was eating at our restaurant like it was a big deal. That would happen a lot. It was just bizarre.

Unfortunately, the black customers were the worst (I am black by the way). These people would come in in their luxury vehicles, the women carrying their huge designer handbags and luxury car keys in hand, act a fool talking down to and cussing out staff and when it came time to pay for their food, they didn't have the money or their credit card would decline--and their meal was less than $10. A lot of these people were professionals, very well dressed in come in on their lunch breaks but would carry on like they had no class at all. They would also ask for water cups then steal soda and as a manager, when I'd tell them they have to pay for the drinks, they'd curse me out, call me all kinds of dirty names and tell me how stupid I was because I worked in a restaurant when they were the ones stealing. They'd steal bottle of hot sauce, grab the equivalent of a whole pack a of napkins and stick them in their purses, but you could not tell these people they weren't high class lol. It was nuts!

Morehouse and Spelman students used to come into the restaurant in groups often and I would hate to see them coming. They were always extremely loud, ghetto, obnoxious and would always leave the restaurant in a complete mess. I'd be left thinking, "And these are our elite and prestigious HBCU students carrying on like this?" I have met some of the most ghetto people here with college degrees who are professionals.

I'm definitely not saying this is all Atlantans because I know that's not the case, but I see this behavior here a lot so it's not hard to see these reality shows not being so far off from how people behave here. I see it all the time.

I went to the Buckhead Wendy's drive-thru one night and in front of me were two SUV limos full of black people. They were beyond rude and obnoxious holding up the line, blocking other cars from leaving the lot, getting out of the cars walking up to the drive-thru window to get more food while other customers were trying to order. And no it wasn't prom time. These were adults carrying on like this. I guess they thought because they were in limos that gave them the right to pretty much take over the drive-thru and be rude to everyone. I was so angry by their rudeness and the management not standing up to them that I got out of my car and said something to them. I was like "Look, if you were so damned important, you wouldn't be eating at Wendy's. Now stop being rude and get the hell out of the way so the rest of us can get our food and leave the parking lot!" They moved lol. I talked to one of the drivers and he was embarrassed. I also asked the managers why they were tolerating that.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
When I worked at a restaurant from 2010 to 2012, it was really eye-opening to how some of the people act and carry on here. It was like a microcosm of the city. I saw women carrying on like the people in this reality shows when I worked there.

The place I worked was constantly packed but by no stretch of the imagination was a high-end, but many of the customers carried on like it was and treated our staff like dirt more often than not. It is a popular, quick-service restaurant just a step above fast food yet these folks carried on line it was fine dining. I remember one young lady being on the phone and speaking in the most pretentious voice that she was eating at our restaurant like it was a big deal. That would happen a lot. It was just bizarre.

Unfortunately, the black customers were the worst (I am black by the way). These people would come in in their luxury vehicles, the women carrying their huge designer handbags and luxury car keys in hand, act a fool talking down to and cussing out staff and when it came time to pay for their food, they didn't have the money or their credit card would decline--and their meal was less than $10. A lot of these people were professionals, very well dressed in come in on their lunch breaks but would carry on like they had no class at all. They would also ask for water cups then steal soda and as a manager, when I'd tell them they have to pay for the drinks, they'd curse me out, call me all kinds of dirty names and tell me how stupid I was because I worked in a restaurant when they were the ones stealing. They'd steal bottle of hot sauce, grab the equivalent of a whole pack a of napkins and stick them in their purses, but you could not tell these people they weren't high class lol. It was nuts!

Morehouse and Spelman students used to come into the restaurant in groups often and I would hate to see them coming. They were always extremely loud, ghetto, obnoxious and would always leave the restaurant in a complete mess. I'd be left thinking, "And these are our elite and prestigious HBCU students carrying on like this?" I have met some of the most ghetto people here with college degrees who are professionals.

I'm definitely not saying this is all Atlantans because I know that's not the case, but I see this behavior here a lot so it's not hard to see these reality shows not being so far off from how people behave here. I see it all the time.

I went to the Buckhead Wendy's drive-thru one night and in front of me were two SUV limos full of black people. They were beyond rude and obnoxious holding up the line, blocking other cars from leaving the lot, getting out of the cars walking up to the drive-thru window to get more food while other customers were trying to order. And no it wasn't prom time. These were adults carrying on like this. I guess they thought because they were in limos that gave them the right to pretty much take over the drive-thru and be rude to everyone. I was so angry by their rudeness and the management not standing up to them that I got out of my car and said something to them. I was like "Look, if you were so damned important, you wouldn't be eating at Wendy's. Now stop being rude and get the hell out of the way so the rest of us can get our food and leave the parking lot!" They moved lol. I talked to one of the drivers and he was embarrassed. I also asked the managers why they were tolerating that.

I know what you say is true.I also worked in a restaurant as a server in the Cascade area back in the 90's.I saw that same behavior.Before that I had worked for that chain in my hometown of Warner Robins where I went back to college at nearby Fort Valley State University(also an HBCU).

In Warner Robins black people are fairly well off, educated.and normal.However when I was asked to go work in one of the sister stores in Macon 15 minutes North,near the Macon Mall that was the first time I saw the ghetto side of black people.To this day you just don't see that ghetto behavior among blacks where i'm from in South Georgia.
Just rude,rude rude.Even the employees were ratchet acting!.But I got some of my biggest tips there(even though it was not consistent).I was told more than once that my customer service was the best they had ever gotten at that restaurant. This was said by many of the black patrons and white patrons.

I can say that Atlanta does not have a monopoly on this behavior.I have family also from Philadelphia and Chicago.Some have moved here.The others I visit often in those cities.My cousins are so ghetto and loud!OMG!Not even funny if it were not so sad.

Funny thing is that their parents who were raised in the South are very proper and well mannered.You would never know that my aunts and uncles(well my aunts maybe not my Uncles)were even from the South.They were born in the most rural poverty stricken area in Georgia but they got there education and they are very well mannered and well spoken.Its there kids raised up there who are so ratchet acting.
When Im in Philly people look at me like Im so proper but I'm not.Im just low key and I just not agressive like so many up North.
I really believe that because Atlanta does get so many black people from everywhere,we get the best and worse from everywhere.
I know this is gonna cause a lot of people to not like what Im saying but a lot of these people acting this way are NOT from Atlanta. Dont get me wrong we have our own ghetto non-fabulous people but I think its worse from all the influx of people from some of even more cities with a high ghetto population.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,501,431 times
Quote:

......THE ATLANTA GEORGIA CULTURE...why do people get so offended? People are WHO they ARE here. You hit the NAIL Through the sheetrock.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,501,431 times
Quote:
I dig everything that you all are saying. However, the original post was about "Reality TV complex" and how it relates to Atlanta.

Despite the number of "successful" Black folk in Atlanta, this is what is projected to the world. Not by other folk in black face. This is us:

Some of the women on the show are physicians, surgeons, in fact! The non-physicians are also "educated." Our "best" and "brightest" behaving this way! It certainly helps to reinforce prejudices and preconceived notions.

I don't know how well these shows do in the ratings. However, I can assume that we are not the only people watching them.

I'm going to call the industry "Hollywood." Let's not get into physical locations. They do nothing by accident. We as residents of this country are fooled into believing that t.v. shows and movies are nothing more than entertainment. We couldn't be more wrong! We are being propagandized at every turn.

I have zero proof that these shows are aired in other countries. However, I would bet on it.

Some of you have mentioned other cities. This is not about city perceptions. You can toss Chicago and Detroit under a bus if it assuages your ego. This is about the perception of people. It's more acceptable to say that a place is this, that, or the third, than to say that people are this way or that way. Example, Mississippi (MS) is racist. MS can't be racist.
Question?

The two professional women in this video fighting they are married? in relationships?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,851,593 times
Quote:

The behavior is very annoying. I don't mind going out of my way to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know what you say is true.I also worked in a restaurant as a server in the Cascade area back in the 90's.I saw that same behavior.Before that I had worked for that chain in my hometown of Warner Robins where I went back to college at nearby Fort Valley State University(also an HBCU).

In Warner Robins black people are fairly well off, educated.and normal.However when I was asked to go work in one of the sister stores in Macon 15 minutes North,near the Macon Mall that was the first time I saw the ghetto side of black people.To this day you just don't see that ghetto behavior among blacks where i'm from in South Georgia.
Just rude,rude rude.Even the employees were ratchet acting!.But I got some of my biggest tips there(even though it was not consistent).I was told more than once that my customer service was the best they had ever gotten at that restaurant. This was said by many of the black patrons and white patrons.

I can say that Atlanta does not have a monopoly on this behavior.I have family also from Philadelphia and Chicago.Some have moved here.The others I visit often in those cities.My cousins are so ghetto and loud!OMG!Not even funny if it were not so sad.

Funny thing is that their parents who were raised in the South are very proper and well mannered.You would never know that my aunts and uncles(well my aunts maybe not my Uncles)were even from the South.They were born in the most rural poverty stricken area in Georgia but they got there education and they are very well mannered and well spoken.Its there kids raised up there who are so ratchet acting.
When Im in Philly people look at me like Im so proper but I'm not.Im just low key and I just not agressive like so many up North.
I really believe that because Atlanta does get so many black people from everywhere,we get the best and worse from everywhere.
I know this is gonna cause a lot of people to not like what Im saying but a lot of these people acting this way are NOT from Atlanta. Dont get me wrong we have our own ghetto non-fabulous people but I think its worse from all the influx of people from some of even more cities with a high ghetto population.
Absolutely not. That's why I say that these shows are not good for us, regardless of location. That said, we live in Atlanta. It certainly doesn't make me feel better to know that "Atlanta" doesn't have a monopoly on the behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Question?

The two professional women in this video fighting they are married? in relationships?
Yes, both are married to emergency room physicians.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The behavior is very annoying. I don't mind going out of my way to avoid it.

Absolutely not. That's why I say that these shows are not good for us, regardless of location. That said, we live in Atlanta. It certainly doesn't make me feel better to know that "Atlanta" doesn't have a monopoly on the behavior.

Yes, both are married to emergency room physicians.
Well I look at it this way:Black people are multi-dimensional.Atlanta of all places has that more than any other city where blacks reside in large numbers.

I associate with blacks that I greew up with in South Georgia as well as blacks from Atlanta.I can tell you there are plenty of blacks living here with a high degree of class and dignity.Its not an uncommon ocurrence at all. Unfortunately,those who act a fool stand out by their very nature of being obnoxious and rude.
Nobody remembers randon wellbehaved people because they are normal and don't stand out.

One other thing I'd like to add is that poverty in recent times has a lot to do with a lack of class.
You would never know that my mom or any of her sisters grew up in South Georgia to very poor parents on a farm with no indoor bathrooms.
13 brothers and sisters ,they all managed to graduate college except a set of twins that died at birth,and 2 of the oldest males who were both over 70 years old by the time they died,and one who had trouble with drug abuse.
Even my Uncle that had drug abuse(now clean for over 7 years),you would never had expected him of being anything but a Southern gentleman.(when he was not using).

Something happened now a days where as before if you knew you were poor,you had pride enough not to act like you were.So you tried harder to be and look respectable and dignified.
So when you did get a little money,you already were acting like you were worth millions.

Seems now people get money and they see ot as a license to act anyway they like.As if money gives you a right/Its the entitlement culture in America.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Another thing is that this is NOT systemic as it seems .At least as it is in the white community.
This video makes some good points.Even if it is the alter ego network of FOX news,which is MSNBC.
Dear White People: Could You Please Do Something About Your Scarier White People?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta