U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,350,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
The film industry in Atlanta is booming & a lot of times the city doesn't get the credit that it deserves as a great backdrop in some decent films/shows.
Actually, among other things like the tax breaks, they like Atlanta's generic look so it doesn't look any place in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
It would be nice if some of the movies being filmed here actually took place here. That will change things. I've been pondering the effect that film has on people in the way it sells places. It worked for California. Will it work here? Could we experience the same sort of boom California did long ago?

Maybe, maybe not, but if Georgia plays it's cards right at least people will stop making Deliverance references.
I wasn't kidding. They like Atlanta's generic look. Plus...I don't think Atlanta is "sexy" enough. It fits if its something like "Designing Women" when they want that Southern-ness.

I was talking to a television writer who was going to use Georgia Tech as the "hero" to save Atlanta from a "perfect storm" traffic jam. But I thought the subjects weren't "sexy" enough. Boston and MIT or Harvard, San Francisco and Stanford or Berkeley, or even LA with USC or UCLA are "sexier".

Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,422,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
As it relates to emotional/mental complexes. I only see this theme on THIS forum.

As much as I enjoy this forum, there is a extreme complex that runs heavy on this forum. What am I talking about?

Reality TV complex. I was reading the thread as it relates to the new show that is being filmed in Atlanta and I've read some of the replies such as: "those shows make us(Atlanta) look like fools", "the shows don't represent Atlanta", "If the Hosuewives were a representation of Atlanta, I would have moved there"...etc...I've read those same replies on other such threads.

There have been TONS of shows filmed in Chicago, New York and L.A. but when I visit those forums I hear of no one making such a big deal of all of the "grity" cop shows that get filmed in those cities. I haven't read anything about how "Breaking Bad" is making Mexico look bad.

I only see this on this very forum. Does it come from personal dislike of self or something else. I hate to say it but there are a lot of people of this board that are hateful towards this city in ways that seem unnatural.

Where does this complex come from?
I don't know a lot about the "reality" shows/ t.v. shows that are filmed in Atlanta. I am aware of the female doctor show, the housewives, shorty lo, the strip club show, and The Walking Dead. I know of these shows vicariously via Tommy Sotomayor. With the exception of the latter, these shows are dangerous! Dangerous to Black folk, wherever we exist! Not just Atlanta. If these shows do not help to foster harmony amongst us, they are dangerous. I couldn't care less how these shows make Atlanta look to Atlantans or to others. I do care about how they make us look. You can wish, pretend, pray, fantasize, and philosophize about why it shouldn't be this way. It is!

I can recall when The Cosby's Show the zenith of television! When it went off of the air, we wanted a quality replacement or nothing at all! There was a time when it was not enough just to see us (Black folk) on t.v. We wanted quality! Now, we just want to see us. Doesn't matter if it makes Black men, women, and children look like animals! Quietly, there are some reading this thinking: you are animals! "I try to argue, but check it, every night in the news, we prove these suckas right, and I got the blues" (We're All in the Same Gang, Humpty's verse).

Deny this if you want to: IMAGES SHAPE OUR REALITY. We have degenerated so far that we love seeing us behave in a ratchet way. I can recall when the only people that had a "sleeve" of tattoos were filthy bikers. These people were viewed as the bottom of society. Do we really aspire to the bottom?

I used like Family Matters. We all dug the sistas on that show. What about the Erkel character? Were they trying to say that to be Black and genius is to be Erkel? Why not allow him to be genius and handsome?

If you think that the images of black folk on t.v. are good, I digress. There is nothing that I can say to get you to see the danger of the images.

Breaking Bad?! Please stop kidding yourself! If there was no mention of the Albuquerque PD, we wouldn't know that the show was in Albuquerque, NM. That said, Breaking Bad is great drama! As is The Walking Dead! Dexter is a great drama. WE KNOW that it's drama. True Blood is arguably my favorite t.v show of all time! Why? It's great drama. We know that is is fantasy. Is shorty lo fantasy? Please do not tell me that the show was cancelled. You may choose not to. However, you know what I'm saying.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,926,370 times
Atlanta forum is probably the most interesting city forum on this website. Seriously, I occasionally go to forums like Houston, Dallas, NYC, Philly, etc and it's boring. I look back at the Atlanta forum and realize we actually have interesting topics.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,891,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta forum is probably the most interesting city forum on this website. Seriously, I occasionally go to forums like Houston, Dallas, NYC, Philly, etc and it's boring. I look back at the Atlanta forum and realize we actually have interesting topics.
"Atlanta is mecca," Bravo Media senior vp current production Shari Levine tells The Hollywood Reporter. "There is so much personality to that city, and the people really reflect that."

WOW! Do you think both ANT and BRAVO are onto the same thing? Are Atlantans (and Georgians) REALLY that much more interesting than the average American? If so, that's something to really feel good about when you think on it. Southerners as a whole have always been great fodder for literature, song, and film. Maybe there IS more to this "Hollywood South" thing than just tax breaks and generic landscapes. For years, television has portrayed the people, places and images of Southern California and New York as "ideal" and everything in between as "meh." Finally, they've discovered the SOUTH, and Atlanta and Georgia in particular. Maybe this IS our moment to shine! Maybe this IS something to celebrate!

"We're ready for our close-ups, Mr. DeMille!" But please ... try to get our personality right!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:34 AM

423 posts, read 606,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
"Atlanta is mecca," Bravo Media senior vp current production Shari Levine tells The Hollywood Reporter. "There is so much personality to that city, and the people really reflect that."

WOW! Do you think both ANT and BRAVO are onto the same thing? Are Atlantans (and Georgians) REALLY that much more interesting than the average American? If so, that's something to really feel good about when you think on it. Southerners as a whole have always been great fodder for literature, song, and film. Maybe there IS more to this "Hollywood South" thing than just tax breaks and generic landscapes. For years, television has portrayed the people, places and images of Southern California and New York as "ideal" and everything in between as "meh." Finally, they've discovered the SOUTH, and Atlanta and Georgia in particular. Maybe this IS our moment to shine! Maybe this IS something to celebrate!

"We're ready for our close-ups, Mr. DeMille!" But please ... try to get our personality right!
Aren't in Savannah?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM

62 posts, read 61,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
As it relates to emotional/mental complexes. I only see this theme on THIS forum.

Reality TV complex. I was reading the thread as it relates to the new show that is being filmed in Atlanta and I've read some of the replies such as: "those shows make us(Atlanta) look like fools", "the shows don't represent Atlanta", "If the Hosuewives were a representation of Atlanta, I would have moved there"...etc...I've read those same replies on other such threads.

There have been TONS of shows filmed in Chicago, New York and L.A. but when I visit those forums I hear of no one making such a big deal of all of the "grity" cop shows that get filmed in those cities. I haven't read anything about how "Breaking Bad" is making Mexico look bad.
Unless I am missing something, you answered your own question; the "reality" shows filmed here are supposed to pass for actual personalities of our population and city. I suspect the reality is that the shows are thoroughly scripted with a bunch of vapid dolts finding controversy in a manicure, ex-boyfriend, a club opening, yawn, yawn....or at least that's my understanding/perception - I cannot seem to stay in the room longer than 90 seconds if my wife is watching Bravo. I resent these representations of my city.

The grity cop shows, Breaking Bad, Nip/Tuck and whatever else paints a bleak picture of a city are fiction with some roots in reality.

Although, Baltimore may have a gripe with "The Wire" because it was extra bleak, but extra awesome...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,555 posts, read 2,242,469 times
Since I'm a New Yorker, I'll chime in:

- New Yorkers do gripe about young people moving here with no degree and little cash who think they can live a "Sex in the City lifestyle." That term is used quite a bit in the NYC forum.

- Atlanta is still growing, and it seems is still searching for it's national (and international) perception. Most people aren't aware of the growing film scene there, for instance. Most black folks, for instance, only think Tyler Perry is down there.

- To piggyback the previous point, because of this, I can imagine many ATL folks are concerned that these reality shows will give the metro a bad rap for being superficial and unintelligent. NYC, LA, and CHI can suffer this blow because they already have longstanding, solidified perceptions, so one or two bad shows won't ruin it. As great a city at ATL is, it still seems to be forming it's image, and shows like this probably to take a blow to the hard work so many others are doing down there.

That's my guess

Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,626,024 times
Default Thank you for acknowleding the elephant in the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I don't know a lot about the "reality" shows/ t.v. shows that are filmed in Atlanta. I am aware of the female doctor show, the housewives, shorty lo, the strip club show, and The Walking Dead. I know of these shows vicariously via Tommy Sotomayor. With the exception of the latter, these shows are dangerous! Dangerous to Black folk, wherever we exist! Not just Atlanta. If these shows do not help to foster harmony amongst us, they are dangerous. I couldn't care less how these shows make Atlanta look to Atlantans or to others. I do care about how they make us look. You can wish, pretend, pray, fantasize, and philosophize about why it shouldn't be this way. It is!

I can recall when The Cosby's Show the zenith of television! When it went off of the air, we wanted a quality replacement or nothing at all! There was a time when it was not enough just to see us (Black folk) on t.v. We wanted quality! Now, we just want to see us. Doesn't matter if it makes Black men, women, and children look like animals! Quietly, there are some reading this thinking: you are animals! "I try to argue, but check it, every night in the news, we prove these suckas right, and I got the blues" (We're All in the Same Gang, Humpty's verse).

Deny this if you want to: IMAGES SHAPE OUR REALITY. We have degenerated so far that we love seeing us behave in a ratchet way. I can recall when the only people that had a "sleeve" of tattoos were filthy bikers. These people were viewed as the bottom of society. Do we really aspire to the bottom?

I used like Family Matters. We all dug the sistas on that show. What about the Erkel character? Were they trying to say that to be Black and genius is to be Erkel? Why not allow him to be genius and handsome?

If you think that the images of black folk on t.v. are good, I digress. There is nothing that I can say to get you to see the danger of the images.

Breaking Bad?! Please stop kidding yourself! If there was no mention of the Albuquerque PD, we wouldn't know that the show was in Albuquerque, NM. That said, Breaking Bad is great drama! As is The Walking Dead! Dexter is a great drama. WE KNOW that it's drama. True Blood is arguably my favorite t.v show of all time! Why? It's great drama. We know that is is fantasy. Is shorty lo fantasy? Please do not tell me that the show was cancelled. You may choose not to. However, you know what I'm saying.
I personally think the reality shows they broadcast as from ATL makes the city look like it's full of blacks. Here lately all I see are posts from blacks wanting to come to the new Black Mecca. Nothing wrong with that, but those shows to not necessarily portray blacks in a good light, IMHO.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,891,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I personally think the reality shows they broadcast as from ATL makes the city look like it's full of blacks. Here lately all I see are posts from blacks wanting to come to the new Black Mecca. Nothing wrong with that, but those shows to not necessarily portray blacks in a good light, IMHO.
Well ... there are / have been numerous Atlanta-based reality shows that are NOT about black people:

-- Double Divas
-- Big, Rich Atlanta
-- Honey Boo-Boo
-- Secret Princes
-- Tardy for the Party
-- Pretty Wicked Moms
(Just to name a few)

For whatever reasons, the ones about outrageous black people are the only ones that seem to make a dent on the national radar (and which people remember).

I, too, am getting weary of the "black mecca" label. It makes Atlanta seem so one-dimensional, when we all know it offers so much more than that. Bravo is not doing Atlanta any favors in that regard. On the other hand, Hollywood has never portrayed Southern California in an accurate light anyway, so what should we expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or