Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I personally think the reality shows they broadcast as from ATL makes the city look like it's full of blacks. Here lately all I see are posts from blacks wanting to come to the new Black Mecca. Nothing wrong with that, but those shows to not necessarily portray blacks in a good light, IMHO.
I can tell you that, up here at least, Atlanta has been considered a black mecca way before those shows went on the air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,120 times
Atlanta will be seen as Ratchet and Ghetto.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
"Atlanta is mecca," Bravo Media senior vp current production Shari Levine tells The Hollywood Reporter. "There is so much personality to that city, and the people really reflect that."

WOW! Do you think both ANT and BRAVO are onto the same thing? Are Atlantans (and Georgians) REALLY that much more interesting than the average American? If so, that's something to really feel good about when you think on it. Southerners as a whole have always been great fodder for literature, song, and film. Maybe there IS more to this "Hollywood South" thing than just tax breaks and generic landscapes. For years, television has portrayed the people, places and images of Southern California and New York as "ideal" and everything in between as "meh." Finally, they've discovered the SOUTH, and Atlanta and Georgia in particular. Maybe this IS our moment to shine! Maybe this IS something to celebrate!

"We're ready for our close-ups, Mr. DeMille!" But please ... try to get our personality right!
But I don't think Hollywood is interested in Atlanta as being Atlanta. Just a stand in...and the tax breaks.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
It would be nice if some of the movies being filmed here actually took place here. That will change things. I've been pondering the effect that film has on people in the way it sells places. It worked for California. Will it work here? Could we experience the same sort of boom California did long ago?

Maybe, maybe not, but if Georgia plays it's cards right at least people will stop making Deliverance references.
Actually I remember reading an article not too long ago saying how Atlanta IS finally becoming a backdrop for movies.A lot has to do with its lessening Southern identity and more of a city that has become more cosmopolitan.
I have seen a few movies mention Atlanta in the backdrop recently.One was Idenity Crisis.Another was "Zombieland"

Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Actually, among other things like the tax breaks, they like Atlanta's generic look so it doesn't look any place in particular.
Another reason: favorable weather.

The exception to this, obviously, would be July 2013.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Another reason: favorable weather.

The exception to this, obviously, would be July 2013.
I believe I saw the filming crew for the new "Noah's Ark" in Midtown during July...

Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I personally think the reality shows they broadcast as from ATL makes the city look like it's full of blacks. Here lately all I see are posts from blacks wanting to come to the new Black Mecca. Nothing wrong with that, but those shows to not necessarily portray blacks in a good light, IMHO.

Sort of like Seinfeld and Friends making NYC look full of whites?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I only see this on this very forum. Does it come from personal dislike of self or something else. I hate to say it but there are a lot of people of this board that are hateful towards this city in ways that seem unnatural.
I think people have a overly love to the city, in a a sports fanatic way which is unnatural.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Sort of like Seinfeld and Friends making NYC look full of whites?
HI-Five to you on that one!LOL.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I don't know a lot about the "reality" shows/ t.v. shows that are filmed in Atlanta. I am aware of the female doctor show, the housewives, shorty lo, the strip club show, and The Walking Dead. I know of these shows vicariously via Tommy Sotomayor. With the exception of the latter, these shows are dangerous! Dangerous to Black folk, wherever we exist! Not just Atlanta. If these shows do not help to foster harmony amongst us, they are dangerous. I couldn't care less how these shows make Atlanta look to Atlantans or to others. I do care about how they make us look. You can wish, pretend, pray, fantasize, and philosophize about why it shouldn't be this way. It is!

I can recall when The Cosby's Show the zenith of television! When it went off of the air, we wanted a quality replacement or nothing at all! There was a time when it was not enough just to see us (Black folk) on t.v. We wanted quality! Now, we just want to see us. Doesn't matter if it makes Black men, women, and children look like animals! Quietly, there are some reading this thinking: you are animals! "I try to argue, but check it, every night in the news, we prove these suckas right, and I got the blues" (We're All in the Same Gang, Humpty's verse).

Deny this if you want to: IMAGES SHAPE OUR REALITY. We have degenerated so far that we love seeing us behave in a ratchet way. I can recall when the only people that had a "sleeve" of tattoos were filthy bikers. These people were viewed as the bottom of society. Do we really aspire to the bottom?

I used like Family Matters. We all dug the sistas on that show. What about the Erkel character? Were they trying to say that to be Black and genius is to be Erkel? Why not allow him to be genius and handsome?

If you think that the images of black folk on t.v. are good, I digress. There is nothing that I can say to get you to see the danger of the images.

Breaking Bad?! Please stop kidding yourself! If there was no mention of the Albuquerque PD, we wouldn't know that the show was in Albuquerque, NM. That said, Breaking Bad is great drama! As is The Walking Dead! Dexter is a great drama. WE KNOW that it's drama. True Blood is arguably my favorite t.v show of all time! Why? It's great drama. We know that is is fantasy. Is shorty lo fantasy? Please do not tell me that the show was cancelled. You may choose not to. However, you know what I'm saying.
I don't disagree that these negative images shape reality of what some people think but I DO think its absolutely ludicrous that we should expect that or even deny that there are real life charaters like those shown on T.V. within the black community.
People who choose ton allow T.V. to shape and guide their opinions and moral behavior,really do not need T.V. shows to help them come to that conclusion.Those that do ,are just looking for an excuse to justify their actions or thoughts about what other races are like.

I used to care a lot about how I was viewd as a black man because I lnow that their are plenty of people that have negative views of blacks so they looked at me,As a result all my life I have been told by so many whites that "you are so different than other blacks or you're not really black.
So insulting! Of course nowadays I really could care less because of what I said earlier.

Personally I think these images just show people.People from different lifestyles. Im just glad they don't show images of blacks living in poverty in the ghettos.At least they show the ones with money.Sure they act ignorant but in the back of people mind is that they cant be too ignorant of they knew how to get PAID.

BTW Erkel had Stephan.His smooth handsome alter ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta