U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,450,985 times

Advertisements

As it relates to emotional/mental complexes. I only see this theme on THIS forum.

As much as I enjoy this forum, there is a extreme complex that runs heavy on this forum. What am I talking about?

Reality TV complex. I was reading the thread as it relates to the new show that is being filmed in Atlanta and I've read some of the replies such as: "those shows make us(Atlanta) look like fools", "the shows don't represent Atlanta", "If the Hosuewives were a representation of Atlanta, I would have moved there"...etc...I've read those same replies on other such threads.

There have been TONS of shows filmed in Chicago, New York and L.A. but when I visit those forums I hear of no one making such a big deal of all of the "grity" cop shows that get filmed in those cities. I haven't read anything about how "Breaking Bad" is making Mexico look bad.

I only see this on this very forum. Does it come from personal dislike of self or something else. I hate to say it but there are a lot of people of this board that are hateful towards this city in ways that seem unnatural.

Where does this complex come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,010,663 times
Maybe because people tend to apply stereotypes to Atlanta one at a time. Unlike New York or LA where worldwide, people know they have different areas, everyone and everything near Atlanta seems to get lumped together and people will get the wrong idea pretty quickly. It's probably due to people still thinking of all of Georgia as "a bunch of peanut farmers" and not recognizing how big Atlanta itself is.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,351,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
As it relates to emotional/mental complexes. I only see this theme on THIS forum.

As much as I enjoy this forum, there is a extreme complex that runs heavy on this forum. What am I talking about?

Reality TV complex. I was reading the thread as it relates to the new show that is being filmed in Atlanta and I've read some of the replies such as: "those shows make us(Atlanta) look like fools", "the shows don't represent Atlanta", "If the Hosuewives were a representation of Atlanta, I would have moved there"...etc...I've read those same replies on other such threads.

There have been TONS of shows filmed in Chicago, New York and L.A. but when I visit those forums I hear of no one making such a big deal of all of the "grity" cop shows that get filmed in those cities. I haven't read anything about how "Breaking Bad" is making Mexico look bad.

I only see this on this very forum. Does it come from personal dislike of self or something else. I hate to say it but there are a lot of people of this board that are hateful towards this city in ways that seem unnatural.

Where does this complex come from?
Because Chicago, New York, and LA are used to it and it would be overwhelming for them to take the time to complain about all of it. It's somewhat new for Atlanta. But maybe you're right...we should all take a more positive view of stuff like "Honey Boo Boo". Bet Alabama is soooo jealous of us.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,129,198 times
Because stupid people will believe that those shows represents the entire city

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 08-05-2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 07:32 PM

246 posts, read 304,008 times
If I read your post correctly, you are comparing apples to jet skis. Atlanta people complain about REALITY shows like Honey Boo Boo & Real Housewives because they set the perception of Atlanta being something it isn't. Your comparison to NYC & Chicago & their "gritty" SCRIPTED cop shows is not apt. No one really looks at a Breaking Bad & thinks "Every chemistry teacher in Arizona is a meth cook" but people will look at "reality" TV & make an immediate association with what they believe to be true reality...mainly because most people are stupid & think reality TV is real.

The film industry in Atlanta is booming & a lot of times the city doesn't get the credit that it deserves as a great backdrop in some decent films/shows.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,894,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawjr View Post
if i read your post correctly, you are comparing apples to jet skis. Atlanta people complain about reality shows like honey boo boo & real housewives because they set the perception of atlanta being something it isn't. Your comparison to nyc & chicago & their "gritty" scripted cop shows is not apt. No one really looks at a breaking bad & thinks "every chemistry teacher in arizona is a meth cook" but [b][color="red"]people will look at "reality" tv & make an immediate association with what they believe to be true reality...mainly because most people are stupid & think reality tv is real.

the film industry in atlanta is booming & a lot of times the city doesn't get the credit that it deserves as a great backdrop in some decent films/shows.
^^^ this ^^^

Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,735,078 times
It would be nice if some of the movies being filmed here actually took place here. That will change things. I've been pondering the effect that film has on people in the way it sells places. It worked for California. Will it work here? Could we experience the same sort of boom California did long ago?

Maybe, maybe not, but if Georgia plays it's cards right at least people will stop making Deliverance references.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Bet Alabama is soooo jealous of us.
Huh?

Why would we be jealous of Atlanta?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM

29,754 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
If I read your post correctly, you are comparing apples to jet skis. Atlanta people complain about REALITY shows like Honey Boo Boo & Real Housewives because they set the perception of Atlanta being something it isn't. Your comparison to NYC & Chicago & their "gritty" SCRIPTED cop shows is not apt. No one really looks at a Breaking Bad & thinks "Every chemistry teacher in Arizona is a meth cook" but people will look at "reality" TV & make an immediate association with what they believe to be true reality...mainly because most people are stupid & think reality TV is real.

The film industry in Atlanta is booming & a lot of times the city doesn't get the credit that it deserves as a great backdrop in some decent films/shows.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
It would be nice if some of the movies being filmed here actually took place here. That will change things. I've been pondering the effect that film has on people in the way it sells places. It worked for California. Will it work here? Could we experience the same sort of boom California did long ago?

Maybe, maybe not, but if Georgia plays it's cards right at least people will stop making Deliverance references.
People actually make "Deliverance" references these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty25 View Post
Huh?

Well for several reasons, but that comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,129,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty25 View Post
Huh?

Why? Ask all the trolls who come in our forum daily bashing the city. You do not see those same people bashing in the Minot, ND forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or