Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times

Advertisements

Where would be a good Suburban location for the Stadium???

Gwinnett?
Near Mall of Georgia?
Near Discover Mills (Or Sugarloaf or whatever they call it now)?
Near the Gwinnett Performing Arts Center?
Duluth?

Cobb?
Cumberland Area (I CAN see it going over there off of Cumberland Blvd. BUT there's no MARTA)?

Sandy Springs?
Perimeter area? Where?

In town?
Buckhead? That MIGHT work... And there's MARTA
Lakewood?

DeKalb?
Downtown Decatur? Where?
Avondale Estates?
Near Stonecrest Mall in Lithonia?
Stone Mountain?

Where??? Where is a good location for people in Atlanta to get to in the Suburbs?

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 08-12-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Where would be a good Suburban location for the Stadium???

Gwinnett?
Near Mall of Georgia?
Near Discover Mills (Or Sugarloaf or whatever they call it now)?
Near the Gwinnett Performing Arts Center?
Duluth?

Cobb?
Cumberland Area (I CAN see it going over there off of Cumberland Blvd. BUT there's no MARTA)?

Sandy Springs?
Perimeter area? Where?

In town?
Buckhead? That MIGHT work... And there's MARTA
Lakewood?

DeKalb?
Downtown Decatur? Where?
Avondale Estates?
Near Stonecrest Mall in Lithonia?
Stone Mountain?

Where??? Where is a good location for people in Atlanta to get to in the Suburbs?
Honestly I would be ok if they built a stadium next to the Arena at Gwinnett Center. There is plenty land around the property and it would make a huge case for finally expanding MARTA heavy rail into Gwinnett County which would be huge for the area.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
*sigh* Why do people always think MARTA Heavy rail is going to go way out into the suburbs? Along places that don't have existing trackage, it makes sense like GA-400 and I-20 East, and to an extent I-20 West, but for something all the way to Gwinnett Center, Commuter Rail is far superior in every way. You'd need to run buses from a Duluth station, or have some kind of local light-rail, but there is no way Atlanta is building Heavy Rail 30 miles out from Atlanta right next to a perfectly good railroad. If Atlanta had commuter rail, or part of the stadium deal in the suburbs would be for the Falcons to fund commuter rail, it might work, but that's it.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Tampas stadium is not in a suburb, its in the city of Tampa.
I know. But I created the exception--"In a suburban city, or in a part of the listed city with density low enough to qualify as suburban (subjective--to be continued)"--before I found out where Raymond James stadium was. (For some reason I had thought it was in the middle of town.)

If you still don't buy it, just do a google maps search for it. The only thing that prevents calling the immediate surroundings a "suburb" is the fact that it's in the city of Tampa.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
*sigh* Why do people always think MARTA Heavy rail is going to go way out into the suburbs? Along places that don't have existing trackage, it makes sense like GA-400 and I-20 East, and to an extent I-20 West, but for something all the way to Gwinnett Center, Commuter Rail is far superior in every way. You'd need to run buses from a Duluth station, or have some kind of local light-rail, but there is no way Atlanta is building Heavy Rail 30 miles out from Atlanta right next to a perfectly good railroad. If Atlanta had commuter rail, or part of the stadium deal in the suburbs would be for the Falcons to fund commuter rail, it might work, but that's it.
I'm a bit confused by this for several reasons...

You do realize the I-85 corridor going north has more people and more jobs than the GA 400 corridor going north and certainly far far more than I-20 either direction? I fail to see why those corridors are... umm special?

The complete plan for GA 400, not that it will ever happen, is about 30 miles out from Five Points.

Going Northeast is also only about 12 more miles of track than already exists.

Beyond that the differences between Commuter rail, HRT, and LRT have more to do with zoning and uses.

The corridor along I-85 has more mixed uses and is not typical suburban to start with, neither is the current planning for the corridor.

Now admittedly, I prefer the Concept 3 plan. I think there should be small HRT extension to Norcross for a better transfer station and an LRT line in Gwinnett that would travel to Cobb and can interlink with an LRT going north of Perimeter in a continuous manner, but that is a conversation for another thread.

But I'm baffled mainly by your comparisons of the 4 different corridors.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Honestly I would be ok if they built a stadium next to the Arena at Gwinnett Center. There is plenty land around the property and it would make a huge case for finally expanding MARTA heavy rail into Gwinnett County which would be huge for the area.
The problem I see is that area handles traffic well for the arena, relatively speaking. I don't think it is ready to handle 4-5 times more traffic on gamedays.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 PM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What is so hard about transferring to a bus? It makes no sense to spend hundreds of millions of public dollars to build rail-based transit to a privately owned sports team that is only operating at least 81 times a year.
I like the ideas of transforming the parking lots
You and I agree on thinking there is nothing hard about transferring to a bus. Unfortunately, most Americans have a negative stigma about buses. If we can change the "riding buses is for poor people" mentality, we may solve more transportation problems as a society.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
If we can change the "riding buses is for poor people" mentality, we may solve more transportation problems as a society.
I don't think that's it...

I remember the days of living in Atlanta without a car and relying on MARTA...

:: sums up my memories of those days... It had nothing to do with a "stigma" of being poor. Just that bus transportation to some people (cause I assume that if I feel a certain way, I can NOT be the only one alive that feels that way) feel so annoyed by riding buses cause it just feels SOOOOO SLOW and like an added hassle.
There's a total different feeling when stepping on to a train.

But getting on a bus, especially when you have things to carry, just feels SO annoying. I'd so rather just park at a park & ride, or walk to the nearest station than ride a bus to a station or most places for that matter.

I personally don't like driving and I don't like riding buses. I don't mind Megabus going from 2 cities not TOO far away, like I choose Megabus between DC & NYC. But just to ride it around town for some reason just feels annoying

Old 08-15-2013, 11:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
I don't think that's it...
No that's exactly what it is, especially here in the South. There was a time when people of all races round buses, but then something changed in the public's perception of buses.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No that's exactly what it is, especially here in the South. There was a time when people of all races round buses, but then something changed in the public's perception of buses.
Well, that can't speak for everyone. That's not why I don't like riding buses.
They just feel slow and like a hassle. I have to assume that I can't be the ONLY person feeling that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta