Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this fair?
yes 20 57.14%
no. 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 PM

37,794 posts, read 41,479,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well, the latest report says that he's back on the list, so the PC crowd can stop hyperventilating.
"PC crowd can stop hyperventilating"...all because we believe that the issues surrounding this child's condition rest squarely on his parents' shoulders and not his own and that he shouldn't have to suffer due to that?

In that case, I wear my PC badge with honor and dignity.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:19 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,715,682 times
This thread is kind of depressing... Mainly because of the comments that some people post. They are so appalling...

The original story saying (he was refused a heart because of failure to comply) = Fine... Makes sense if he has a history of not complying with doctor order...

Then it gets bad... They mention he "has bad grades and trouble with the law..." = Media sensationalism. Expected but sad.

BUT THEN IT GETS SICK... People actually start to comment and believe he doesn't deserve a heart and want to point out "history with the law and bad grades" as reasons to assume he'd be no good when he's an adult and pretty much, would do America better if he were dead... Now THAT'S just sickening.

Then comes in the race issue... Anyone who DOESN'T think that race is still a HUGE issue in America is a clear idiot. HOWEVER, THIS story is CLEARLY not about race. That is media magic at work trying to get people riled up to make a story. They will conveniently leave out the MAJOR KEY POINT that he already had a heart to make it sound like the doctors simply refused a heart to some black kid... Shame on them.
Race IS a huge issue in America, however race is not nearly always the issue. Not the case half or more of the time...

Now, at the same time, for someone to simply proclaim that he doesn't deserve the heart and in their post about him not deserving it, ONLY bring up the "grades" and "law" issues as the reasons why, and to assume that "people like this" will grow to be violent is SO APPALLING and RIDICULOUS that I can not blame someone for listening to that and concluding that "those reasons are SO STUPID that it MUST be race... Cause really, nobody really believes THAT is a good enough reason to deny a CHILD life..." I can see that.
I can understand people enough to see that sometimes when people bring up race, they are not trying to say the "situation" is BECAUSE of race, but the "public justification" and "reaction" often boils down to public prejudgments...

Next, the second link is posted giving the doctor's reasons. So now we know he had already had a heart transplant before and wasn't compliant. Now, THAT makes sense as a reason to deny a SECOND heart. The kid @#%$'d up. BUT, this news of the real reasons do not support the prior claims that he didn't deserve a heart in relation to the perceived type of person he was (AT 15!!!!!) based on grades and legal troubles. Nor does it excuse those judgments.

You can't take 3 paragraphs and a picture and figure you KNOW someone enough to say someone doesn't deserve life. You have NO IDEA what that person has been through, is going through and/or has to deal with in life... Sometimes, (especially at 15) a young teen can suffer depression, which could lead to things like bad grades... Here's a thought, well the kid was dying before and had to have a heart transplant... I'd say that is a @#%@ serious thought to have to deal with BEFORE 15 (of I'm dying and need a heart) that COULD be a major reason why grades would suffer, and even behavior problems that will lead to issues with the law... There could be any number of reasons. And none of them have to mean he has a 99% chance of becoming a violent adult. Who you are at 15, 16, etc... has NOTHING to do with the type of person you will be as an adult.
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: