Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Starting salaries for new lawyers in the city's most prestigious and profitable firms can be north of $150,000 per year... Ridiculous, I think.
AnsleyPark,

I know nothing about law degree. A law degree to me is risky as most of graduates cannot find a law-related job. So, if you times the starting salary with the probablity of getting a high paying job, the number may not be that ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
Well when you have millions of people piling into a one state...yes you are going to have problems. My friend has been living in Atlanta forever but she was laid off because her company relocated to another state. She cannot find a job and is considering relocating because of it.

I remember back in the 90's it was sooooo easy to get a job in Atlanta...they were actually knocking at your door..but since you New Yorkians, Californians, Chicagoians...etc bomborded Atlanta well that's ancient history.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Well when you have millions of people piling into a one state...yes you are going to have problems. My friend has been living in Atlanta forever but she was laid off because her company relocated to another state. She cannot find a job and is considering relocating because of it.

I remember back in the 90's it was sooooo easy to get a job in Atlanta...they were actually knocking at your door..but since you New Yorkians, Californians, Chicagoians...etc bomborded Atlanta well that's ancient history.
Uhhh, they were bombarding Atlanta back then too. You think all those jobs were being created in Atlanta due to high levels of natural population increase alone?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
To the OP,

Here's a link to the Georgia Department of Labor's pamphlet, "Georgia Jobs 2012-2013: Short-term Employment Projections -- Jobs expected to be in highest demand of the next two years."

It is in PDF form (I printed one out for myself). According to GA DOL there are/will be openings in numbers of up to four figures in food service, office support and retail sector positions, while there will be less openings for professional or highly skilled positions that require degrees (i.e. there will be 5,900 new positions in food services versus 140 new positions for lawyers).

Even where openings for service positions didn't reach four figures, there were/are still more positions opening up in those areas than for highly-skilled or degreed positions (i.e. there will be 920 new customer service positions versus 100 new pharmacist positions or 360 new positions for accountants).

So based on this information from the GA DOL, the reason why it appears to be that many educated people are in low-wage jobs or are unable to find work, it's because there are just too few positions available for people with degrees versus the number of service positions that are available. And if you can't find a job in your field, you will take whatever you can get to have an income--and that means working service jobs with a degree.

The annual openings for service positions are significantly higher than professional positions--by hundreds or thousands.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 PM

421 posts, read 749,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
To the OP,

Here's a link to the Georgia Department of Labor's pamphlet, "Georgia Jobs 2012-2013: Short-term Employment Projections -- Jobs expected to be in highest demand of the next two years."

It is in PDF form (I printed one out for myself). According to GA DOL there are/will be openings in numbers of up to four figures in food service, office support and retail sector positions, while there will be less openings for professional or highly skilled positions that require degrees (i.e. there will be 5,900 new positions in food services versus 140 new positions for lawyers).

Even where openings for service positions didn't reach four figures, there were/are still more positions opening up in those areas than for highly-skilled or degreed positions (i.e. there will be 920 new customer service positions versus 100 new pharmacist positions or 360 new positions for accountants).

So based on this information from the GA DOL, the reason why it appears to be that many educated people are in low-wage jobs or are unable to find work, it's because there are just too few positions available for people with degrees versus the number of service positions that are available. And if you can't find a job in your field, you will take whatever you can get to have an income--and that means working service jobs with a degree.

The annual openings for service positions are significantly higher than professional positions--by hundreds or thousands.

Illinois unemployment rate ticks up in July despite job growth - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
The trend of increasing financial woes, dating back to the recession that began in late 2007, also includes a shrinking paycheck for those who are employed as people who were laid off from white-collar jobs take lower-paying work where they can get it. Last year the median household income in Chicago was $43,628 — $4,000 less than in 2009 and part of a steady decline over the past three years, the census figures show.

"The low-paying sectors are growing," while higher-paying industries continue to shed jobs, said Sheldon Danzinger, a University of Michigan economist who has written extensively about poverty trends. "Service, retail, food. They don't pay very high wages. That's a reason why a lot of working people are getting food stamps."
Illinois sees more people living in poverty - Chicago Tribune

Old 08-20-2013, 02:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Every city seems to have its share of unemployed individuals, however, Atlanta appears to have a high number of unemployed or underemployed individuals throughout the metro area.

Are there simply not enough professional jobs in the Atlanta metro region for the highly educated labor force?
It depends on what race you ask, gender also comes into play. I would say yes many are underemployed. I think the only thing keeping an educated person UNemployed is pride, but thats another thread.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:02 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Varied fields: accounting, project management, law, IT off the top of my head. By the same token those who are making good salaries think it's a free for all for everyone else here.
Its funny to read the "I got it made" post on the tread, with that "its your fault I got hired and you didnt attitude" Its an educational read no doubt.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
It depends on what race you ask, gender also comes into play. I would say yes many are underemployed. I think the only thing keeping an educated person UNemployed is pride, but thats another thread.
According to the GA DOL there are way more service jobs than professional jobs available or being created. Significantly more. So it makes sense that those with degrees are filling those service positions because you gotta make a living, you know?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 PM

421 posts, read 749,660 times
Quote:
According to the GA DOL there are way more service jobs than professional jobs available or being created. Significantly more. So it makes sense that those with degrees are filling those service positions because you gotta make a living, you know?
Can you post an article of a city where professional job are more plentiful and growing more then service jobs?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Can you post an article of a city where professional job are more plentiful and growing more then service jobs?
I think the suggestion was that its skewed much more towards service than professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta