U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 PM
 
30,583 posts, read 29,102,348 times
Reputation: 11437

Advertisements

Good news or bad news, depending on your point of view.

According to the Cato Institute, the value of Georgia's welfare package ranks as the 42d lowest among the states.

A Georgia family (mom and two kids) would have to earn $19,797 in pretax dollars to equal their average benefits. By comparison, the benefits package in North Carolina is worth $28,142 in pretax earnings, $33,119 in Wyoming, and $43,099 in Washington, DC.

Why are we so stinking low?

The Work vs. Welfare Trade-Off

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:41 PM
 
1,648 posts, read 2,860,260 times
Reputation: 1440
Why are eight states giving more handouts than Georgia? We have some opportunities to trim the fat.

If a man doesn't work, neither should he eat.

It's pretty simple.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 PM
 
2,685 posts, read 5,427,905 times
Reputation: 950
Interesting stats. I am surprised that some states pay such large benefits. Breaking it down to per hour:

Ga - $9.51
NC - $13.53
WY - $15.92
DC - $20.72

Curious - Why is a family defined as Mom and 2 kids or is that a typo. I realize there are many of such families but what if there are two parents?



Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good news or bad news, depending on your point of view.

According to the Cato Institute, the value of Georgia's welfare package ranks as the 42d lowest among the states.

A Georgia family (mom and two kids) would have to earn $19,797 in pretax dollars to equal their average benefits. By comparison, the benefits package in North Carolina is worth $28,142 in pretax earnings, $33,119 in Wyoming, and $43,099 in Washington, DC.

Why are we so stinking low?

The Work vs. Welfare Trade-Off

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home...CHICAGO
3,383 posts, read 4,388,587 times
Reputation: 4176
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Why are eight states giving more handouts than Georgia? We have some opportunities to trim the fat.

If a man doesn't work, neither should he eat.

It's pretty simple.
You do know that most poor people have jobs, right? Many have two or three. You ever heard of the working poor? Apparently not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM
 
30,583 posts, read 29,102,348 times
Reputation: 11437
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Curious - Why is a family defined as Mom and 2 kids or is that a typo. I realize there are many of such families but what if there are two parents?
I don't know why they defined it that way. I would think the old stereotype that mom gets stuck at home with the kids while dad is out there earning a living is ancient history.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 PM
 
30,583 posts, read 29,102,348 times
Reputation: 11437
I guess this fits right in with the ATL being at the bottom of the heap in terms of upward mobility.

Study Suggest the Bootstraps for the Poor May Not be Strong Enough
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,242 posts, read 5,043,471 times
Reputation: 2750
Is this a bad thing? Taken at face value, I would say no.

But what are these benefits? I'd say spend more if it helps someone get out of their situation.

Spend as much or less if it just helps (an able bodied) someone maintain their current situation.

If more welfare legitimately equals better upward mobility, then it is the right thing to do. I just get the feeling that more welfare spending will not return better upward mobility.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM
 
30,583 posts, read 29,102,348 times
Reputation: 11437
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
If more welfare legitimately equals better upward mobility, then it is the right thing to do. I just get the feeling that more welfare spending will not return better upward mobility.
We may be driving off a lot of good folks with our low-ball program, however. In North Carolina, you have to make $28,142 before you "beat" the welfare package. In places like Massachusetts, Hawaii or D.C., you've got well over $40,000 in headroom.

Moreover, our benefits have gone down nearly $5,000 since 1995, while many states have gone significantly up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,223 posts, read 1,738,974 times
Reputation: 1472
As someone who works with many poor youth...GA is doing ok. The families aren't wealthy, but they have food, clothing, shelter, heat, air, satellite tv, cell phones, etc. More than enough considering what poor in other countries means. I don't think we need to spend more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,050 posts, read 1,440,759 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Interesting stats. I am surprised that some states pay such large benefits. Breaking it down to per hour:

Ga - $9.51
NC - $13.53
WY - $15.92
DC - $20.72

Curious - Why is a family defined as Mom and 2 kids or is that a typo. I realize there are many of such families but what if there are two parents?
I believe they go on the idea that the father is unknown or not paying child support.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top