U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,604,483 times

Advertisements

I don't know why people say the Civil Rights Museum will be a failure. Really? Much of Atlanta's culture and history revolves around that time period. It's also a museum that will actually have a legitimate permanent collection unlike the High. The architecture of the building is also really great. If the MLK museum is successful, I don't see why the Civil Rights museum can't be.

The College football hall of fame I can see being a failure. I see that as silly. Almost as silly as a NASCAR museum. Let Charlotte have that. They really have no culture past that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM

9,008 posts, read 16,169,494 times
I see both as see once and done... (Civil Rights Museum / College Football HOF) .

They may change out the displays/exisbits but are you going to go back often?

I think the Civil Rights Museum will survive (there will be Foundation / corporate support behind it.)

The College Football, might get some people who are in town for a convention, but College Football fan aim for one team, How many of them care about the greatest player from other colleges?

The MLK Museum is part of the National Park System, so our Tax dollars support it.
I think the King Center is in/or has been on financial life support few times.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,059,331 times
The CFHOF will work if they promote that big indoor football field that it will have. People will want that experience

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 PM

27,793 posts, read 24,850,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
People I met in Charlotte, in person: I go there every year for the Falcons-Panthers game. There's no poor showmanship in bringing it up after 7 years because it was in reference to information that came to light this week. You let it go already.
The poor showmanship is in bringing it up on an almost yearly basis at this point. Why does Atlanta seemingly continue to sulk about this, and folks like yourself take joy in it? It makes no sense. It's not moving to Atlanta so the writers of these articles and folks like yourself just need to drop it, as most others on this board have said as well. It's a done deal for better or for worse.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 PM

27,793 posts, read 24,850,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The College football hall of fame I can see being a failure. I see that as silly. Almost as silly as a NASCAR museum. Let Charlotte have that. They really have no culture past that.
SMH...as a city with a very similar history as Atlanta's, Charlotte's local culture is almost like a miniature-sized version of Atlanta's. But you'd know that if you were actually knowledgeable of the city and didn't have such a huge chip on your shoulder regarding it, which is perplexing. You live in the bigger city that offers more but never miss an opportunity to knock the smaller city. I don't get it but oh well.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,981,893 times
Is the college football hall of fame in South Bend going to close? Or will there be two CFHOFs,?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 PM

5,001 posts, read 3,488,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Is the college football hall of fame in South Bend going to close? Or will there be two CFHOFs,?

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2
It's moving from South Bend, so yes.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,604,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
SMH...as a city with a very similar history as Atlanta's, Charlotte's local culture is almost like a miniature-sized version of Atlanta's. But you'd know that if you were actually knowledgeable of the city and didn't have such a huge chip on your shoulder regarding it, which is perplexing. You live in the bigger city that offers more but never miss an opportunity to knock the smaller city. I don't get it but oh well.
What culture or history does it really have? It doesn't really have a significant civil rights era historic prevalence at all and the city barely existed on the map prior to that. Atlanta has much more history and culture than Charlotte. Charlotte's downtown is almost completely lacking in historic buildings. It's pretty sad actually.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:01 PM

4,995 posts, read 5,753,510 times
Quote:
College football is much more cutthroat and competitive than the NFL.
I like college football, but that statement made me laugh. If one thinks the above statement is true, it might be because they are from a college football area and not exposed to pro football.

Again I like college football a lot, but come on, it's a mess. In pros, you get the best players and every time team truly has the opportunity to compete, unlike college where schools are on a vastly different range of ability to compete and that makes for many, many mind numbing blowout games.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM

4,995 posts, read 5,753,510 times
Quote:
What culture or history does it really have?
Charlotte was settled in the 1700s. Atlanta was settled nearly a 100 years later.

Quote:
It doesn't really have a significant civil rights era historic prevalence at all
Why is that a criteria for history? It's fascinating that Atlanta was part of the history, but Seattle doesn't have that history etc.

Quote:
and the city barely existed on the map prior to that. Atlanta has much more history and culture than Charlotte.
Atlanta mattered little outside of the South until many years after WW2.

Quote:
Charlotte's downtown is almost completely lacking in historic buildings. It's pretty sad actually.
It definitely is lacking. Atlanta definitely offers more, but nothing to brag about compared to significant cities.

At the end of the day, neither can change their history, so... so what. It doesn't mater accept to those who truly have an interest in historical character... I've lived in Atlanta for 15 years and I don't know anyone who give s h i t. That's not what transplants (or locals) seem to care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or