U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 PM
 
28,204 posts, read 25,358,693 times
Reputation: 16793

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
What culture or history does it really have?
Are you genuinely asking, or are you being facetious? Because I can educate you if that's what you want. But somehow I think you're satisfied with holding on to your own preconceived notions about the place.

Quote:
It doesn't really have a significant civil rights era historic prevalence at all and the city barely existed on the map prior to that.
Charlotte was founded in the mid-1700's and actually has Revolutionary War history, so what are you talking about? And is a Civil Rights history the only kind of history to have? Charleston "doesn't really have a significant civil rights era historic prevalence at all" either.

Quote:
Atlanta has much more history and culture than Charlotte. Charlotte's downtown is almost completely lacking in historic buildings. It's pretty sad actually.
Atlanta has more historic buildings for sure because it hit a growth spurt earlier in its history and thus has more established cultural institutions, but this is a FAR cry from saying Charlotte has no history or culture. You're no better than the person on the City vs. City board who was arguing that Atlanta had no charm or culture because it's not New Orleans. The fact of the matter is that if you're all about history and/or culture above all else, neither Atlanta or Charlotte will be on your radar. In the South, you'll be heading to NOLA, Charleston, Savannah, Richmond, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,966,345 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
More specifically, you posted an article that doesn't have anything do with Atlanta on an Atlanta message board.

But even still, isn't the writer of the article from Atlanta? Like seriously, why do Atlanta-based publications continue to report on this when it's such ancient history at this point? It has nothing to do with Atlanta and comes across as a childish "I told you so!"
Well say what you want but I did several years ago when they were trying to decide where to put it.I even said it belonged in Charlotte but it would do better in Atlanta.I got attacked by Charlotte posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,966,345 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
On another note, "Talladega Nights" was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
yeh it was!Love that movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:35 PM
 
28,204 posts, read 25,358,693 times
Reputation: 16793
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well say what you want but I did several years ago when they were trying to decide where to put it.I even said it belonged in Charlotte but it would do better in Atlanta.I got attacked by Charlotte posters.
I think it would do better in Charlotte than Atlanta if it were located out by the Lowes Motor Speedway where most racing fans concentrate. But downtown to downtown, yes it would do better in Atlanta since it gets more tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,966,345 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
SMH...as a city with a very similar history as Atlanta's, Charlotte's local culture is almost like a miniature-sized version of Atlanta's. But you'd know that if you were actually knowledgeable of the city and didn't have such a huge chip on your shoulder regarding it, which is perplexing. You live in the bigger city that offers more but never miss an opportunity to knock the smaller city. I don't get it but oh well.
Im really not knocking Charlotte but I am gonna say how I feel.Charlotte is a very nice city but is BORING.Sure it has history and culture,but what is it?
Ive been attacked by Charlotte posters but yet not one has told me how i am wrong by providing some answers as to why.I welcome you to tell me something that would be interesting for many people who visit Charlotte to see or do something that makes it unique.It has NASCAR and cant support that!


I honestly know of anything famous about Charlotte other than NASCAR.If that makes me a hater then so be it.I really hope Charlotte will keep getting better but theres just not much appeal.
It has nothing to do with picking on a smaller city,Nashville is smaller than both but most will say Nashville is a fun city with lots to do.
In fact Nashville has more in common with Atlanta than Charlotte does with Atlanta IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,966,345 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are you genuinely asking, or are you being facetious? Because I can educate you if that's what you want. But somehow I think you're satisfied with holding on to your own preconceived notions about the place.



Charlotte was founded in the mid-1700's and actually has Revolutionary War history, so what are you talking about? And is a Civil Rights history the only kind of history to have? Charleston "doesn't really have a significant civil rights era historic prevalence at all" either.



Atlanta has more historic buildings for sure because it hit a growth spurt earlier in its history and thus has more established cultural institutions, but this is a FAR cry from saying Charlotte has no history or culture. You're no better than the person on the City vs. City board who was arguing that Atlanta had no charm or culture because it's not New Orleans. The fact of the matter is that if you're all about history and/or culture above all else, neither Atlanta or Charlotte will be on your radar. In the South, you'll be heading to NOLA, Charleston, Savannah, Richmond, etc.
I know what you say is true but unlike Savannah or New Orleans,you cannot escape the history or culture.Why does Charlotte feels so much like Atlanta if its older?

Of course Charlotte has history but on a national level of interest,its very minimal.
i disagree about what you say about Southern history and culture in Atlanta
For one thing you cannot discuss Savannah and history without mention Atlanta when discussing the Civil War.(Sherman;s March to Sea)
Gone With The Wind mentions both as well and Rhett Butler was from New orleans.
In Atlanta there are battlefields as wells as historical monument dedicated to the Civil War.In Charlotte I know of very little that has to do with the Revolutionary War.I know they exist somewhere ,but none are famous like those in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 02:59 PM
 
28,204 posts, read 25,358,693 times
Reputation: 16793
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im really not knocking Charlotte but I am gonna say how I feel.Charlotte is a very nice city but is BORING.Sure it has history and culture,but what is it?
Ive been attacked by Charlotte posters but yet not one has told me how i am wrong by providing some answers as to why.I welcome you to tell me something that would be interesting for many people who visit Charlotte to see or do something that makes it unique.It has NASCAR and cant support that!

I honestly know of anything famous about Charlotte other than NASCAR.If that makes me a hater then so be it.I really hope Charlotte will keep getting better but theres just not much appeal.
It has nothing to do with picking on a smaller city,Nashville is smaller than both but most will say Nashville is a fun city with lots to do.
In fact Nashville has more in common with Atlanta than Charlotte does with Atlanta IMO.
Charlotte is not a tourist-oriented city; I'll be the first to admit that. So if one is expecting a bunch of tourist attractions when they visit, they will be disappointed. However, it's a MUCH different experience living there as opposed to visiting sporadically and as one who has lived in the area, I was never truly bored living there (unless I was just lazy and wanted to be).

And Charlotte does support NASCAR; it's just the Hall of Fame in particular that's struggling and again, it's largely because it's not located in the area that's considered the epicenter of NASCAR in the region, the speedway. Heck, it might even do better up in Mooresville where a lot of the racing industry is based.

Despite Nashville being a "more fun city with lots to do," Charlotte has clearly pulled away and is in another weight class. Why? I'd say a major reason is because they don't focus on entertaining tourists, but rather making the city more livable for residents. A reputation as being "boring" among just a couple of folks who really know little about the city beyond some random visits is a pretty small price to pay for increasing job growth and a higher quality of life. The fact of the matter is that as a resident, I don't do the touristy stuff here in Atlanta yet enjoy living here because it's also great for day-to-day living. As Charlotte continues to grow and mature, it will continue to add attractions but I'm glad they aren't adding a bunch of stuff just because such-and-such city has them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,966,345 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte is not a tourist-oriented city; I'll be the first to admit that. So if one is expecting a bunch of tourist attractions when they visit, they will be disappointed. However, it's a MUCH different experience living there as opposed to visiting sporadically and as one who has lived in the area, I was never truly bored living there (unless I was just lazy and wanted to be).

And Charlotte does support NASCAR; it's just the Hall of Fame in particular that's struggling and again, it's largely because it's not located in the area that's considered the epicenter of NASCAR in the region, the speedway. Heck, it might even do better up in Mooresville where a lot of the racing industry is based.

Despite Nashville being a "more fun city with lots to do," Charlotte has clearly pulled away and is in another weight class. Why? I'd say a major reason is because they don't focus on entertaining tourists, but rather making the city more livable for residents. A reputation as being "boring" among just a couple of folks who really know little about the city beyond some random visits is a pretty small price to pay for increasing job growth and a higher quality of life. The fact of the matter is that as a resident, I don't do the touristy stuff here in Atlanta yet enjoy living here because it's also great for day-to-day living. As Charlotte continues to grow and mature, it will continue to add attractions but I'm glad they aren't adding a bunch of stuff just because such-and-such city has them.
Anyone that would say Charlotte is not a nice place to live is crazy but Charlotte at some point will have to find someway to do more than just be business friendly.
Atlanta has managed to do both.Charlotte could too but to be honest I see it eventually at some point struggling to find an idenity. Just like Atlanta used to have that problem.Still does but its not so necessary because it has so many famous claims to fame.Charlotte Im just not sure,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 03:11 PM
 
28,204 posts, read 25,358,693 times
Reputation: 16793
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know what you say is true but unlike Savannah or New Orleans,you cannot escape the history or culture.Why does Charlotte feels so much like Atlanta if its older?

Of course Charlotte has history but on a national level of interest,its very minimal.
i disagree about what you say about Southern history and culture in Atlanta
For one thing you cannot discuss Savannah and history without mention Atlanta when discussing the Civil War.(Sherman;s March to Sea)
Gone With The Wind mentions both as well and Rhett Butler was from New orleans.
In Atlanta there are battlefields as wells as historical monument dedicated to the Civil War.In Charlotte I know of very little that has to do with the Revolutionary War.I know they exist somewhere ,but none are famous like those in Atlanta.
I'm not sure what your point is here because I'm not comparing Atlanta's Civil War history with Charlotte's Revolutionary War history. My point is that Charlotte was more than a blip on the map before the Civil Rights era.

The fact of the matter is that when it comes to history in the South, there's Charleston, Virginia (Richmond, Norfolk, the smaller towns), NOLA, Savannah, St. Augustine, Mobile, and then everywhere else. Atlanta's historical significance is much closer to Charlotte's than to those other cities (although I'm sure you'll vehemently dispute this).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM
 
28,204 posts, read 25,358,693 times
Reputation: 16793
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Anyone that would say Charlotte is not a nice place to live is crazy but Charlotte at some point will have to find someway to do more than just be business friendly.
Why? What Charlotte is doing is working quite well. Why must it engage in a campaign to manufacture a bunch of tourist attractions just because some people think it's boring to visit? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
Atlanta has managed to do both.Charlotte could too but to be honest I see it eventually at some point struggling to find an idenity. Just like Atlanta used to have that problem.Still does but its not so necessary because it has so many famous claims to fame.Charlotte Im just not sure,
If a city has to manufacture a bunch of tourist attractions for an identity, then I think that's pretty sad.

The fact is that Charlotte does have an identity but it just doesn't revolve around anything "sexy" or tourist-oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top